Search
Notices

hovered for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
jcole43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hovered for the first time

i hovered for the first time tonight!!!!!!! ran almost a full tank of fuel through it before it got to dark upon setting it down and shutting down i touched the engine case to check how hot it was and couldnt hold on for long!!!!!! is this tooo hot? engine is a TT39 pro with 15% nitro cool power heli fuel high speed needle is out 3.5 turns low speed is out 2.5 turns. the engine didnt seem like it lost any power from beginning to end but is this too hot also it didnt seem like there is much smoke in the exhaust compared to other helis ive seen flown! this is anew adventure for me i think im doing pretty good for the first time at helis with no sim practice,or help from any one!!!!! dont think im bragging i just remember how hard it was to get an airplane up and back down without having to break out the CA or go to the LHS for repair parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please tell me how hot an engine should be after a tank of fuel just hovering!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:57 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hovered for the first time

First off, congratulations! Keep at it!

The finger method isn't that great for checking engine temp, IMO. I can't hold my finger on an engine for any length of time, even when it's not running hot. I might be a sissy though.

If you're not getting a good smoke trail, you're probably lean. I don't know the settings for that engine, but richen the engine a good bit and try it out. I'd keep going rich until the engine doesn't hold rpm steady in a hover (the heli will rise and fall without collective inputs) and then lean it out a few clicks at a time until it smooths out, but still gives good smoke.

Whatever you do, don't run lean.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:35 PM
emosolo

Mornin,

I am not sure where you touched the engine, but as explained to me, my method is as follows:

Hover for 5 mins, land kill the engine, stick your finger underneath the engine into the base plate. If you can hold your finger there with no problems, you are fine. If you cant hold your finger on the base plate for more than a second or so, you're hot. If you get an instant blister and your finger melts and falls off, youre way way way too hot!

This is however just a guide, it has nothing to do with your engine tuning, it is rather a result of your tuning and not a way to test if you are tuned.

Regards
Solo
Old 05-27-2004, 10:22 AM
jcole43

i stuck my finger on the back plate of the engine . it was hot enough that i couldnt hold it there for maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 second!!! what is the best tool for measuring the temp?a temp gun or one of the onboard sensors?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 PM
emosolo

I have a mate with a temp gun... works well.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:28 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

What's the acceptable temp range for 2-stroke heli engines?

I have a temp gun, I just need what's too hot...
Old 06-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

I like to keep my heli engines under 220 degree's.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:44 PM
emosolo

Mornin...

According to Raptortechnique.com I believe that 220deg is about right...

Regards
Solo