Governor and Field Charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor and Field Charger

Hello,

When its windy and when i turn the my raptor 30 in the turns it goes up or goes down depending on the direction of the turn, its normal because the main rotor speed reduces and increases and it has to be compensated by throttle.

One of the guy suggested me to get a governor to overcome that problem. Does a governor help in this regard?

I am not into 3D stuff i am just learning forward flighht. Is it worth to get a governor at this stage or its completely waste of money? If i need to get one which is a good one, i use Futaba 9c with PCM servos (S9001), GY401 + 9254, Futaba R1490P reciever and OS .32 engine.

One more thing what field charger do you guys recommend? I use a 12 V battery for my starter.

Please advise

Thanks

Old 08-12-2006, 03:05 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts
Default RE: Governor and Field Charger

No a governor wont help, learning to compensate without thinking about it wil and it doesn't have anything to do with the rotor speeding up or slowing down.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:39 PM
archiebald

One more thing what field charger do you guys recommend?
There is a huge choice, difficult to recommend one over another unless you test them all but I have been using this one and it does me fine.

http://ks.jp.org/ks_e/index2.htm

I re-charge my 1500mAH nicad after every third flight.

As for the governor, I have been flying around a year and I just installed one. I tend to agree with barracuda, plus it is a good idea for you to have good experience at setting up throttle curves. Just because you fit a governor does not mean that you can just fly without setting up a backup throttle curve.

In addition, getting a governor (in my case a GV-1) set up is far easier once you are competent and comfortable in flying hover, SFF and FFF.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:11 PM
zsultan

What do you guys think about Hobbico Quick Field DC Charger MKII 12 Volt ? Is this a good one?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: zsultan

Hello,

When its windy and when i turn the my raptor 30 in the turns it goes up or goes down depending on the direction of the turn, its normal because the main rotor speed reduces and increases and it has to be compensated by throttle.

One more thing what field charger do you guys recommend? I use a 12 V battery for my starter.
When the wind is blowing the head speed or turning the heli has nothing to do with altitude. When the wind is blowing it changes how fast the air is moving over the rotor the faster the wind the more lift the blades create. So as you move through the air, either with the wind or against the wind it will create more or less lift. A governer will do nothing to help with this, a governer helps keep the engine at a set RPM, and as I stated the rotor speed does not change in the wind the air speed over the rotor changes.

Almost any charger will do the job, but look for one that can charge all types of batterys and can cycle NiCD and NiMH batterys. My personal favorite is the Electrifly Triton avaiable from Tower Hobbies.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML

Old 08-12-2006, 07:16 PM
zsultan

How often do you guys discharge ur batteries completely to avoid memory and also how do u discharge the batteries completely?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
zsultan

How often do you guys discharge ur batteries completely to avoid memory and also how do u discharge the batteries completely?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Depends on what kind of battery and how often you fly.

You never discharge them completely.

They should be run on a cycler every few months though like the accucyle elite or something similar.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:34 PM
zsultan

thanks