Notices

First Heli... Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Maxime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Heli... Few questions

Hello,

I just bought a Raptor 50v2 as my first heli (been flying rc planes for 15 years though)

I have a few questions regarding how I should set it up.

Engine: Thinking about a OS 50. But I can get an OS 46FX-H for really cheap, would this be enough engine to learn to fly and (eventually) do basic aerobatics?

Servos: I have 2 S9303 and 2 S9302 Futaba servos. can these be used in my Raptor? Wondering if the servos need to be all similar or if different ones (such as the 9303 and 9302) will do the job. I was thinking of using 2 similar servos for cyclic, the other 2 for collective and TR, and a standard BB servo for throttle. Is that OK?

Also, would the JR 811's be enough servos for this helicopter?

Gyro: I will buy a Futaba 401 Gyro, but will use either a 9303, 9302, or JR 811 servos. Will this work ok?

Thank you very much!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:57 PM
RandyD
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: First Heli... Few questions

Hi Max,

Well, you've asked some good questions but you made one statement that should forever be remembered. "I can get an OS 46FX-H for really cheap." If "cheap" is an issue you may want to shy away from helicopters. Ask me, I know, I've crashed some good stuff. Most recently my X-Cell Pro2K. Bad flight plan! Most of my crashes are "damn I'm good" mistakes but a bunch have been equipment failure. This goes back to the original 30 size Kyosho Concept and the 60 size GMP Legend Elite models in my case. Both were great machines in thier time but there were some weak links. Enough on the history stuff, let's get back to your questions.

If the OS 46FX is new or just about new it will do the job just fine (Note: I personally would put the biggest engine available in the machine). Servos should be the best you can afford!!! If you can only buy one top of the line servo be sure to put it on the tail rotor, that's the most sensative axis. Make the investment into high end servos, they'll last you forever. When you crash (we all do) the servos will survive fairly well. Get a PCM radio if at all possible.

AND MOST IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE YOU GET ASSISTANCE FROM A FRIEND OR CLUB MEMBER THAT KNOWS HOW TO FLY HELIS. IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYBODY THAT FLYS HELIS BY ALL MEANS CONTACT SOMEONE WITHIN THIS FORUM TO SEE IF THEY ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO COME HELP.

Please feel free to contact me at my email address: [email protected] if you desire. Enjoy your Raptor, my son and I have an original 30 size that we have been flying since 2000 (I think?)

Regards, Randy
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Maxime

Thank you for the tips.

For the engine, I'll see.... I still have a few months before the temperature increase to somewhere near freezing level...

I think I'll go with the matching Futaba servo with the 401 gyro. I'm sure I can't go wrong that way.

As for the other servos.... The ones I described in my previous post have the following specifications: The 9303s have about 80 ounce/inche of tork, .24s/60 deg.......... the 9302 have about 100 ounces/inche of tork, .19s/60deg. They are coreless, metal gear servos.

As you can see, these are fairly good servos ( I used them in a pattern plane and a 1/4 scale 3D Cap.... but they only have about 50 flights so they are in good shape). My concern is wether or not I can use mismatched servos to control the head of my Raptor ( 2 similar, one different.... ).

As for the help... Well some people here will be able to help me set-up my helicopter, but I'm on my own to learn to fly it.... But I use Realflight G2, and being a rc pattern plane pilot, I'm quite familiar with the left stick on my transmitter.... hopeffully that will help me with the heli!. I do have a knowledge of the theory of flight for helicopters ( My job is to fly the full-size ones, altough I know it has nothing to do with the hand-eye coordination required to fly our rc helis....). Oh well, wish me good luck... I'll certainly crash like everybody else did!

thank you very much for your help,
Old 11-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Maxime

Oh yes... the radio.....

I have a Futaba 8 radio system (not the "super" 8 though...). I'll be using a PCM receiver. I'm not too familiar with the heli features of this radio, do you think it has all I need to fly a Raptor?

Thank you
Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

The 8U is a great radio that will do everything heli you will need up to extreme 3d flight.
Servos are fine.
With the GY401, get the digital 9253 or 9254 servo.
Use the simulator, you will be ready for flight in the spring.
Unless the 46 engine is really cheap (as in <C$50) don't get it. It has some bugs. The new OS50 is nice.

