Notices

Raptor 30 and Webra Speed 35 Comp Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 10:00 AM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 and Webra Speed 35 Comp Engine

I have a Webra Speed 35 engine installed in my Raptor 30 and have about a little under or over a gallon of fuel through it and so far the engine isn't really all that powerfull. I know it takes some fuel to break these engines in but I figured after a gallon it should start to show some of its power. I heard that these engines are so powerfull that I may overspeed the rotors if i am not carefull! Right now I don't see that ever happening but again it is still too early to tell. Right now I am running the upgrade muffler and 15% coolpower fuel. I was wondering if a tuned pipe would help out. I have a Weston or a Helimax pipe in mind. In a few weeks I will be running the new CoolPower 20% heli fuel to see if that helps also. Worst case scenerio is I will be selling my 30 to buy a 50.......I don't want to get the conversion, I would rather build the 50 but right now I don't see that happening for a long while.

Basically should I try to make this engine get more power from higher nitro fuel, or a tuned pipe or just wait until the engine is completely run in?? It would be nice to hear from somebody that has a speed 35 in their Raptor!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:55 AM
=XGC= OzZ

Default I had that engine in my Rappy.

It will take a while to break in.
It has power, but breaking in time really stinks on them,but when you get to that piont , you should be happy with it.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

It takes about 2 gals at least before it's broken in.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Raydee

Thanks for the reply guys I will just wait it out and see!
Old 07-06-2002, 06:41 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: Raptor 30 and Webra Speed 35 Comp Engine

Originally posted by Raydee
Basically should I try to make this engine get more power from higher nitro fuel, or a tuned pipe or just wait until the engine is completely run in?? It would be nice to hear from somebody that has a speed 35 in their Raptor!
Too much nitro! The engine is designed to run on 0%-5% nitro.

I've a Comp. 35 and Weston pipe in my Rap; I'm running 5% fuel. I have just under a gallon-and-a-half through the engine and its running quite well. I've never run any other fuel in it - not necessary.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Raydee

Which Webra engine do you have the red head or the black? Mine is the black and is made to run on higher nitro than the Red head. Check out the link.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ptab=tech#tabs
Old 07-06-2002, 10:31 PM
romshak

i have a speed 35 in r30 and it runs awsome on 5-15%fuel
took about 4-5 gallons to break in though
sounds like to much nitro no matter what horizon says i was told the only difff. between the red and black was the carb
maybe you can get ahold of jeff dickson tt rep he seems to have experience with this engine in r30. he says to run over 1800 headspeed with this engine you have to switch to r50 gear ratio

hope this helps
Old 07-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Raydee

Well I emailed Webra and I will see what they say about the engine. Right now I am running 15% and I can't tell if it is detonating. The engine temp is right around 195 so it isn't really running too hot. I did post the same topic on TT's web board but I didn't get any replies yet.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:55 AM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

give it some more time Raydee, you are not driving your brandnew car with full speed of the lot neither...
Old 07-07-2002, 01:10 AM
romshak

try posting on Ace's forum again only post your topic towards Jeff Dickson and ask him about the engine b/c I found that he would answer the post if you do it that way.
He is very knowledgable about engines and helped me out. I don't why he didn't answer previous posts but maybe if you post again he will answer b/c I know he is still on there b/c he just answered posts on Ace's website and run riders website today.
I have the red head in my r-30 and I also have a webra speed 35 brand new in the box from Horizon that has a silver head. If you go to webra's website you will find that the only difference between the red and silver head is the compression. I don't know what the difference is between the red and the black that you have other than the black head has the promix carb and the red and silver heads both have the tnn2 carbs. Don't know what the difference between the 2 carbs are b/c the carb that's on Horizon's website with the picture of the black head looks like the same carb that is on my red head and the silver one.
Sorry but I don't have webra's website address but it shouldn't be too hard to find. The motor really runs good on 5% don't really notice much difference between 5 & 15% on power. my r-30 will pull 9.5 degrees of pitch on either fuel at 1780 head speed. I was not impressed with the 15% fuel over the 5% I thought that it would be a very noticable increase in power but it still pulls the same pitch on either fuel other than on 15% I can run it a little richer and it smokes alot!!! and from what I've seen people like to see the smoke trail like cp-30% does on any other heli engine. I for the time being will probably continue to use 15% b/c there is only a $2 price difference at my LHS and I kind of like the smoke. Jeff told me that to run anything over 1800 head speed that I would need r-50 gear ratio to make the motor happy. Haven't tried the new gear ratio b/c I don't want to go thru all of the work of changing that gear on the clutch bell. Maybe if I dumb thumb it bad enough and have to spit the frames I might try the different gear ratio but untill then it runs too good to go thru all that work. I would also like to stress that the first four gallons of fuel thru the engine was 5% fuel.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:23 AM
Raydee

So let me ask you this.....at what point did you start to see a noticeable increase in power?
Old 07-07-2002, 02:20 AM
romshak

about 2.5-3 galloms of 5%fuel and i didn,t see any diff in power between 5 and 15% when i first tried 15 i was dissapointed but after playing with the needles there is no noticable diiff in power between 5&15%
i am not a heli expert only about 4yrs but i can tell that the webra runs a littel warm so i made a cooling shroud for it
when i set my top needle i use my gv1 and record top rpm without bogging dont know if that is the correct way
the only thing that i heard other people complain about the webra is that they take a long time to break in and they are hard to tune
wich i found both to be true i almost put my worn out tt36 back in the first few gallons but now on my 5th gall i wouldnt trade my webra for any other 30 size engine
Old 07-07-2002, 02:49 AM
Raydee

Well for now I am just going to keep flying the 15% and run as many gallons through as I can and see how the engine performs!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:33 AM
GaryC-RCU

Default Snap

Raydee,

I am using the exact same configuration as you, R30 with Webra 35 and "deluxe" muffler. I am using 10% Coolpower and it has had a nearly 3 gallons of fuel (the UK distributor recommended 10% as it would help to keep the engine running cooler). Anyway, I struggle to get more that 8.5 degrees without it bogging down.

