Notices

$24 Futaba S3010 servos in R50?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:15 PM
voodoodrul
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $24 Futaba S3010 servos in R50?

Futaba S3010 servos are a plastic geared, .20sec, 72oz @ 4.8v or .16sec, 90oz @ 6v servo with bearing. For $24 they seem to be perfectly suited to a Raptor 50.. Any comments on this? I ran Tower TS-69's in my R30 without a hitch and they were .20sec @ 42oz..

Any problems with running the S3010's ya think?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:35 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: $24 Futaba S3010 servos in R50?

Depends on how you fly. If you are just hovering and flying around, they will work fine. If you are doing hard 3D, I wouldn't use them.

I used to use the cheaper servos in my 60, but 2 times within 3 months I stripped all three cyclic servos and ended up doing major damage. I went to the $109 metal gear servos with .11 sec transit times and really like them. Have been flying them for a couple years now and never had another problem. Hate loosing a bird to a cheap stripped servo. Both crashes would have easily paid for the good servos. Wouldn't run anything less personally.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:39 AM
raptor_dude

They'll work fine...I've used 148s for 3D before and had no problems!

Colin
Old 04-16-2004, 05:07 PM
voodoodrul

Flyboy - next time we meet up at the Fort I'll show you the most likely reason you stripped your servos.. It happened to me once and I also bought metal servos instead for my .60, but I'll show you the scary reason they probably stripped on you. Nobody believes me on this but the washout arms can hit the edge of the swashplate in extreme throws.. A servo doesn't have the strength to break itself.. it needs outside forces.

Oh well.. if it goes in the ground you can tell me "told ya so.." ;o)
Old 04-17-2004, 08:12 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: voodoodrul

Flyboy - next time we meet up at the Fort I'll show you the most likely reason you stripped your servos.. It happened to me once and I also bought metal servos instead for my .60, but I'll show you the scary reason they probably stripped on you. Nobody believes me on this but the washout arms can hit the edge of the swashplate in extreme throws.. A servo doesn't have the strength to break itself.. it needs outside forces.

Oh well.. if it goes in the ground you can tell me "told ya so.." ;o)

I was just thinking to myself how can a servo strip its gears in normal use? I would be thinking that a servo can only supply its maximum torque and that the gear train would be designed strong enough to withstand that torque.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:48 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It isn't the servo force that strips the servo, it is the force the mechanics are putting back on the servo arm in extreme maneuvers. If your surface is putting more force back on the servo arm for what ever reason, the gears can't handle it and and split.

Say you pull really hard and the excess load to the blades add a lot of force to the swashplate, that force is exserted back to the servo arm and the gear lets go.

Who knows, that is the way I thought it happened. I could be all wet on the subject. I just know it hasn't been a problem since I went to better servos and I sure like the faster transit times better.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:00 PM
voodoodrul

On the Raptor, spin the head until one of the washout arm links is facing the tail. Tilt the swash at a rather extreme forward and right. Play around and you'll notice that the washout arm link WILL hit the swashplate. I'm doing this right now on both a Raptor 60 and a 50. Same is true for all Raptors I've seen.

When I lost my Raptor 30 in extreme manuevers I just happened to be turning extreme right and diving.. I was dogfighting a plane and came down from above to get some speed up.

Remember to go easy on swash throws on the Raptors and really all helis.. Well before binding is ideal. Need hot dog paddles to get more out of it..