Search
Notices

Is this a good deal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 05:52 AM
BadAtti2de

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal.

Well I think I am going to do it. I am looking at the r50v2 with a futaba 7c radio for my first heli setup. I would like to keep the price under or around $1000. Heliproz has this deal for the heli, http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...?number=104855 , but it doesnt say if it includes the motor, and if so which one would it be. (I guess I could call and ask). Also besides the gyro 401 and extra servo for the tail, what else do I need. I have 3 planes I fly now so I have all of that equip, (flight box, torque starter, misc tools, stuff for planes). What else should I look into getting. Thanks

John
Old 01-22-2005, 07:51 AM
rusirius

Default RE: Is this a good deal.

Is it a good deal? Yeah, in my opinion just about all the heliproz deals are pretty good.

No, this setup does NOT include the motor... It is the kit only...

Here's what you'll need to finish the bird itself...Obviously you'll need a motor...
You'll need your radio... and you'll need one that comes with at least 4 servos... Make sure the servos are rated for heli use though... I have seen some packages that were heli radios that came with standard servos that were rated only for airplane use, not heli use.
You'll need a gyro...
You'll need a tail rotor servo... The digital 9253/4 is fantastic, but honestly you can get away with cheaper non-digital servos. The 401 is a great gyro, so you'll be fine unless you start doing some seriously hard 3D you'll probably never notice the difference in the tail...
You'll need helo fuel obviously...
You'll need a starter shaft for your torque starter...
If you don't already have them for the planes, you'll want to get a GOOD set of hardend metric allen wrenches...
You'll need a remote glow adaptor (sometimes called a headlock)
It's not neccesary, but I also recommend a header tank....
You'll want to get a "voltwatch" or similar accessory to keep an eye on your batteries... (the voltwatch ones are nice cause you can just "look" at the status, not have to plug in a meter or anything like that...
You CAN get away without them, but your life will be 1000 times easier if you buy a pair of ball link pliers...
You'll want a ball link sizing tool... Though you can make one out of a spare ball link and a pair of pliers (just put "tooling" marks in a regular ball link to turn it into a sizing tool)
You'll want a good fuel filter... (You NEVER want to have problems with that engine... )
You'll want a pitch gauge. The raptors have a "built in" pitch gauge, but it has to be "calibrated" the first time with a real pitch gauge, and it's not that accurate after that... (it's marked for -12, 0, +6, and +12)... Many points on the pitch curve you'll want to run fall outside of those figures...
You'll want to either BUY a tach, or BORROW a tach... You'll definately want one to set it up... Especially when your just beginning... You want the head speed around 1650 when your trying to learn to hover it..
You'll also want a foam "blade holder".

That pretty much covers it... If you haven't figured it out yet, it's gonna be somewhat difficult to get that package and stay under your $1000 mark. If you HAVE to stay under $1000, then your probably better off looking at the 30, or a good alternative is the Hawk Sport by century... It's not quite on par with the rappy, but still an admirable machine, and much cheaper... You may also want to look at a straight 50 (without the hop-ups and CF blades) to get a little cheaper too.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Wally_Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going for a 50 and do not have alot of heli time, might consider the following:
http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...er=101450HYPER
This one I bought and love it. Comes with the motor and if you are not doing 3d yet,
theis one is great. Two big differences... The SE has no motor, has 3d paddles and has a $80
upgrade to the main head. The Hyper combo has everything the SE does with the exception
of the 3d paddles and metal head block, but it does have a $210 motor. While the SE has the TT
Head block, you can but a Mavrikk metal head block for $46.

Some thoughts to help...
Old 01-22-2005, 03:04 PM
WhtBronco

I just bought a Raptor 50 kit with the TT50 included, a JR8103 radio with digital 811 servos, GY401/9254 gyro combo, and some assorted heli tools. I already had a lot fo the starter equipment from flying glow powered planes. It still cost me $1500 for everything. Now I could have saved a little on that, maybe $100, but I bought everything at the LHS due to the phenominal customer servie I receive there.

FWIW, Home Depot has a very nice set of allen ball wrenches that includes both SAE and metric for a bout $20.

You can save a little bit now by getting a Raptor 30, or another 30 size machine, and then upgrading it to a 50 in the future. It'll cost more in the long run, but reduce the initial cost. As previously mentioned staying under $1000 or even at it won't be easy even if you get cheap stuff, which I don't recommend.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I recomend the standard 50 kit, right out of the box it is fully capable of everything that the SE version is capable of, and is a better deal. fewer expensive and fragile carbon fiber bits to replace in a crash too.

