Old 09-17-2004, 07:46 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Heli's??

ORIGINAL: RaptorCam

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

ORIGINAL: joeb102072

Thats basically my point. Anyone can adapt to a different type of aircraft if thats the only thing they need to learn is how that particular aircraft is going to respond / react then the learning curve is going to be lessend exponentially. Now focus can be spent on learning the aerobatic manuvers to perfection.
I dont think you guys realize a SIM is meant to give you a close general idea, and for 150$ you cant expect it to be exact physics.
I understand. I think as long as the user knows its different in real life compared to the sim, they will be ok.

I understand completely that this is what it should be used for but I don't think that is how its marketed. Look at all the parameters. If this was being sold as something to use from a general idea standpoint, all this would not be needed.

I would rather spend $300 or more on a sim dedicated to say just the Raptor line of helis that had very accurate physics instead of $150 on 20+ aircraft with general physics. It would be more beneficial to me to get a good idea of how tight my raptor would manuever in a stunt rather than if I move the stick this way, it goes this way.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:59 PM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

I see your point as well. I guess what I need to go ahead and say is that its not what I want in a sim. That does not make it any less useful to others
Old 09-18-2004, 05:54 PM
darkfa8
My Feedback: (19)

alright, i'll step in here

I was a avid rc car/truck kid for several years... that phase went out the window about 10+years ago since I got into college, real cars, and the rest of life...

I found my perfect rc car and it sits in my closet until I decide to buy batteries for it lol....

I'm a old Mustang freak, love the older cars and of course the P-51 planes...so, when the opportunity came up for me to buy a new Altech P51D, I snatched it up, hence barrel-rolling right into RC-terriroty I had never been in before...

Right now the plane is still in the box, unassembled, I have no radio or gear.. I'm just planning everything out and have already made contacts with the local flying club so I can get some help.

I know I'll need a trainer, so I kinda put the cart before the horse here...oh well

OK, so I have a car and a plane.. but.. deep down, both my Dad and I have always wanted a heli but they were just so expensive at the time, especially for a 10 year old kid $$$

With the heli, the facination, urge and ability to take off anywhere, move in any direction and not need a field, landing strip or massive amounts of room (like a airplane requires) makes a heli seem so much more unconventional and boundless

So, now that I have a better job, and am getting some bills squared away I'm looking into possibly buying a full-on glow heli, in particular one of these fine Raptor 50s since they seem to be pretty popular and well reviewed by the zines and flyers alike...

..and yes, every person I've ever talked to from day one has always said flying a helicopter is like..."balancing a broom handle on your palm".."a marble on glass"...etc... it has been always made out to be intimidating.

I've debated about getting a true sim after I select a radio so I can hook-into it... but I also feel that getting out with some local flyers and watching them actually fly, how they control the radio, how they react and respond to different weather conditions and aircraft conditions will pay off more then something virtual.

For what I've learned so far, I have a good idea what heli to select, what radio to select, and for the other aspects, in terms of engine, pit-gear, etc.. I'll hang around on here and also try and make it to the local field to see what goes on.

And to make my jump into helis, I've figured that it will prolly cost me $1000-$1500 for the initial round of stuff including the heli kit, radio, engine, pit-gear and maybe a gallon of gas :P

oh and I've always liked Airwolf too... that added to my burning for a heli :P
Old 09-18-2004, 06:08 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Unless you are like me and can actually learn from observation effectively (most can't) I would strongly suggest the sim. It isn't near as far off as people are saying.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:05 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

NO you are correct. I couldnt do half the stuff with my planes I can do now before the sim. I actually acredit the sim to my newest experience micro helis. I have a mini Dragonfly micro FP and I used the EP picco on AFP to get a feel for. After about 10 battery charges i was hovering it around in my living room no issues. After 2 weeks I have managed to fly it around my house in and out of rooms. (following close by). Prior to a month ago I have had no heli experience at all, and was told by my local field guys that fly helis that if you can fly that little unstable machine with FP you can most definatly fly a CP gasser with ease. And like I said I acredit it all to the sim because prior to that I had absolutly no heli experience.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:23 AM
RebarDWG

Sims are a must and very cheap. The RealFlight G2 only costs $40. Here's how:

Buy the RF G2 for $199, fly the hell out of it. The RF G2 holds it value. Sell it on ebay 6 months later for $160! Now that's a fact.

