Community
Search
Notices

Gyro setup problem, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:06 AM
emosolo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro setup problem, PLEASE HELP!

Morning...

This is now more than irritating!

I went on to the www.jrradios.com website and downloaded the Manual for the Gyro I have. Gyro is a G410T.

Quote from downloaded manual:

For best performance, attach the tail control rod ball to
the servo arm at a distance of approximately 16–18 mm(It was originally at about 10mm) from the center mounting screw of the servo arm. The performance of the G410T will be greatly reduced if the tail control rod ball is attached at a distance of less than 16mm.

Revolution Mixing Hover Mode 5%L

Ok...

Problems are as follows:
The servo now binds, if you set them correctly using subtrim thats all fine, but then adding just a little left or right stick sets the Gyro in action and the servo will move 100% to the left and 100% to the right depending on which stick you gave it.

The tail drifts a little to the left all the time, so I add in right rudder stick to center it, thats fine but I end up adding in more and more right stick until I have to land from the hover because right stick no longer effects tail movement.

Why would one have to use revo mix when in HH Mode, the manual I got with the unit says use 0% revo mixing, yet the one I downloaded says use 5%.

The Manual I downloaded is for the same model gyro I have, so why are the instructions different. The one I downloaded seems more comprehensive and has more detail in it then the Manual I received with the unit.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:18 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gyro setup problem, PLEASE HELP!

My understanding is that Revo mix has to be off (0%) for HH gyros in HH mode. The reason for this is that in HH mode your stick is giving a yaw demand and not selecting a tail pitch position.

If you have any revo mix then the gyro will see this as a turn command. The HH part will hold the heading and the Revo mix will tell it to turn. Thus the HH appears not to work. It is in fact doing it's job correctly.

Revo mix is used in Non Heading Hold mode only. The instructions do state to use 5%L (Rate mode/Heli only). The bit in brackets is important.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Nanuk

Same here, my instructions for my gy401 says to disable the revo function comepletly.

Nanuk
Old 05-20-2004, 09:32 PM
voodoodrul
My Feedback: (9)

I know this sounds stupid and forgive me for mentioning it, but from what you describe it sounds like the gyro is completely reversed... At least that would explain the 100% throws.. You push a tiny bit of left and they gyro thinks left is right.. so since the heli never moved right, it keeps adding more right very quickly.

That would only stand to reason though if you are a newbie and you're just learning to hover with just the LIGHTEST rudder inputs..

First off, kill the revo mixing. Absolutely no need for it on a HH gyro.

Second, check the tail rotor control yoke. Make sure it's slop free.. A tiny bit of slop on the tail slider can cause all kinds of weird problems.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:15 AM
emosolo

Mornin,

The gyro was not reversed... I stipped my entire chopper down to the frame and inspected every inch of every thing, I am from South Africa so every cm, anyhow, I came across many little things that were not 100%

1. Flybar bearing didnt seem healthy but from further investigation I found that some locktite had gone into the centre of the seesaw between the 2 seesaw bearing. Baked it in the oven for 2 mins, got rid of all the nonsense and now its is smooth as hell!

2. Clutch Bell - The one set screw that holds the starter on had stripped and come loose, this allowed the bell to sit lower than what it should.

3. The head asembly had a bar in it. The bar that hold the blade grips in place, I am not sure what its called, anyhow it was out by about 1mm. Replaced it and re-tracked the blades. I had turned out the one Double link in order to track the blades correctly, now I know why the blades were out of track.

4. I replaced the tail belt, mine was worn.

5. Had my mate at the LHF tune my engine for me. The reason my tail was drifting so much was and he says, that the engine was not tuned properly, so the difference in torgue between high and low was huge, the tail simply coudn't keep up.

So many issues, I dont know if everything is now resolved, but she seems to be handling a million times better....

Thanks for all the help in all my previous posts...

Regards
Solo
Old 05-26-2004, 04:56 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove the REVO mix?

Just a point of info the Torque of the engine will increase as you increase the throttle. The tuning of the engine helps as it removes the 'roughness'. This roughness produces rapidly changing torque that the gyro can not keep up with. I would have thought that this would produce a 'kick' rather than a drift.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 AM
emosolo

Mornin,

I never did have revo mixing enabled, I was simply confused by the two manuals saying diff things. Perhaps I was incorrect in saying drift, but the tail in climb and fall would turn more than an acceptable amount.

Regards
Solo