Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

Flybar control lever ball link location???

Community
Search
Notices

Flybar control lever ball link location???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:57 PM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flybar control lever ball link location???

I am starting to do a fair amount of aerobatics with my Raptor 50 V2 and what I have found is that this thing rolls way to slow. I mean like 3 seconds to do a full roll. This is bothersome. I realize it will not likely ever roll as fast as my 3D planes, but this is too slow. So I have been thinking about what to do. I currently have the carbon blades on it with a head speed of 1850-1870 in ST1. Will switching the ball link on the flybar control lever from the inner hole to the outer hole help it roll faster? The manual says to use the outer hole for extreme 3D. Would there be any adverse effects? A slight loss in stability is okay.

FWIW, I do all my flying on the recommended high rates already. The low rates react much to slow for my liking. I like the controls to react very fast.

I currently have all my planes so the low rates are now the manufacturers suggested high rates. The high rates are all set to the mechanical limits and I still want more at times.

TIA
Old 01-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flybar control lever ball link location???

Go for a set of lighter paddles. The new Thunder Tiger green paddles are supposed to work very well, and are relatively inexpensive.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:38 AM
WhtBronco

I htought about the new green paddles. 2 small probs. My wife said no more money on my moels for a bit and the LHS is 90 minutes away.

So if moving the ball links won't help I'll just live with the most pathetic roll rate of any aircraft I have flown for a while longer.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:07 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving the ball links WILL help. I did it to mine. I understand what you mean about roll rate. I am going with the new 3D paddles from thundertiger. They are just white but they are lighter and they are sticking them on there new Raptor 50SE models. Not sure what this will do but I have seen the benefits of differant paddles already and it makes mine look like a wounded duck.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:01 PM
WhtBronco

Okay, that's what I was hoping to hear. I know that lighter paddles will help since they rotate faster, but I want to put off for a little while spending anymore money if possible.

I'll go ahead and move the ball links for now and see if that helps. After the taxes are done maybe I can get some new paddles and a few other things I want to get.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I ended up doing both, greem ultralight paddles, and moving the ball out. Makes a huge difference. You'l love those paddles. Best 10$ you'll ever spend on that heli.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
WhtBronco

Good deal. I had hoped that the combination of the green paddles and moving the ball links out would help. Doing 1 at a time will be a good thing for me anyway.

Had another question along the same lines regarding roll rate. I noticed at the LHS that several of the helis there, not just Raptors, had 4mm flybars rather than the stock 3mm. Wow are they stiff in comparison. Would that help to increase response to all cyclic inputs? Seems to me it would since it should reduce the amount flex the flybar has. The guys at the LHS said it would and it sounds like a good idea, also seems like a fairly expensive mod since it requires a good bit to be changed out.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 AM
rusirius

WhtBronco,
Moving the ball links out will help a bit... Probably not as much as you'd like though. The paddles WOULD make the biggest difference, BUT there is a way you can get lighter paddles WITHOUT spending more money... Basically you just want to drill some holes in the paddle. (stay about 1/2 inch back from the leading edge, you don't want to mess up the leading edge airfoil). Just drill holes (say 1/4") in the paddle until it gets to the weight you want. You DO need to make sure both paddles weight exactly the same (to a tenth of a gram would be sufficient), most digital scales would be suffiecient. You also need to cover the holes with a sticker or some tape. Run the edge of the tape/sticker on the same 1/2 back from the leading edge line you started from, in other words, don't mess with the leading edge.. If it's good tape or sticker, it should be fine by itself, it it's not, you may want to ca the front edge to keep it from peeling up. You'll be AMAZED at how much of a difference this will make, and well... it's free!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 PM
peteb

WhtBronco,

Check out this link for a picture and directions on how to drill your paddles, and much more info about Raptors.

http://www.raptortechnique.com/