Notices

Starter shaft Will not spin counter clockwise

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 09:51 PM
bls74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter shaft Will not spin counter clockwise

Raptor 50 V2
Starter shaft will not turn counter clockwise but will turn clock wise.
To start it it needs to turn counter clockwise. I took everything apart and could not find anything wrong.
Clutch looks great. Bell looks great. Just dont know what is wrong. I only have 2 tanks through heli and never crashed it. After flying it I let it sit for a few hours then refueld it and tried to start it...... thats when it did it. Not sure if this info is enough for you guys but pleeease help me,[&o] I miss Flying.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:25 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Starter shaft Will not spin counter clockwise

When you say it won't turn CCW, do you mean by hand, or with your starter?

It will be very difficult to turn CCW by hand, since you're turning over the engine, and the 50 engine has some pretty good compression (my OS does, anyway), so if that's the case, that's normal. If you're talking about it not turning over with your starter, then read on...

Check to see if your main rotor gear spins freely. If the rotor gear, pinion gear, clutch bell assembly doesn't all spin freely, then your clutch is locked up. If this is the case, then check to see if your fan hub flush with the front bearing of the engine. A common problem (for newbs, including me), is that the fan is not screwed on tight enough or glued on well enough with Loctite, and it unscrews on the crankshaft and pushes the clutch up into the top of the clutch bell. This typically doesn't cause any damage, and upon disassembly, everything looks fine, except for the spacing between the fan hub and the engine's front crankshaft bearing.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:13 PM
bls74

Thanks for the advise. And Yes it is by starter not Hand. I cheked into everything you said but found nothing wrong. I ended up taking advise from Raptor tech. I drilled my engine mount holes a little to make for some play while trying to mount. It worked great! I am going out to try to fly in a little bit. will keep you updated.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
bls74

Thanks Paul
You were right.
I brought the heli out after I did the mounting thing and it seized up again.
Brought it back in and took it all apart again and for the hell of it I spun my fan.... Yep my fan was not tight.
other people told me the same thing but I just couldnt see any problem with it.
Any ways THANK YOU