If you are looking to save a few $, and still have a good heli, consider buying the gy401 gyro without the digital servo (works fine with any standard servo) and saves you about 100$

I fly JR 652, 6102 transmiters and just started on the Futaba 9CHP super. The futaba 9C is my curent favorite, but i still fly my older helis with the cheaper radios and have a blast. if you can afford the 9C, by all means get it, but you can save a couple hundred on a cheaper radio, and still have fun.

standard servos work fine on tail and throtle, but you will want a bit more for collective and cyclics. futaba 9252's are curent favorites of many, (~ 75$ each) but you can do petty well with hitech 635's for around 30$ each on collective and cyclics.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:26 PM
BadAtti2de

Well I cant seem to find the standard r50V2 with all of the basics, (links?).

What it looks like I will have to do is buy something here, there, so the wife doesnt freak. With that said what order should I buy stuff.
1 motor
2 heli
3 radio
4 ?

or do I need everthing to put it together at one time.

Also thanks for the response and help.

John
Old 01-22-2005, 07:03 PM
WhtBronco

I'd suggest getting the Raptor 50 kit that includes the TT50 engine, that's what I got. It's the cheapest means in the end to get the engine. For $490 you get the heli kit, TT50 engine and a decent muffler. I bought the heli first and had to wait for the radio to come in. I found there was not a lot I could do without the servos and such, but enough to get started. However, you cannot really finish the heli and then add the radio like you can with planes. There is a lot more setup on helis and the pushrods were the thing that by far took me the longest to complete. They have to be perfect.

Allen wrenches, ball link pliers, a ball link sizing tool and snap ring pliers are needed during assembly. The ball link pliers and sizing are not required, but will make life much easier and the ball links will be in better shape from using the special pliers than if you just yank the ball links off and you will be installing and removing them a lot during assembly.

I am flying my Raptor 50 with JR DS811 servos, they are more than adequate and when purchased with the radio are not expensive. They are $48 each seperately. For normal flying, basic aerobatics, standard servos would probably do fine though. The LHS suggested for any kind of hard flying I'd want servos with atleast 50oz in of torque. The 811's have 54oz in and have done just fine for me doing lops rolls and frequently pulling through loops and turns are hard as possible, in fact hard enough to flex the stock would blades. Now I have the carbon blades on it since they don't flex as much.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Recomended versions of hte 50 kit: cut and paste from heliproz.com

All of these kits come with carbon baldes, and a set of wood blades (good to start with woods to keep the crash cost down) they also come with a nice muffler. and a few other goodies. two of them come with engines the midle one comes with everything but engine (and electronics of course).

101450W50
Raptor 50V2 PLUS OS 50SXH, w/TT Carbons, Free UPS!
In Stock
$549.99

Raptor 50V2 Kit, Ace #4851K10 Incl. Carbon Blades, Free UPS
In Stock
$389.99

Raptor 50 V2 w/TT50 Engine 4851-k11 w/Carbon Blades FREE UPS
In Stock
$489.99

Great heli. When you progress to aerobatics, the only thing you will need to upgrade is the paddles. 10$ buys the TT ultralight paddles (greenees) and you are good to go.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
BadAtti2de

This is what I have priced so far from heliproz

Raptor 50 V2 w/TT50 Engine 4851-k11 w/Carbon Blades FREE UPS (In Stock)
Item :101453 Price : $489.99
$489.99
Add the on board thermometer w/ bracket for BEST engine tuning!
Fut. GY401 w/9254 LOWER, Call! FUTM0808 (In Stock)
Item :169840 Price : $219.99
$219.99
Futaba 7CHF FM 7ch w/(4) 3151 Sport Digitals, CALL! Free UPS (In Stock)
Item :179200 Price : $299.99
$299.99
Mavrikk Ball Link Pliers!! (In Stock)
Item :803115 Price : $17.99
$17.99
RVO1008 Univ. Pitch Gauge Incl. vinyl case (In Stock)
Item :123835 Price : $19.99
$19.99
Ace 3800 Foam Blade Holder 30/50 (In Stock)
Item :103572 Price : $5.99
$5.99
Save over 20% with this better looking one!
Futaba GV-1 Governor - Call (In Stock)
Item :103125 Price : $169.99
$169.99

Subtotal:
$1,223.93

This is with the Governor. Should I hold off on the gov. and get a tach. Also it appears if I call the order in, I will get a better price on some of the items.

Any suggestions
Old 01-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Temp monitor is optional. I use a cheap IR thermometer to check it once in a while. Governor is also optional, especially when starting out.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Wally_Gator

You get the cheaper price no matter what. The price will only be
revealed online, once the purchase is complete. This has to do
with companies like JR and Futaba having a Fixed Advertised price.
If you call them they will tell you the price you will pay online or
over the phone.
I bought the Hyper Raptor combo last month and I love it.

I figured that I would want the best that I can afford so I am
not adding and adding. With lhs support the Raptor was a no brainer.
The people at Heliproz have been great to me and with no sales
tax. That was an added bonus. My lhs gets enough of my business.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Flyfalcons

Leave out the governor and temp monitor, and add a cheap paddle alignment gauge. After adjusting the Futaba prices down, you should be around your $1000 mark, which is pretty good for a 50.