Search
Notices

GY401 gyro question on Raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
mtnflyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GY401 gyro question on Raptor 50

After screwing up a nose in takeoff, I had to replace the main blades and tail boom on my Raptor 50. In the three subsequent flights (hovering in 10-12 mph winds) the tail has been fairly squirrelly, occasionally moving as much as 90 degrees without rudder input. I have the GY401 with 9254 servo and am flying in HH mode. Did not have this problem prior to changing blades and tail boom. I have checked setup on transmitter (Futaba Super 8), rudder linkage, etc and see no discrepancies. Any other ideas from the old hands here on what could be the problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: GY401 gyro question on Raptor 50

Check the gyro tape, give it a twist.

Also check that the belt it twisted the correct way 1/4 twist in the boom, that the tail rotor is spinning the correct direction and belt tension.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:30 PM
whiteknuckleairlines
My Feedback: (3)

servo gears feel ok?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:04 AM
mtnflyer14

I have checked the gyro-still attached securely; belt is correct, no binding and tail rotor turns correct direction; servo gears operate smoothly, no missing teeth. For troubleshooting, I'm thinking of flying it in normal mode, verifying trim, land, switch to HH and see if the problem persists. Any other troubleshooting ideas? Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:46 PM
atibert
My Feedback: (95)

I had the same problem and the GREAT people at Heliproz helped me find a simple problem , the conection at the receiver had backed out just a bit and caused an intermittent just as you described. Mine would just turn 90 degrees for no reason at all, anyway those people at Heliproz are very helpful and nice to talk with......solved my problem.
I hope yours is something simple and is solved soon.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:55 PM
atibert
My Feedback: (95)

I also forgot one other thing, I was one spline off from center when I reattached my rudder pushrod so when I had the Heading hold off, the rudder was not centered. This was another problem I made an adjustment on my heli and something you might check also.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
lawrencelkl

hi, i am relatively quite new to heli set up.
i have got a second hand heli( but in good condition) which comes with gyro ( old style)
now i am trying to install the rest of the servos and test fly it. but before that i noticed that the gyro effect is reversed of what it is supposed to do.
i have checked the gyro, it does not have a reverse switch, and there is no other place i can mount the gyro as it is now.
what solution are there for mi to make sure it is set up correctly?

the only thing i can think of now is to reverse the mounting side of the rudder servo, reverse and rudder channel and so the gyro should be doing right job now, any other alternative?
anything like a gyro reverser ( where to get?) easily plug in ?

many thanks.

Lawrence
Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
helitroy

hmmmmm, It seems like you can reverse it with your tx?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Rudder channel reverse controls which way the nose will go with a stick command.

Reverse the gyro or turn it upside down and that will reverse the sensing of the gyro.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'old style' leaves a bit of a vague wide open window of guesses as to which gyro it is or could be. even the old ball bearing gyros had reversing, the Futaba's had a switch, the JRs you flipped the plug between the gyro and the gyro amp.

kc
Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Helitroy, barracuda and KC,

thank you all for the suggestion and info, yes, i tried with remounting the gyro upside down ( saving the hassle to remount the rudder servo with new servo mount) and it sees like doing the right job now.

however, what i am concerned now is, will that reversed mounting of gyro affects its performance? i guess the piezo will be OK but mine is a small black cube with humming sounds(like motor turning constantly inside) ,attached to an amplifier.

i think it is a sanwa, (with kind of ' EA' printed on it) but i will try to search for the paperwork tonight and let u know soon.

cheers

many thanks.

Lawrence
Old 05-23-2006, 05:11 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a ball bearing Airtronics version, you can remove the lead between the gyro and the amp and 'flip' it upside down to reverse it as mentioned above.

even with the gyro mounted upside down performance is the same so if you have it mounted and are happy with the mounting, leave it as is.

kc
Old 05-25-2006, 03:51 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi KC and friends,

I could not find the paperwork still, but i think it should be a BB airtrocnics type like you mentioned above.
i have it securely mounted upside down now and it work OK when i swing the tail around.
i will just need some good weather out there to go to the field and try out.

the heli i am working on now is an old model but good condition, hirobo MH-10 , powered by OS 10/15, anyone has any experience with it so that i could get some tips?

I had flown ( hovering level only) lite machines 100+, hirobo shuttle plus, kalt baron whisper ( electric) and some micro electric helis.

cheers

Lawrence