Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Rudder trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rudder trim

Hi Mike,
Could you give some tips on getting the rudder trimmed properly on a aerobatic plane? I am a little fuzzy as to when side thrust should be adjusted and when rudder should be trimmed. Typically, I'll use a vertical line for adjusting side thrust. If it drifts left as you slow on the upline, dial in a little more right thrust. How do you know when the rudder is trimmed properly? Flying loops or....? I've looked at most of the trim charts out there and haven't seen rudder specifically addressed. Thanks for any replies.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rudder trim

Uplines and loops. Side thrust and rudder trim will have a simialr effect. A throttle to rudder mix is helpful on some models (right trim increases with higher throttle) is you cant get it to trim properly.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one do you typically adjust first when trimming, side thrust or rudder? And is there a point when you say "hmmm, this ain't workin', better try the other"?. Again, thanks for any replies.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always adjust rudder trim first. If it just needs a little trim I leave it, if it needs a lot, I adjust the side thrust or I'll mix thrott to rudder.