Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

Can a R50 do the so called "Tic-Tocs' and are there videos on how to do them??

Community
Search
Notices

Can a R50 do the so called "Tic-Tocs' and are there videos on how to do them??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:09 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a R50 do the so called "Tic-Tocs' and are there videos on how to do them??

I have always been facinate.....amazed..WOWED by the only Tic-Toc that I have seen by Alan Szabo. I don't know what Raptor he has. Have no idea. But I do know that you have to have alot of power, from what I've heard, to do that kind of maneuver.

Like stated above, I'm just wondering of the R50 that I hope that I will come through and get (which I will probably happen), will be able to handle the tic-toc.

And also, I just wanted to know if there are ANY video that ANYONE knows of that shows how to do this maneuver. Preferably with like an insert of the transmitter. I think that I have heard of a video, but I don't remember where I saw this.

I hope that I can find a video or something.

BTW, if there isn't any avaliable videos, then is there a way that someone could possibly explain how it's done.....I think that would be hard. I have tried to do it on G2, but it doesn't seem possible. Hey, if anyone CAN do it on G2, then could you do a recording with the transmitter inset, and e-mail it to me, or put it on the Real Flight Swap Page??...It doesn't have to be a helicopter that's just on the original G2..I mean you could have a heli that is on an add-on....but it would be nice if I could see if done on like one of the helicopters w/o the add-ons....

THANKS ALOT!!
Old 08-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Can a R50 do the so called "Tic-Tocs' and are there videos on how to do them??

Alan Szabo is flying a Raptor 90, but a 50 will do them to. It doesn't take a lot of power to do them (it does help), all it takes is good collective management (experience). You should find all the video's you need on this site. [link=http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuff/videoarchive/default.asp]http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuff/videoarchive/default.asp[/link]
Old 08-07-2004, 09:14 AM
ptarp

Default RE: Can a R50 do the so called "Tic-Tocs' and are there videos on how to do them??

Awesome link!
Old 08-07-2004, 03:11 PM
TuNeD PiPe

I must agree they are defintely cool but it is one of the many amazing things pilots such as Alan Szabo,Jason Krause and Curtis Youngblood can do.I have about 4gigs of video clips and they are really exciting.I have one where Curtis Youngblood hits the grass with his main rotor blades flying inverted and then does some fancy autorotation but stalls the blades and then the heli just drops out of the sky, a really sad sight

You can have a look at this link where there is a basic description on how to do Tic-Tocs:[link]http://www.littlerotors.com/flyinglessons/tictocs.asp[/link]

I have practically just started to fly helis but have been flying fixed-wing for more than 2 years but it is so difficult to maintain and fly helis when you are still at school/college and not earning money.But that doesn't bother me because I'll do anything to fly my heli.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:34 PM
iflynething

WOW...I have added those places to my favorites on my computer. WOW. I didn't know there was so much on it.!!

THANKS ALOT FOR THAT!!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:01 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had trouble getting "clean" tick-tocks. They get noticeably better kicking the head speed way up. I have done them at 2100 RPM and they were really crisp but 2100 scares me!. It takes a lot of time to even start getting respectable tick-tocks. At least it did for me! Besides high headspeed, the next biggest difference was switching to a 9252 digital servo. My Evo won't do them as cleanly and to me the only difference is the collective servo. My Evo still has the 9001 in it. I'm sure you were impressed with how crisply guys like Szabo stop and start at each end of the tick-tock. I know I have been
If you have the time, you should try to get to the IRCHA show next weekend in Muncie, IN. It is well worth the trip!! Awesome pilots all over the place and you can find some great deals on heli stuff.
Later,,,Matt
Old 08-07-2004, 05:40 PM
ptarp

Can you give a link to info about the Muncie show? I live in IL and would like to check it out.

[UPDATE]
Is this it?
http://www.rcworld.ca/hrrc.htm
It says the date for the fly-in was today (Aug 7th)
Old 08-07-2004, 05:41 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

I have had trouble getting "clean" tick-tocks. They get noticeably better kicking the head speed way up. I have done them at 2100 RPM and they were really crisp but 2100 scares me!. It takes a lot of time to even start getting respectable tick-tocks. At least it did for me! Besides high headspeed, the next biggest difference was switching to a 9252 digital servo. My Evo won't do them as cleanly and to me the only difference is the collective servo. My Evo still has the 9001 in it. I'm sure you were impressed with how crisply guys like Szabo stop and start at each end of the tick-tock. I know I have been
If you have the time, you should try to get to the IRCHA show next weekend in Muncie, IN. It is well worth the trip!! Awesome pilots all over the place and you can find some great deals on heli stuff.
Later,,,Matt

I SERIOULSY doubt that I will be in any way be able to go to that. I really don't think that my dad or let alone anyone would be able to go or take me here. I really wish that I could find someone to go with. That would be real nice to go there.....Might be able to get alot of my heli stuff from there for a great price.

BTW, is there any way that someone could be able to do it on the Sim....I don't have any Add-Ons..but if you can do it on Real Flight, please send me the file and I'd love to see it!!

I just think that it's amazing how he can do something like that....To me, that is just the best maneuver I've seen.....I personally think that that is better than cuttin grass inverted....Well maybe!!

Well, if I were to put like 645's on my R50 when I get it, or 625's do you know if they would have enough power to get the tic-tocs down pat...or do they have enough power and torque to do the job??...

