Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

showtime snapping out

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

showtime snapping out

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default showtime snapping out

Have a question about snapping. I have been having a snapping problem with the showtime 4d. Any speed with full elevator (up or down on low rates) It will snap to the left. I have a problem with the left elevator half. With the elevators centered using the counter balance, the left elevator trailing edge will be lower than the right. I have tried using a heat gun, sealing iron, cussing, praying. But no success. I can get it close, but after a flight in the sun, it will go back to where it was. So here is the question, should I try a new elevator set, or center the elevator half and ignore where the counter balance is. Other than that, if I am very careful with the elevator, it is a dream to fly.

I lowered the up elevator from 9 degrees to 7 and then to 6 it still dose it. I even added to the expo up from 25 to 30 and 40, still no differance.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:53 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: showtime snapping out

Where is the CG?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:13 PM
goldenclan

I have the Cg just a little bit (1/8) inch forward of the recomended cg.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Its not impossible, but I doubt the elevators are the cause. I'd measure the wing panels and see if there is a warp in one. Thats more likely the cause of this.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:25 AM
goldenclan

Ok, will check them out.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:09 PM
goldenclan

Mike, I think that I found the source of the problem, I did check the wings, and everything looked good on them (checked with the H9 incidence meter) The left aileron horn was loose! I was able to push the screw out! Before I re-epoxied it The surface would be able to move about 1/8 of an inch both ways! I removed the screw, cleaned it, and the hole, then re-epoxied it using some micro balloons for good measure. I will be test flying it in a few days. About the elevator half. Should I try to line up the trailing edges instead of the counter balance? I tried to heat them up again and had it looking pretty good. Brought the plane out on the drive way and let it set in the sun for a few min. It went back to the original shape. I bring out a few airplanes when I go flying, so they sit in the sun for a while till it is it turn.

Have one more question for you. What would be a good first gasser. I have a cap 232 (kange 27%) on glow that I have been flying and getting good at. I was thinking about a 33% plane. Either the H9 edge, or the GP cap 580.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have the same problem with the Showtime rolling out of tight loops or rocking a lot when full up elevator is applied. Should I twist some negative incidence into the wing tips and use a heat gun to hold it there?

-Pat