I am currently waiting for a Weston pipe to see if this improves matters. I'll post my findings when it arrives.

Having said that the engine has always started first time, never quit, idles like a sewing machine and has excellent pick-up.

Keep me posted of any developments.

Gary
Old 07-08-2002, 02:04 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by Raydee
Which Webra engine do you have the red head or the black? Mine is the black and is made to run on higher nitro than the Red head. Check out the link.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ptab=tech#tabs
Mine is the redhead.

195 degrees is on the rich side. When I first started running mine in it would bog down while hovering. I assumes it was overheating and opened the needle... I finally bought a non-contact thermometer and tested the engine. Its temperature was at 192 degrees - well outside the optimal range of 220-230 degrees. Mine now is running right around 220 degrees, and is sweet!
I've posted a writeup of this experience here.

The Competition and Speed versions have slightly different port timing and different carbs, but both are designed with low-nitro fuel in mind. Perhaps Horizon is including extra head shims with the engines they sell??
Old 07-08-2002, 07:02 PM
gquiring
My Feedback: (1)

My Webra 35 Brunette from CyberHeli runs great but is a tad weaker than my OS 32 which are both using KSJ mufflers and Cool Power 15. I still feel the Webra is a better choice, smoother idle, great mid-range and no fuss'n with a finiky OS carb.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Originally posted by gquiring
My Webra 35 Brunette from CyberHeli runs great but is a tad weaker tban my OS 32 which are both using KSJ mufflers and Cool Power 15. I still feel the Webra is a better choice, smoother idle, great mid-range and no fuss'n with a finiky OS carb.
I agree it's a smooth engine but the OS 32 is in no way finiky. The two raptor's at my field run excellent one on 15% and the other on 30% WildCat. But I stop flying 30 size all together.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Raydee

Well I emailed Horizon and Webra and horizon emailed me back first...here is the response.

Ray,

We recommend using Cool Power 15% or 30% Heli mix in that motor. It is
the same engine I have in my Venture CP, and I run the 30% in it, and it
runs just fine. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact
us.

Horizon Product Support
Old 07-11-2002, 01:54 AM
itsintilas

Guys,

May I have your needle settings?
I run 10% CP, with TT deluxe muffler, lower screwed 1 turn, needle valve 2 clicks more than half turn.

My pitch range is +9,-9. The head turns arround 1700 rpm. The engine runs a little bit hot (IMO) but had never stopped.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:59 AM
GaryC-RCU

Default Settings

Itsindilas

I am running more like 3/4 main needle - not sure about the idle - more than one turn though - I shall check and let you know.

Also on CP 10% and TT deluxe muffler. At +9 does it bog down at all or is the head speed constant? I am only getting +8 but am a bit wary of leaning it out anymore in case it overheats.

Gary
Old 07-11-2002, 05:35 PM
funder

Down here in texas where it,s hot in the summer and winter we run the webra redhead in some of our raptors. We use the shim that comes with the engine and 30% fuel. The weber out pulls the os and is much smoother running. We have 4 of these flying now. I'm still flying with my original tt36 and it is still screaming.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
itsintilas

Mine is like a rocket!

Play furthermore with the settings and you gonna see difference
Old 10-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Hiendranarpha

Default webra 35 H comp setting

What is the normal range of main needle valve setting for webra 35 H comp running on 5% nitro, os #8 plug and caliber 30 standard muffler ?

I have to close the valve to a few click below 1 turn to get reasonable power.
With my other OS engines (32 & 61) running 15% nitro, that setting will surely make the engine run too lean.

Is it normal with webra engine to go below 1 turn? (I am new with webra engine)

Hiendranarpha
Old 10-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

I still have 2 Webra heli motors I used on my FF's Fazers. They were a bit touchy on the needle but after they broke in they seemed to loosen up a bit and perform better. I tached the Webra and a OS the OS turned a few more grand then but the Webra performed very well on the Fazer. I use heli motors on my FF planes for better cooling eficiency. OS & Webra are both good motors some are more needle sensitive is all, even some OS engines.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:11 PM
cyberheli

Hi folks,

For your information, Webra had confirmed that the difference between a black head and the brunette Webra 35 Competition is just the COLOR, everything else including compression are the same.

We like to run our Webras with a veeery rich low end, so rich that it takes a couple of seconds to burn out the excess fuel accumulated at idling when you spool up. The reason is to keep the running temperature low and to allow you to lean the top end more for power. If you shoot for perfect idle, chances are that you will have to keep the main needle richer than necessary to maintain the running temperature.

Also, the Webra carb needles do interact more than the other carb designs so if you lean the main, open the idle a bit to compensate and vice versa.

Stephen
CHRC