Notices

Tail hold Gyro and Rudder Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:15 PM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail hold Gyro and Rudder Trim?

I own a Raptor 60, OS-70 with a 401 gyro.. With a tail-in hover it still wants to turn to the left for the entire flight. I thought the idea behind a heading hold gyro was you don't have to use rudder trim to keep the heading locked? Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tail hold Gyro and Rudder Trim?

You shouldn't need the trim. Are you sure you have the gyro set up right? What are you using for a servo? Are you flying in normal mode or heading hold( not that it matters), it still should hold. I find that mine will drift a little in normal mode, but it's rock solid in heading hold.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Darksider

Default RE: Tail hold Gyro and Rudder Trim?

ok here's how i set mine up, first i throw the manual away cuz as far as i could tell it says to use rudder trim which is entirely insane, first make sure ur balls on the 4th hole out on the servo arm, this is about optimal for a 401/9253, next reset your rudder trims to neutral in all flight mode's, turn ur transmitter and heli on let it stabilise then switch it into non heading hold mode using ur transmitter, now look at your servo arm it should be at 90 degree's to the servo case at this position, if it isn't unscrew the servo arm and put it 90 degree's, once you've done that reconnect the linkages back up and have a look at where the pitch ring on the tail is at when in this postion basically what ur looking to have is about 6-8 degree's of nose right pitch in the tail blades, that means that the brass ring should be biased towards the left hand side of the tail shaft, once you've set it roughly by eye just turn the limit pot on the gyro lower until the pitch plate doesn't bind on either side when holding in full rudder in both directions, then while leaving the heli in non heading hold start her up and hover her at this point u may still need to hold left or right correction in to hold the nose steady, but thats ok just remember which direction the heli wants to go then retrim the tail linkage mechanically (NOT USING RUDDER TRIM ON THE RADIO) until it lift's off and will hover without a tendency to have to hold one direction rudder in when flying nose straight into the wind, once you've done that you've trimmed it, simply recheck that the limit pot doesn't cause any binding or if it can be turned up a bit since u've retrimmed the linkage , then switch into heading hold mode and go enjoy ur fabulous new locked in 401 tail

thats it

Gareth
Old 10-30-2003, 09:21 AM
knpjdad

Default RE: Tail hold <span class=

I am using the 401/9253 combo. I have only started flying heli's this spring, I had another heli owner set this up for me, but he set it up for 3d flight, and I had never even hovered.. So right from the get go, I didn't like how this thing felt in the air WAY TO TOUCHY. So I have messed with pitch curves and such so I now feel like I can control it better, but the only thing I didn't know, was how to fix the tail drifting.

Gareth:
I thank you for all the input, and I will go home tonight, and set it up in that fashion!!!

Thanks a million!
RC
Old 11-02-2003, 12:34 AM
pistole

You cannot use rudder trim.

You can adjust the CENTRE (sub-trim) function on your computer TX in order to eliminate tail-walking when in HH mode. Just adjust the Centre(subtrim) either to the positive or to the negative to get the tail to hold.

Its just that what everyone forgets is that you need to reset the gyro my turning if off and on again after adjusting the TX. Hope that sorts you out.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:58 AM
knpjdad

Well, I used the information from Darksider, and pistole, I now have my tail LOCKED in during hover!!

Thanks for the all advice! One again RCUniverse proves to be the best place to go for any RC need!!

Thanks!!