Search
Notices

BEST PLACE TO BUY A RAPTOR 50

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:50 PM
P-40LUVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST PLACE TO BUY A RAPTOR 50

Anyone have an idea where would be the best place to buy my first gas heli?
I decided on the Raptor 50 size,I would like the best price,support and shipping..(doesn't everyone..lol).
Also..I was wondering if the canopy can be painted on this thing..bright yellow would look cool!
How about some suggestions on a complete setup as far as gyro,servos,radio equipment,and field stuff.
Thanks sooo much!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:22 PM
ljrt

Default RE: BEST PLACE TO BUY A RAPTOR 50

Have a look at www.heliproz.com. They have most everything that you want including free shipping and great prices. For the gyro the Futaba gy401 w/9254 servo. Radio is personal choice JR or Futaba (the better ones you won't out grow right away). Stay away from the FM receivers stay with the PCM receivers. I am sure that everyone will have suggestion. Again most are of personal preference because that is what they use. Good luck and have fun. Len
Old 03-05-2006, 07:33 PM
sceadu37

why a raptor???

why not a nice hirobo sceadu swm (ccpm)
Old 03-05-2006, 08:21 PM
jsenicka
My Feedback: (79)

Heliproz or Rick's (www.ronlund.com)
Old 03-05-2006, 08:30 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

I've had great service from heliproz and helihobby. Both have fast shipping but helihobby is not free.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:56 AM
carlyle

if I were you, I would go with a raptor...

Get the Heliproz raptor 50 package with the hyper engine... Get 9252 servos all around, and a 401 gyro with 9254 tail servo.

If I lived in the states, that's what I would be getting, without question.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Heliproz and Ricks are both top of the class.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
misileman
My Feedback: (8)

Heliproz, Onlyraptors, or Rick's, either one you can't go wrong.
As for painting the canopy. The stock polypropylene or bleach bottle type plastic takes many steps to prep, with automotive type flex agents so not to let the paint chip off as easy. I've tried the "Krylon For Plastics Paint" and it will have to be clear coated with "Nitro Fuel Proof Clear". Any way you choose the stock canopy material will eventually crack, chip, peel, or shatter in a crash.
If this is your first heli, I'd recommend sticking with the stock white canopy with decals. This way when you get brave and push the limit a little to far and the ground comes up and hits the heli out of the air, it's not as big of a disappointment with broken parts but also a nice paint job is shattered too.
I always wet sand the stock canopy with 230 & 600, clean good with Dawn dish detergent, then apply decals. This way the decals will survive several crashes, nitro fuel residue, and regular cleaning without lifting a corner.

Good choice of heli,
Happy Landings
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 PM
squawk1200

I've had great luck with the Raptor and Heliproz. I highly recommend both.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Hogpilot
My Feedback: (1)

I'm Flying the Raptor 50 Hyper setup, only thing I can say about it.. is Awsumb! I've primarily dealt with Heliproz, with no complaints.

David
Old 03-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Motions

I got mine from Chief Aircraft. Not very well known but it's the best price you will find and has free shipping. They were great to work with.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...RRaptor50.html
Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

Go to the website raptortechnique.com - lots of good info there.

My equipment choice, and I like this setup:
- Radio: Airtronics RD8000 many good features with this radio and the cost is right. I could write a couple of pages on this radio.
- Gyro: Futaba 401 with 9254 servo it's like someine is holding the tail for you and they are well known.
- cyclic servos I fly Futaba 9202's. My next set will be Hitec 635's. Digitals eat batterys and are not needed on 50 size birds unless you are a hotshot pilot
- Throttle servo: Hitec 525
- Get the OS-50 Hyper, I fly the OS-50SX-H, great engine.
- I'd get the Mavrikk $50 muffler if money is a concern otherwise go with a Hatori or MusclePipe-II
- Don't get fancy with the canopy until you get good at flying - they take a punishment when you make a mistake.
- Also, I am doing flips/rolls/loops and am still using $18 Mavrikk main blades. They have taken some of the sting out of my crashes.

If you are ordering soon, ask about the Raptor-50 Titanium edition. It's supposed to be shipping very soon.

When you order, go ahead and get a crash kit - Heliproz has a good kit for $40 which includes a set of wood blades or $80 with a decent set of composite blades.

And finally, the best peice of advice is to find some other heli pilots to help you get started.

It is WAY cool.. I've been flying helis for about 8 months now and still have the taste of doing my first hover then FF, then working on the orientation... each milesone is an accompishment. I've been flying RC planes for 20 years, but this has nearly stopped the airplanes.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
fire@forthall

I would have to agree with Motions. Chief aircraft supply has THE BEST SERVICE that I have ever run into. I have delt with heliproz as well and yes they are very good, but if you like your ice cream with nuts and a cherry on top Chief will give you chills. They really are great to deal with!!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:02 PM
RC-MAN-4EVA

EBAY!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: RC-MAN-4EVA

EBAY!!!

edited...

thanks,

Tony Zurenda
Harpursville, NY USA

Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
john68

I'm looking for the same thing. I think this is the setup I am going with...

Raptor 50 V2
O.S. .50 SX-H
Futaba 9CHP
Futaba GY401 - 9254 tail servo
Futaba 9204's or 9202's
...haven't decided on a govenor yet.

This will be my first nitro heli. I have been flying planes for 17 years, and have had a Blade CX and Blade CP, so I think I am ready to step-up to nitro. I figure, if I can hover and do FF with the blade CP, I don't think nitro will be that much more challenging. The best part is, I already have all the field equipment, except the hex key for the starter. no big deal, I'm sure.

I figured on the 9C radio so I can fly my planes from it as well (if I ever touch my planes again, these helicopters are really really addicting and challenging!)

If anyone sees an immediate flaw in my purchase plans, let me know so I can get the right stuff.

I also notice that rick's (ronlund.com) and heliproz don't have any raptor 50 V2's in stock.

what's the difference between the raptor 50 V2 and the Raptor Pro 50?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
guitar
My Feedback: (-2)

FOR A FIRST GAS CHOPPER I WOOD RECAMEND A 30 SIZE.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Heliproz is getting the last batch of 50v2's in soon.

As for starting out, a 50 is a great way to go. You get the low parts count and easy assembly and low parts cost of the 30s with 60 sized performance. If you are going to stick with it you will probably end up getting a 50 size upgrade kit so don't bother buying twice.

The revlock by CSM is a great little governor, works like a champ and is simple to set up but if you are going to spend that money I would get a good collective servo like the 9252, you can add a governor later if you need, its really not going to do you much good until you really start throwing it around.

One thing you will want to do is pull the metal tab off your throttle stick and flip it over so you have a smooth throttle movement.

Guitar, typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING, its best saved for when you want to emphasize a point.
Thanks
Andy
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 PM
jomuj

You should check out [link=http://shop.rotor.com.sg]Rotor Hobby[/link], they are based in Singapore so the shipping could be costly, but the prices might be a bit lower than in the US maybe.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:44 AM
jimco
My Feedback: (20)

Check out PHI. Coming out with ccpm , 60 size machine, within 2 weeks, All metal rotor headblock and grips, metal tail assy. G-10 stacked frames. Unreal heli at the price. Approx. 499.00, and no upgrades needed. MADE IN USA. Located in Fayetteville, Georgia. Go to www.phiheli.com. Hope this helps. Thanks, Jimco