Community
Search
Notices

Rapter30v2 upgraded to 50, noobie..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 AM
helitroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rapter30v2 upgraded to 50, noobie..

Hi, I purchased a Raptor 30 v2 upgraded to 50. I need to get all the accesories for it. I'm looking at getting this field box........http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL419&P=PU
What do you all think of it and does the starter have pleanty of power? Also will the battery be good enough?
Does the starter fit all Raptors? Do I need a special shaft? If so how do I know what size I need?

Thanks all for your input. Troy.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Rapter30v2 upgraded to 50, noobie..

try http://www.heliproz.com

Any airplane starter with a 12 volt battery will start a Raptor 50. You need a 6mm shaft, the Raptor has a one way bearing in the clutch so theres no need for the one way starter shaft.

One last thing, I'm not a fan of the corded glow drivers, especially around helicopters. Get a nicad type glow starter and if it doesn't already have one, a glow plug extension for the Raptor so you don't have to pull the canopy every time you try to start it.

Call heliproz, they will help you out, everyone that picks up the phone there flys helis.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 AM
RevGadget

I started with a field box kit simular to the one shown. The only thing I didn't like about it was the coiled fuel line. I have the NiCad glow driver and the corded glow driver type also, of which I don't mind using.

I guess its just a matter of personal preference when it comes to using the corded glow driver and the corded starter. When I entered the hobby, I wanted everything needed to start and fuel the Heli. Thats how I ended up getting the kit.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
rjm1982

I dont see a problem with the corded stuff, at least not from a safety point.

If the heli keep dying when you walk it out, then its a PIA...but otherwise, no big deal...

I have wireless stuff though, because of the planes...since the blades are going as long as the engine is, since you dont have the benifit of a clutch like a heli...
Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

My rationale is this. With helis and the transmitters sitting on the table things like glow driver cords and neck straps and such, I've found it easy to bump switches or throttles etc. Plus the issue rjm brought up, on the first start of the day I usually leave the glow driver on until I set it down and get ready to spool up and have my neck strap fastened etc.

Making sure to always start in throttle hold helps, but I just don't like wires all over the place.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM
rjm1982

Barracuda, im with you, i prefer the cordless...

But its not as neccessary or as much of a safety issue with helis...

I do like everything cordless as possible though...but i always keep corded backup ready!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:30 AM
helitroy

Thanks all,

It sounds like the kit mentioned would be fine but I may want to get wireless later on. I just thought the kit was a fairly good deal. Thanks, Troy.