Notices

Clutch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:13 PM
nmtr13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch stuck

I cant get my clutch bell out. I took out the two set screws and the starter piece doesnt come off. I tried heating it up with a soldering iron to get the loctite out but it didnt work. I tried everything and i just wont budge. I need help, is there anything else i can try?

John
Old 09-14-2004, 03:10 PM
RebarDWG

Default RE: Clutch stuck

i had the same problem. when you tightened the 2 set screws, it actually buldged out the shaft. Now youwant to take it off, you cant b/c you have an deformed/oval shaft. I got really lucky cuz mine came off. I used a pulling and twisting motion to get if off. I also used a screw driver to wedge it under the starter piece to help it up. I was afraid of damaging the heli but i didnt have any brighter ideas.

Once you get if off, use a dremel tool to smooth it out again. Wish i had some cool innovative idea to offer but dumb luck will always prevail.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Pop the E-clip off the bottom of the shaft inside the bell and pull the start shaft through the top instead of droping it out the bottom.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:15 PM
nmtr13

I dont think there is a E-clip, I have a v1. I tried using a screw driver but i got to the point where i was scared to crack the frame. Im gonna check now for an eclip. - Nope no e-clip, all i see is the shaft coming through a bearing.

John
Old 09-15-2004, 02:24 PM
wilkigmc

I think then your best bet will be to separate the two side frames, then grip either the shaft or hex top in a vice (between two bits of wood to prevent damage), then heat it up and it should come off with a bit of force. With any luck, the shaft and hex top will be ok, then the heli can be re-assembled. Sounds like a lot of work I know, but it'll probably ending being the best way. I've had to do this myself before.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:16 PM
elmote

You should need to crack the frames if the engine is out. Just drop the clutch assembly forward and down. After it is out, do the vise thing, but use a drift (blunt nailset) to drive the shaft down. May be hard on the bearings tho.

Elmo Te
Old 09-15-2004, 10:20 PM
nmtr13

I took apart the frame today and got it out, i dont need to take apart the shaft, I just need to replace the clutch liner, which i did today.

Thanks for the help!

John