Search
Notices

First Rappy 30 flights-Some issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Dr. Bellows
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Rappy 30 flights-Some issues!

Houston, we have lift off!
Had a successful hover with the Raptor on Sunday. First off, I removed my balls (and no, I did not put them in the wife's purse!) I also replaced my glow plug with an O.S. #8. She started right up, idle was good, but she would still spin once it got light on the skids. So I switched to non-heading to control it and planted her down. Shut everything down and decided, what the heck, and switched my gyro to reverse. Second start-up, I got to hover. So the training gear was the vibration issue. But I initially thought I had the gyro/rudder set-up correctly. When the rudder stick was move to the right, the control rod for the tail pulled toward the front of the helicopter. And when I picked up the helicopter by the rotor head, I grabbed the tail boom and quickly rotated the helicopter so the nose would turn clockwise, the control rod, moved forward (clockwise).
Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
tippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr. Bellows : ... I grabbed the tail boom and quickly rotated the helicopter so the nose would turn clockwise, the control rod, moved forward (clockwise).
Yep ... that would be backwards.

A (nose) right YAW command (whether from stick or gyro) requires the Control Rod to move forward. So countering a (nose) right movement would require the control rod to move aft.

To manually test this ... moving a helis nose to the right should produce from the gyro a control rod moving aft (left nose YAW command). If the gyro gives the same command that you are manually inducing then your gonna get the spins.

I generally test the control interaction by facing (including TX) the right side of the heli (nose pointed right/ tail pointed left). This makes it a little easier because now a right stick/gyro command moves the linkage to YOUR right (heli's forward). Likewise, a left stick/gyro command moves the linkage left (heli's aft). In otherwords, the linkage follows the stick.

Now when you do the manual test and move the heli's nose to it's left ... you should expect the gyro to respond with a linkage movement to the right, etc.

Good Luck,
tippy
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Dr. Bellows

I guess Raptor Technique has it wrong.

From Raptor Technique:
Check radio/gyro
Move the rudder stick to the right, the control rod for the tail should be pulled toward the front of the helicopter. Next pick up the helicopter by the rotor head. Grab the tail boom and quickly rotate the helicopter so the nose goes to the left. Watch the control rod, it needs to move forward. If it does not then the gyro is reversed.

DB
Old 11-30-2005, 09:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Raptor Technique is right. If you pick up your heli and move the nose to the LEFT the rod should move forward to input RIGHT tail rotor. Its best to test this in AVCS mode as the tail blades will stay put when you move the heli.

Moving the nose clock wise is moving the nose to the Right. (looking from above) Sounds to me like your thinking looking at the nose of the heli from the front.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:51 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: RSL_Mongoose

You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
Its not what you do to your own helicopters, its trying to pass that off as good advice to newbies that concerns us.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM
tippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr. Bellows : I guess Raptor Technique has it wrong.

From Raptor Technique:
Check radio/gyro
Move the rudder stick to the right, the control rod for the tail should be pulled toward the front of the helicopter. Next pick up the helicopter by the rotor head. Grab the tail boom and quickly rotate the helicopter so the nose goes to the left. Watch the control rod, it needs to move forward. If it does not then the gyro is reversed.
tippy : To manually test this ... moving a helis nose to the right should produce from the gyro a control rod moving aft (left nose YAW command). If the gyro gives the same command that you are manually inducing then your gonna get the spins.
Sounds right to me.

d.tipton
Old 11-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Dr. Bellows

Moving the nose clock wise is moving the nose to the Right. (looking from above) Sounds to me like your thinking looking at the nose of the heli from the front.
You are correct, I was looking at the nose from the front. Duh!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: Dr. Bellows

You are correct, I was looking at the nose from the front. Duh!
Hey Doc your not a surgeon by any chance??
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Dr. Bellows

Hey Doc your not a surgeon by any chance??
I guess I spent so much time prying into the psyche of Major Anthony Nelson that I didn't realize my Gyro was reversed!

DB

Thanks for help guys. We have only one rotorhead at the club and you all are big help.