Why would you not buy and learn on a sim.?? Your first crash, due to dum user input, will cost you about $40.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:05 PM
ninja neb

i used to fly planes but helis are so much more maneuvorible
Old 10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Like alot.. its not just heli's its both helis and planes.. Cars/boats=boring! I've been flying ever since the age of 5 (15 years ago... wow time has flown by). and i've been into heli's hard for about 5 years now. I actually got into heli's because everyone at my feild had one and i just had to... then it got to where i was flying better and doing more with my raptor in 2 weeks, while the rest of them were still trying to learn the basics. Now i fly my Raptor before everyflight of my Giant Scale IMAC planes, to get my thumbs warm'd up before i start with my 3D'ing on the IMAC's. And use the 3D'ing of the IMAC"s to get my thumbs warmed up for the 3D'ing of the Raptor (confusing isn't it?).

Thomas
Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 PM
iflynething

Truthfully, I wanted to be that 15 year old at my field that had one. I also wanted to get one for the thrill of flying one.

Really, I wanted to get it because of so much against a heli at my home field. I fly at two fields often, but at one, they really don't like helicopters, and have a little spot over there in the corner. I wanted to show them that it's not out to what they think it is. I am already in the front yard, actually in the neighborhood road, flying around. I think that a sim helped me out alot, but I really think that a helicopter is alot easier than what people make them out to be. I don't know about you, but I love the thrill. It's just that you have something that takes so much control, and you're the one doing everything. I think it's just the point that you have a helicopter. That's what it was for me. I saved up all summer of '04 cutting grass. I made over $1,300, but I got a great deal on a R30 (only $360 for heli, engine, serovs AND gyro)....

But, I knew that helicopters would be a challenge, and I wanted to show everyone at the field, they they were cool, and they can be your friends.

I haven't been out to this field yet with my R30, but when I do, if I want to fly, I'm going to fly. I mean, I will of course wait until people get done flying planes and take a break, then I'll go up. I don't want to piss them off, but I'm not going in that corner....Maybe showing them that a 15 y/o can fly one, maybe it might spark something in some people, and we can have helis back at our field like I've seen pictures of in the past.

Hope everyone has fun

Happy Rotoring!!

~Michael~
Old 10-16-2004, 06:24 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Michael,
I know what your talking about... the feilds i frequently visit aren't exactly completely against heli's, but there are those at them, that will try and force you to move to a little "corner" of the feild to fly... but then i go out and do my 3D stuff and aerobatics, and they normally come out and apologize, as they thought i was just going to hover over the runway. That in point... do just like you plan, but if it gets to the point, to where you can't fly w/o flying with a plane, do the curtious thing, and don't hover over the runway... myself as a plane and heli pilot, when i'm flying my plane, i can't stand when you've got a noob hovering over the runway, especially if you know they can't/scared to do Forward flight, because if there's a situation where the plane has to come down quick.. and the heli guy can't get out of the way, there's a bad situation to be in. But over all, go out there and show em what you young guys can do.. i'm not much older than you ( 20 ) and have impressed many, so go out there a wring-it-out.

Thomas
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 AM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Michael,
I know what your talking about... the feilds i frequently visit aren't exactly completely against heli's, but there are those at them, that will try and force you to move to a little "corner" of the feild to fly... but then i go out and do my 3D stuff and aerobatics, and they normally come out and apologize, as they thought i was just going to hover over the runway. That in point... do just like you plan, but if it gets to the point, to where you can't fly w/o flying with a plane, do the curtious thing, and don't hover over the runway... myself as a plane and heli pilot, when i'm flying my plane, i can't stand when you've got a noob hovering over the runway, especially if you know they can't/scared to do Forward flight, because if there's a situation where the plane has to come down quick.. and the heli guy can't get out of the way, there's a bad situation to be in. But over all, go out there and show em what you young guys can do.. i'm not much older than you ( 20 ) and have impressed many, so go out there a wring-it-out.

Thomas

I see what you mean. Well, what I was planning to do is just fly around at my grand-maws, until I get better (foward flight), and then go there so I won't get on their nerves. But I'm sure that I will not resist the urge to go there just to show them that I finally got one. Them seeing that I'm on 15 think that I wouldn't get the heli. But I'll have to show them. But I try to be curteous to them, and if I do go there at the field to fly, then I'll certainly wait for them to rest from flying before I go out.

I think that once they see me fly, and them seeing that I wait for them to come down, then they might appeciate the helicopter. I hope that I make some more friends, instead of turning htem off. I hope I have fun though. Only flew about 3 times, but I love it so far.

Have fun everyone,

~Michael~
Old 10-18-2004, 10:43 PM
RebarDWG

i will soon chase the planes out of the sky