Search
Notices

Raptor 60 rotor

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 03:49 AM
cobberbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 60 rotor

Had the raptor 60 up for the third time. Just started to move around a little and sure looked good. Started to bring it down and about 3 feet from the ground and started to lose tail rotor control. Couldn't get control of it and of course a crash. Anybody have any ideas of what may have happened. Someone said if the clamps come loose guiding the servo wire to the rotor come loose could cause this. We are not sure at all what caused this.. Bob
Old 07-18-2004, 10:09 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Raptor 60 rotor

That could be caused by the tail rotor pitch linkage coming loose (mine did yesterday!), servo/gyro connections coming loose, etc.

I don't know how the 60 tail linkage is set up, but the Raptor 50 V2 has an aluminum coupler with set screws on each end to connect the rear rod (connects to the tail rotor pitch arm) to the front rod (connects to the servo arm). The front rod's set screw came loose on me yesterday. Luckily I was hovering close to the ground, when I noticed my tail was starting to rotate! I landed, and then picked it up a little again, and could tell there was no tail control any more!

I put some more Loctite on the set screws, screwed them back in, and was able to fly a few more tanks before packing it in. Lucky I didn't crash because of it! I'm wondering if I should get one of those tail boom mounts for the tail pitch rotor... puts the tail servo on the boom, and has a one piece link thats 1/2 the length of the stock link. I just don't like the idea of having a servo outside of the canopy, where it's exposed to much more exhaust and nitro oil.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:07 PM
REDNOSERAPTOR

Hi there!
If your gyro and servo is work good then you should check linkage, rods and guide rods if the guild rod become unglued they can lock up the rod losing tail control mine has come loose a couple of times do to the cold because the boom shrinks and it cost me one crash the last time it happened thank god for piro auto's I now have black tape on both side of the guides and alway's chech to make sure that they are still glued.

Saul.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:48 PM
emosolo

Mornin...

A pity that you couldnt check all of those things before the Crash... Be more thorough with your pre-flight so that you dont end up with the same problem. Its hard to try and find a cause when everything is in little bits...

Regards
Solo.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:26 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

could be the set screws in the tail hub letting the tail blades slow down, or the control rod coming loose or the guides coming loose jamming it or many other things as stated. Check it out good and make sure all those things are taken care of. Could also be just a dumb thumb thing that looked like you were loosing control and nothing was really wrong with the heli. I see people blame the radio a lot when they crash and don't want to admit screwing up, but you have to look at that option too.