Fritz
Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Mr.Risky

I started with the same heli as well and also had nobody to help me out. I use the GY401 with 9254 digital servo and the OS 50 and have never had a problem or a crash. Knock on wood. I would suggest a Rotopod training device. For the $50 it costs, it will more than pay for itself as you're learning to hover and getting the feel of your machine-- the one thing the flight sim can't do for you.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:07 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 46 engine will be fine. If you can get it cheap, do it. The servos you have will be good too. The digital servo that comes with the 401 gyro will be best on the tail. Get a good sim and start practicing. Its a fun hobby. The 8U is a good radio. Should work fine.

You live in a beautifull place. Used to land our jet there often. Had a lot of fun walking around checking out the sites. Nice place.

Good luck with the heli.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:23 PM
WhtBronco

I'd go with the high end Futaba servos you listed. The mismatch should be fine I'd think. I am using the JR811's in my Raptor 50. They are plenty powerful. I setup my heli based on the manual and the raptortechnique.com site. The only thing we adjusted to fly it was the throttle and pitch curves, actually during the first flight, since the head speed was only at 1310. Now it's at 1500 rpm. Everything else was set right.

I am using the GY401/9254 combo and it works great. I tried WOT backward flight Sunday and the tail held rock steady all by itself.

FWIW, I really like my TT50. Smooth and reliable so far. Neddles were set perfectly, for rich breakin, out of the box. The engine is pretty cheap included with the Raptor 50 kit as well.

Fly the G2 sim lots, that's what I did. Flight number 1 witht he Raptor 50 I did nose in hovering. Flight number 3 I started forward flight. Now 6 flights into helis I am doing some fun stuff. Stall turns, fast forward flight piro's, figure 8's, split S's and Immelmans. This weekend I hope to get the throttle and pitch curves set up for inverted flight. Loops and rolls are definitely gonna happen next time out. This heli is so smooth and predictable I am very comfortable with it. I love it.

I flew a Concept 30 12 years ago for about 30 flights, but never got passed hovering with the POS. I just couldn't trust it.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Maxime

Thank you for all your advices.

I will go with the GY401 gyro with the matching digital servo.

I will use two 9303s for the cyclic control, and one 9302 for the collective (need to kep the other 9302 for my cap 232s elevator ). I'll use a standard cheapo Futaba on the throttle.

Still not decided which engine to buy, but my LHS just sent me an email with a very good price on the OS50SX-H ( Better price than GreatHobbies! ). If I can get that 46 for next to nothing, maybe I'll learn to fly with it, if not I'll most likely go diretcly with the OS50.

What do you think about the Mavvrik Upgrades availlable at Heliproz? I'm talking about the full metal head, and the full metal tailrotor grips and hub. Thinking also about metal control brackets, elevator, etc... Of course I'll use the heli in a "stock" configuration, but eventually would like to upgrade my machine, when my whallet recovers from the initial cost of getting into rc helis... ( I was surpised at how flimsy those little plastic parts looks like in my kit).

Best regards,
Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 PM
RandyD
My Feedback: (8)

Hi again Max,

The hand eye coordination you mentioned due to your full size experience is exactly the same. The only real difference you'll notice between full size and models is the auto-rotation. As a full scale heli pilot myself I can tell you there is no comparison regarding autos. As you know, when you're sitting in the cockpit you have the AS indicator, horizon and rotor RPM low speed horn to work with to enter and maintain proper rotor RPM and glide speed during the glide (the gyro in your model eliminates the need for opposite torque pedal application when you "chop" the throttle. With the R/C heli its not nearly as precise, however, you have a hell of a lot more stored energy in the rotor to work with during the flare and during application of the collective prior to touch down. You can usually do two or three flares and recover. Try that in your full size heli!

Other things you don't have to worry about with the R/C models are ETL vibration, translating tendency and best of all "settling with power." No need to nose her down to out run your rotor wash during a settling with power scenario, just give her the gas and go.

Have fun!

Randy