Search
Notices

machine response question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
sydr1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default machine response question

Now i am getting more confident and competent my raptor 30 v2 is wizzing aroung all over the show - after months of very little enjoyment my perserverence is finally paying off. I use a os32sx gy401 with s9524. The heli is still set up for basic hovering. I think it has a bottom stick pitch of 0 degrees through to a top stick setting of +8. I know i will eventually need to reconfigure the machine as my skill level increases but i have gone a couple of sessions without major incident and will leave it for a bit. However, my question is this. When i am powering out of maneovers the machine doesnt seem to have the balls at times. Assuming the engine is running fine what is the more likely cause - general set up(ie pitch curve/mechanical pitch range) or the fact that i run a poxy set of futaba 3001 which may not have suficient speed and power
Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
tippy

Default RE: machine response question

ORIGINAL: sydr1234

Now i am getting more confident and competent my raptor 30 v2 is wizzing aroung all over the show - after months of very little enjoyment my perserverence is finally paying off. I use a os32sx gy401 with s9524. The heli is still set up for basic hovering. I think it has a bottom stick pitch of 0 degrees through to a top stick setting of +8. I know i will eventually need to reconfigure the machine as my skill level increases but i have gone a couple of sessions without major incident and will leave it for a bit. However, my question is this. When i am powering out of maneovers the machine doesnt seem to have the balls at times. Assuming the engine is running fine what is the more likely cause - general set up(ie pitch curve/mechanical pitch range) or the fact that i run a poxy set of futaba 3001 which may not have suficient speed and power
3001 as pitch servo? ... you definely can do better. As you said, it's OK for learning but when challenged it may faulter some (or a lot).

Also +8 in normal may be OK for the local conditions you are at (altitude, temperature, humidity, density) but you might try just a tad more +. Try +8.5 -+9. In really good conditions (and good engine tuning) an OS32 can handle reasonable +9 pitch (but not much more). A quick would be to see if the engine RPM revs up a little at full collective. If it does, bump up the pitch a little.

But before doing that ... get a better servo on pitch.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 AM
sydr1234

Thanks tippy. Getting new servos tomorrow morning. Finances dictate i may have to make a small improvement by staying analogue ( i am still very much a novice - so hope these will be ok for now). someone suggested futaba s3305, which produce double the torque of the s3001 (98.8 oz @ .25 sec compared with 44.4 oz @ .23 sec. Hopefully the speed will be ok for what i need. With all the cash im laying out on this project at the moment its all im prepared to do. 4 @ £35.00 sterling. Unless you think i am wasting my time. As for the blade pitch i will look at this tonight. I guess you are suggesting that this pitch is inherently unstable for genral movement. I have found that it has tipped over once at 50 ft plus. Given a gust of wind it wont drop quick enough!!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Whats happening is now that you are flying around, when you want to descend at 0 degrees pitch you have to slow the head way down to descend and you are trying to spool the blades back up to speed at the same time they are being loaded by pitch.

You need more negative pitch so you can descend without loosing head speed and possibly an idle up depending on where you are at in your training.

http://www.raptortechnique.com
Old 04-10-2006, 10:15 AM
sydr1234

Thanks for your reply. If i understand you correctly it makes perfect sense - Im obviously asking too much of the mechanics in more than one respect. I know in need to look at setting the machine up differently now i am moving around. I know this is gonna sound stupid - BUT ill ask anyway - Generally speaking how will adding more negative pitch effect the flying characteristics of the heli. Sorry, at work been here too many hours and bored. It will obvioulsy descend quicker. Acceleration ?? Im just trying to visualise the physics. Thanks for your patience with such elementary q.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:36 AM
carlyle

adding negative pitch will just allow the helicopter to decend without bringing the engine to idle.

You need 0 degrees (or less) to decend at a half decent rate. If your bottom stick is 0 degrees, then that means the engine is at idle too. so when you go to bottom stick (0 degrees), your engine isn't spining the blades at all, and the headspeed is slowing down. When you want to stop the downward decent, the engine is reved back up, and engaging the blades again. This is not desirable. The easy fix for this, is to put around -6 degrees in at bottom stick. Then, when your at 0 degrees, the engine is still engaged, and spinning the blades. You can then decend, and have full engine response.

as far as effecting your flying after you set it up this way, it won't effect it much. you will find that your collective/throttle controls will have to be a BIT more precise, as you are adding a wider range of pitch.

Honestly, just go to raptor technique and read about pitch curves.

Hope this helped a bit!