Thanks,

~Micheal~
Old 08-07-2004, 06:34 PM
basmntdweller

Look for 2004 IRCHA Jamboree on the IRCHA site linked below. The Jamboree is the MOTHER of all heli shows! Hands down the best flying you will ever see. I think there is twelve flight stations going all the time pretty much.

http://www.ircha.org/

I can only make it friday afternoon due to work schedule. Usually I take the motorhome up thursday night and return sunday afternoon.

I'll see if I can figure out how to record a flight on my G2 this evening and send it to you or post a link you can download it from. I don't know if I have ever tried a tick-tock on G2!

Later,,,Matt
Old 08-08-2004, 12:07 AM
iflynething

Thanks for that link for the IRCHA...

That would be great if you could send me a file for a video from G2 for a Tic-Toc...I'd just like to see it done on that.....I'll just tell you again that all I have is the regular helicopters like the Impala, Sport Dog...and the ones that just come on G2 w/o any add-ons...Thanks

~Michael~
Old 08-08-2004, 09:01 PM
basmntdweller

Sorry, I haven't had time to get on G2. My wife invited the four grandchildren to spend the night last evening and I have had to work most of the day today. I'll try tomorrow after work.
Later,,,Matt
Old 08-09-2004, 02:47 PM
iflynething

Sorry, I haven't had time to get on G2. My wife invited the four grandchildren to spend the night last evening and I have had to work most of the day today. I'll try tomorrow after work.
Later,,,Matt

That's fine......just take your time. Not rush

Thanks for doing that!!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:55 AM
wore-out-pilot
My Feedback: (73)

This year at Ircha Jason Krause had a Raptor 50 he owns and is flying now. You should see what he does with this 50.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17340.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	164378  
Old 08-20-2004, 09:54 AM
w.pasman

It's very easy to bog a rap50/os50/15%nitro during tic tocs. But it's possible to do tic tocs.
I still have problems in high wind conditions though, the machine doesn't have enough power to get it quickly enough into the wind (worst case situation) and you start drifting with the wind and losing height. Sideways wind is no problem.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:32 PM
iflynething

hey, basmntdweller....where's that video that you're talking about??...

I'd like to see it...

I knew that the 50 would be bogged down, but I was just wondering. Well, what about when I upgrade it to a 60, then will it be enough for tic tocs??..I'm sure it will be enough power for them with a 60.

Well, I'm looking foward to that video...I have already been attempting to to them with the Foiler on G2, but it keeps looking altitude, and I just can't seem to get it up and stay like Alan Szabo (man he's GREAT!!)......
Old 08-20-2004, 07:55 PM
basmntdweller

Sorry, I've been sidetracked working on a big scale electric heli. I haven't even turned on my sim PC for a couple weeks. I tried it for a few minutes one evening after you asked but I wasn't happy with them. They were too far away to see well and they weren't that pretty. If you are expecting to see me do tictocs like Alan, forget it! Very few can do that! I can't even get G2 helis to "pop" at each swing of the pendulum like Alan does in real life. My tictocs are about 45 degrees each way from center and fairly slow stopping and starting. I have no idea how the top guys get them so crisp. Mine end up about the same with the real heli as they do on G2. I did play with them some the other day when I was out flying. I noticed that my Evo was really sluggish compared to my R50V2. Maybe it's time for a digital on the collective. If I get time tomorrow, I will try swapping the TT blades on my Rappy over to the Evo and see if that makes any difference. The Evo has Maverikk blades right now.
Later,,,Matt
Maybe this weekend on the G2 video.

There is no upgrade path from the 50 to 60 Raptor. The 50 is an expanded 30. The 60 is it's own bird and the 90 was an expansion of the 60 but it's now a separate kit. My R50 will do a cleaner tictoc than my 60 sized Fury. The power to weight ratio is better in the 50 than the 60. The same goes for the disk loading.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 PM
iflynething

Sorry, I've been sidetracked working on a big scale electric heli. I haven't even turned on my sim PC for a couple weeks. I tried it for a few minutes one evening after you asked but I wasn't happy with them. They were too far away to see well and they weren't that pretty. If you are expecting to see me do tictocs like Alan, forget it! Very few can do that! I can't even get G2 helis to "pop" at each swing of the pendulum like Alan does in real life. My tictocs are about 45 degrees each way from center and fairly slow stopping and starting. I have no idea how the top guys get them so crisp. Mine end up about the same with the real heli as they do on G2. I did play with them some the other day when I was out flying. I noticed that my Evo was really sluggish compared to my R50V2. Maybe it's time for a digital on the collective. If I get time tomorrow, I will try swapping the TT blades on my Rappy over to the Evo and see if that makes any difference. The Evo has Maverikk blades right now.
Later,,,Matt
Maybe this weekend on the G2 video.

There is no upgrade path from the 50 to 60 Raptor. The 50 is an expanded 30. The 60 is it's own bird and the 90 was an expansion of the 60 but it's now a separate kit. My R50 will do a cleaner tictoc than my 60 sized Fury. The power to weight ratio is better in the 50 than the 60. The same goes for the disk loading.
Just take your time on the video...I really have been trying, but I'm sure that mine look just like yours in I can't get them like Alan....mine, and probably yours just aren't fast and crisp like Alan's...Now that I think about him, I think that I'm going to watch a video of him and his 3D thing.....other thing that I like with him is that crazy moves....just flipping and piroutteing while flipping and stuff.....I love that

But, just take your time....I'm gettin closer to gettin the R50....have almost $800 I have never had that much in my life...

If I could just get the tail to stay in about the same place, then the one's on G2 could be good, but that's no happening....

Thanks,

~Michael~