Community
Search
Notices

7 point pitch and throttle curves...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Wally_Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7 point pitch and throttle curves...

Can anyone help me with some guidelines on the
pitch and throttle curves for a 7 point curve?

I have the JR 9303 radio and would like some guidelines.
I know I will have to tweak it once I start to fly.

Thanks...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
kenjd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 7 point pitch and throttle curves...

I have that same radio and i just set the middle of the throttle to 49 and left all the others INH except point L is 0 and H is 100, and that give me a good hover rpm and flight is pretty good to. On the pitch i used my pitch gauge and adjusted the pitch positions up or down for the different stick positions until i got what i needed up, down, and middle stick. Some of these number depend on heli setup and personal needs. I am new to heli but that is how i did it and that is how an expert at the field showed me afterwords. The very first time i used some the the advice on raptortechnique.com and set it up that way. The web site doesn't list the 9303 so i used the advice for the 8103. (only 5 points) That really didn't work but it helped. Now it is about six months later and i just put a new os .37 in her and readjusted all the curves and it flew great after a run in. The guy at the field left the throttle curve alone until he ran it for me. I lower the mid point below 50% so rotor rpm is not at a super high speed for what ever reason. Hope this helps a little.

Ken
Old 01-13-2005, 07:38 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

It really depends on what heli you have and what engine you have. I have a Raptor 50 and in normal flight mode 1 (+6* pitch) and I only need about 58% (about 1600 rpm head speed) of the throttle for my highest number. Now in flight mode 3 (+9* pitch) I use all 100% (about 1850 rpm head speed) Not trying to confuse you but there really are alot of variables in setting these 2 things up. If you have a raptor and very good place to start is go to raptortechnique.com and he has a really good starting point for all different radios. I have a 5 point curve,but there is no differance other than you will have 1 more between idle and half and 1 more between half and full. Let us know more information if you would like and we can get you close. heli,motor,flight mode,beginner hovering, beginner flying, etc.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Wally_Gator

Edge,

Sorry to have left out the important stuff. Busy day yesterday...

However, here is the pertinent info...

Raptor 50 V2 with the Os .50 Hyper
JR 9303 TX with the 649 Rx
4 JR DS8311 servos
Futaba Gy401 gyro and matching Servo.

Right now I am setting it up using the wooden blades.

Thanks

Walter (Wally_Gator)
Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM
edge_pilot

Ok that is much better. With that engine you won't need 100% on the throttle curve for normal flight mode. To start out get about 6* maybe 7* of positive pitch and -2* of negative pitch.set up your pitch curve to give you about +5.5* pitch at half stick and +6* or +7* at full stick. (it takes about +5.5* to hover) start out with about 45% or 50% throttle at half stick. Only set full throttle stick up at about 60% throttle for this flight mode.This first flight mode will be good to learn to hover and simple forward flight. (not to agressive) sample reading throttle curve mite be 0,20,35,45,50,55,60. One big thing on you pitch curve............set your "end point adjustments for full through that the heli will let you go. Then go to the pitch curves and limit the throw. on the "normal flight mode you only want +6* and -2* pitch. eventually you will want to increase the negative pitch to -4* and when your good take it to -6*. On mine I have 3 flight modes...........#1 is +7* -6* #2 is +9* -9* #3 is +9* -9*. As far as how to set throttle curves for all these you will need an heli optical tach. You can set your first flight mode to rotor speed of 1600 rpm's. this is where the testing and adjusting come into play. Your throttle curve should keep the rmp's at 1600 no matter what the pitch is. While in the throttle curve mode watch when you move the throttle stick the position of the throttle stick changes the "blinking" number in the transmitter, that number adjust that portion of the stick. (basically you have 7 throttle positions you can change) Each flight mode you need to set this up. #2 flight mode you need to set rotor speed about 1800 rpms and #3 flight mode about 1850 rpm's. Flight mode 2 and 3 are only for aerobatics and serious 3D.This all seems overwelming but only takes someone with heli experiance about 1/2 hour to get really close. Thats why we all suggest getting someone that flys helis to set it up for you. It can be done by a newbie if he is patient and alittle anal about reading,checking and rechecking. Start with the pitch curve first it is easiest to get set, you know exactlly where that is uppose to be using a pitch gage and some patients. you can only st up normal flight mode at first if you like and fly it like that for quite awhile actually. After reading all this if you are not totally confused and have some specific questions while you are going through all this please feel free to drop a line back and ask all the questions you want.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Wally_Gator

Edge_Pilot,

Perfect... That is exactly what I was looking for.
I have already setup my normal mode Pitch curve just as you had explained.
Mainly I was looking for the Throttle curves as there are no references out there
for seven point curves. The info yoy have given me, gives me a good place to
start and start only. I am thinking this weekend I may be ready to attempt a
hover. I am not rushing it.
I have gone through the raptortechnique web site with a fine tooth comb and
feel very confident on the servo setup. I was a bit anal on setting up the
links, calipers, sized the ball links and double and tripple checked everything.
Only thing left is to finish balancing the main rotor blades.

Thank you..
Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 PM
edge_pilot

Sounds good. With patients you will have a much easier time with helis. When you get it going for the first time and you get ready to start throttleing up pay attention to the sound of the heli. If it sounds like it screaming before it lifts off it probably is. Reduce the throttle curve until it sound good and then check it with the tach. Sounds like you are on the right track though to have success.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Wally_Gator

Just for your info...
Your refrence info for throttle curves has helped alot...

Currently I have seen a huge increase in power and have had to back off of my throttle curve.
I am waiting on an Optical Tach. But compared to the first flights. My head speed was screaming
this last time. After adjustment this is what I am seeing on my Throttle curve..
Remember this is a Jr9303 TX on a Rapt 50 with the O.S. 50 SX Hyper engine.

L 0
1 9.5%
2 24.5% I may lower this value for a smoother transition.
3 32%
4 43%
5 54.5%
H 60%

I get a solid hover at mid stick with a good ear based headspeed.
Mid stick was set up for 5*-5.5* pitch using a pitch gauge.

For a beginner like me, this thing is running great. I love it.
Frustrated I could only run 1 tank through it today. Started Raining.

Thanks everyone for your help...

Walter (Wally_gator)