Notices

carbon fins change flight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 12:36 PM
elkiwi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fins change flight?

Im an average flyer, if I change the stock fins to my r50 v2, is diferent handle, or setting to my actual I like the carbon 3d tail fins.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: carbon fins change flight?

I tried the fins recently. they do make a difference i think, but the difference is small. ive been playing with paddles, main and tail rotors too, those make a HUGE difference.

what i have seen so far (limited experience) is i like bigger tail rottors, i use the tail rotors from the 60 and trim them down to 92mm to prevent main and tail hitting (the mains can flex a lot if you push it.) one of my buddies totalled his rappy using 95's.

The blades make huge diff too i use the TT carbons and mavriks, the mavricks do traveling flips a lot tighter and cleaner than the TT's, but the TT's seem to do other things better. i have to nearly identical R50's one with TTcarbons the other with mavrikk blades not sure which one i like the best but they are both great.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:55 AM
50FEET
My Feedback: (16)

CF fins are for 3D mostly. The holes in them cut down on wind resistance when your spinning it .
Old 10-12-2003, 12:09 AM
pistole

Basically , you'll get faster piros. Thats it.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 PM
raptor_dude

not faster piro's---better holding stregnth during backwards and sideways flight, its not the carbon that makes them good, I use a plastic set and they work just fine.

Colin
Old 10-13-2003, 09:18 AM
Raptor^Norway

Carbon is stiffer than plastic, and that is better. The fins are more rigid and won't vibrate(flex) as much as plastic during hard core manuovers. And as said before, the cut-outs is to minimise drag and getting better hold and fastrer piros.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Raptor^Norway

Carbon is stiffer than plastic, and that is better. The fins are more rigid and won't vibrate(flex) as much as plastic during hard core manuovers. And as said before, the cut-outs is to minimise drag and getting better hold and fastrer piros.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:22 PM
raptor_dude

Since the fins are cut out in flight there is bairly any drag on them thus they don't flex.

Colin
Old 10-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Raptor^Norway

It's the vibrations from the main rotor during hard core manuvers that will be transfered all over the heli. If the fins are soft they will flex and vibrate. If they are rigid, the vibrations from the main rotor will not affect the fins that much. Thus you have a shoother heli.

Vibrations from the main rotor is caused by large and rapid pitch changes in disturbed air.
(If you stall the blades/disc it will cause vibrations).
Old 10-14-2003, 05:13 AM
pistole

Carbon fins are lighter than stock plastic ones.

With all them holes , there is less air resistance , thus faster flights and faster piros.

They look nicer.

They are more hip.

You look like a better pilot.

All the babes are going to knock themselves out on your carbon finned equipped heli.

You are now an official heli stud.

Nuff said.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 PM
raptor_dude

Pistol, the carbon fins don't make your heli fly any faster or piro any faster, the piro rate is set up with the gyro and fast flight changes with engine power and pitch ranges. I can see why you would think they woudl make faster piros etc....but the gyro will only let the tail spin so fast due to setup, no matter 3D or solid fins. 3D fins just means the tail requires less pitch to spin so fast, the gyro still keeps it at the same rate.

Colin
Old 10-14-2003, 09:38 PM
pistole

I don't agree with you.

More importantly , I don't really care for this issue.

Enjoy (or not) your carbon fins and LOOK OUT for all them babes falling over themselves to get a look at them.............
Old 10-15-2003, 12:00 AM
pistole

That and read up on this here :-

http://www.digital-fusion.ca/sbr/3D_Performance.htm

Cheers.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:38 AM
JitterBug

My R50 virtually no horizontal fin, but it fly great.......

JB
Old 10-15-2003, 03:16 PM
raptor_dude

That and read up on this here :- http://www.digital-fusion.ca/sbr/3D_Performance.htm
Yes, I wrote that article, but where did I say that 3D fins make the tail spin faster? I can see how you don't agree with me but....what are your reasons? The gyro knows how fast it wants to spin, if you swap fins back and fourth the gyro will make sure the tail spins at the same rate, BUT....if you are using full pitch while piroing the 3D fins will let it spin a little faster, but how fast the tail spins is however fast the gyro (you and your radio programing) decides to let it spin. (who uses full pitch when doing piros?)

Colin
Old 10-15-2003, 08:03 PM
captain1

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the horizontal and vertical stabilizer are exactly that are they not?? They work exactly like a fixed wings stabillizers.

