Search
Notices

What glow plug for a TT36 PRO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 02:53 PM
zippety-zap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What glow plug for a TT36 PRO?

Hi all, I got my heli running finally, it turned out my problem was a glo plug. I installed the O.S. #8 and it ran fine for 2 runs, then it would quit again, switched to another plug, again it did the same. If i richen it up, it wont have enough power to hover, but if I lean it, it'll burn out my glow plugs. Any suggestions for glow plugs? I heard on here to put a glow plug w/ an idle bar, i'll try that if i can find one. Thanks guys... -Joe
Old 05-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Charlie

Default RE: What glow plug for a TT36 PRO?

I ran OS 8 plugs in my old tt36 and never had a problem (with the glow plug). The most common reason for glow plugs burning up is from running to lean. You can try a Enya #3, I have read that people have good luck with them.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:32 PM
zippety-zap

How many turns out on the high and low screw are you running at? currently im around 2 1/2-3 turns out on the high end, dont know on the low end. the engine still gets so hot that i cant touch it... -Joe
Old 05-17-2004, 05:20 AM
Charlie

I'm not really sure what settings I use to run at (I cant remember), it been over two years seens I have run that motor. I just check the setting on the motor and they are at 3 turns out on the high speed and 1 1/2 on the low, but I don't know if that was the way I use to run it or not. If your running hot, open your low speed about half a turn and go from there. I found the TT36 a hard motor to get tuned right (I never did get it working right), thats why I changed to the OS32.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:42 AM
emosolo

Morning...

I have a TT39 in my Heli. Originally I was running OS A5 Glows, but the engine could never been tuned to sound sweet and transitions were not smooth either. It was then recomended that I try and OS A8 Glow. I did and it did. The engine is running really well.

By your second post I might even suggest that it is not your glow plug that is causing you grief but more than likely the fuel that you are using. I run 15% in my engine with the low needle setup at about 1 1/2 turns out and the main needle at around 2 6/8th out.

You say your engine has not enough power if you richen it, which is what you are going to have to do to cool it down before you stuff your motor up, so the only logical thing to do is try a higher nitro content in your fuel. This will add more power and allow you to richen the engine. My fuel is as follows: 15 Nitro, 14% Synthetic and 4% Caster. You can run 18% Caster and no sythetic if you like, I have found that 18% works well, but is really messy at the end of the day which is why I use sythetic as well.

After you have hovered your heli for about 5 mins, land it, kill the engine and place your finger up inside the backplate of the engine. If you burn your finger, your engine is running hot, richen your mixture, if its hot but you can hold your finger there without it falling off, its about right.

I hope that this helps a bit.

Regards
Solo
Old 05-17-2004, 02:04 PM
zippety-zap

I called up ACE Hobby today and they told me to ship it in and they will replace it with a new TT39! WOW what nice folks. However I am going to try and run Castor in it first, a few fellow plane pilots told me that might help keep it cooler since castor doesnt burn like synthetic does. So I will try that today, If that doesnt work then in it goes! I bought my heli about 3 years ago and am just now starting to fly it, so the engine is a lil out of warranty but they said they will give it to me anyway, wow, i wish the world had more of these people ya know!? Ill post up how she runs after i try the castor, this really sucks when your trying to start.. as always, Thanks- Joe
Old 05-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Z-rc

Hi Joe,
I also ahve a TT 39 with well over 70 hrs on the engine. Run Cool power 15 or 12.5% heli. Run an Enya #3 plug and make sure to set the needle slightly rich on the first few runs. As long as your fuel system ie. tank, pick-up clunk and tubing is in good order you should have no problems. Lean conditions will cook a plug in less than one flight, avoid harsh engine tones and look for the smoke, its your friend, as well as the engines...read as sufficient lube and cooling. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:15 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a TT36 I ran forever it seemed like, ran great, had a weston pipe, and a Enya#3, mine was kinda fuel specific, had to have Byrons 15% to be happy.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:27 AM
emosolo

Morning....

Any further updates Zipp?

Regards
Solo