If that is the case then cutting holes in them makes them not do what they are supposed to so (ie weather vane into the direction of flight). In the case of 3D this is porbably desirable, but then the carbon 3D fins are doing nothing but looking good.

Then it would probably be better for 3D to have no fins at all would it not?? reason why the top pro's are not running no fins - their sponsers dont want them to - they wanna sell the carbon fins that are doing nothing after all!!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:33 PM
raptor_dude

Fins are cosmetic, they don't do anything for 3D, some FAI guys like a big horizontal fin because it does a little when going real fast. The reason guys run fins is because they look real bad without them and the vertical one keeps the tail out of the ground. they don't stablize the heli at all.....there not like the wing or tail on a plank, tail performance just goes up with no fins/cut out fins.....no difference when hovering or doing normal loops and rolls.

Colin
Old 10-16-2003, 09:06 PM
captain1

Colin,

I disagree with you. The fins do work in forward flight. Shure they are doing nothing in a hover, and when moving around the sky the gyro is flighting them, but at the end of the day they will try to "weather vane" the chopper to follow the direction of flight.

The best way to test this theory would be to disable your gyro then try to fly backwards. See how quickly the tail will snap around.

Problem is that in 3D you dont want that tail to follow the flight direction so they cut holes in the fins to diminish this reaction as well as reduce drag caused by the tail trying to move a area of wind the size of the fins.

Also the fins effects are being fought by modern heading hold gyros. (In rate mode and with fins in FF you can turn that chopper without even using rudder - the fins will do it for you).

So then yes now days they are more cosmetic than anything else. The 3D fins dont "make you pirouett faster". A more accurate description is "they dont slow your pirouette down as much".
Old 10-17-2003, 06:44 AM
raptor_dude

The best way to test this theory would be to disable your gyro then try to fly backwards. See how quickly the tail will snap around.
Do this without a fin and it will spin around too!

Colin
Old 10-17-2003, 11:18 PM
pistole

Colin,

I have just put in the Auto R Pulley onto my Rap30V2 to try to cure the Wah Wah , as per your recommendation at SBR. Hope it works !

Great site by the way.

Thanks and bye.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:46 AM
raptor_dude

Pistol,

I got mine really bad at 1900 rpm and as soon as I put it on I was grinning from ear to ear! You'll like not having the wah was! Thanks for the comments on the site, we try and keep her in good shape, glad ya like it.

Good luck,

Colin
Old 10-20-2003, 05:59 AM
pistole

Works , that Auto R Pulley. But the flight characteristics do change slightly .... did you notice this Colin ?

The heli seems a tad less responsive. Maybe I am just getting old....
Old 10-20-2003, 05:15 PM
raptor_dude

I didn't notice anything, the split gear can have no impact on how the heli feels....the only place I noticed it was in autos, tail slides and apraches in idle up. If you find it too slow add some TS paddles

Colin
Old 10-21-2003, 04:22 AM
Vortexgen

im confused, so what i did was held my standard stabiliser out the window of my car at 50km/h with its flat surface offered to the oncoming wind (as would be encountered during flip or piro). I was simply amazed to find that my standard fins offered a substantial amount of resistance compared to my carbon 3D fins with the gaping holes cut in them.

i can only assume from the laws of aerodynamics that piro rates and flips could be done faster due to less resistance with 3D fins, this comfirming my long held belief in the benefit of carbon fins for 3D.

lets forget about the gyro limiting piro rates, and take it out of the equation altogether. Do you really believe that the piro rate will be the same for a normal and 3D fin setup?

I think not, based on aerodynamics. Put any prop directly in front of a wall blocking 30% of its thrust as opposed to 10% and you will soon disccover why the statement "3D stabilisers allow faster piro and flip rates than standard stabilisers" is true.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:37 AM
raptor_dude

You'd be suprised, they don't make flips or piros any faster, unless you are doing piros at full thro and then switch to 3D/no fin it will spin a bit faster, but I flying 3D with full tail stick looks ugly, I find they help in tail slides and fast backwards flight since you get more gyro gain with them. If I do piro flips with solid fins and then with 3D fins I don't notice a difference in the speed of the flip but the tail will be a bit moe constant because at full thro there is more airflow throught it.

Colin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.