Search
Notices

Raptor 30 or Raptor 50??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 PM
bugsysiegals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 or Raptor 50??

I'm going to purchase my first helicopter after Christmas. I plan on spending between $1000-$1500. I'm going to learn the basics on a flight simulator for a month or two and then move on to the real thing.

Eventually I know I will want to do tricks as I get better at flying so I'm wondering if I should start out on the .50 or start out on the .30. I don't know if the .30 can be upgraded to have the same stability, power, handling, and overall durability strength as the .50 and I dont want to buy the .30 and then have it sit in the closet or sell it dirt cheap.

Should I buy the .50 right from the start or go with the .30? Which .50 is better for those who suggest this (Titan vs Pro SE)?

I've been looking at helihobby and heliproz for their combos and custom options. Are these probably the two places that have the best deals on the net?

Lastly, I have been looking on Ebay at some used Futaba transmitters. Would it be advisable to purchase a used transmitter or should I buy brand new?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
mxracerx43

Default RE: Raptor 30 or Raptor 50??

I say go with the 50. You can not go wrong going with the 50, it is more stable than a 30 and when your flying progresses you will not be looking for more power. 30's are very capable flyers I have owned both I started with a 30 then picked up a 50 and the stability is way better. The Titan is the newest kit think of it as a V3, I am purchasing a new Titan this winter, I guess it boils down to what you can get a deal on. Heliproz has some great prices especially on Gyron combos and servos. The Titan has some features other members do not like mainly the push pull that puts your tail servo on the boom sucseptible to crash damage. I think it is a good idea because it eliminates some chances for drag and slop. As far as a used TX make sure you are buying from somone with high and posotive feedback. Also think that a used item may need the battery replaced and compare your savings. I would say for an entry level radio go new and if you are going highend let somone else absorb some of the initial loss LOL.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 PM
HollyRock

Bugsy go with the Titan 50 with the OS Hyper 50. you can't go wrong with that model.
when you start doing 3D all you have to do is upgrade the head. I use stock tail never had any problems.
you will not get the power out of the 30.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
rjm1982

Also, keep in mind that a 50 is a 30 with a few changes..

If you get a 30 to start....upgrading it to a 50 isnt that expensive later. Its about $100 for the hardware changes (tail boom, belt, gear, motor mount, blades) and then the cost of the motor.

If you can afford everything out of the gate with a 50, then go for it, but if you cant, keep that in mind.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
bugsysiegals

Well thats what I was also wondering ... is the 30 the same as the 50 with just the modifications you mentioned or are there other changes that make it unique which you cannot achieve through modification. So basically the 30 can be converted into a 50 and have the same stability and durability. I wasnt sure if the 50 had some parts that might make it stronger in some areas. Thanks for all the information.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM
rjm1982

The 50/30 share almost every part.

The main differences are

Longer tail boom (and belt)
Longer Blades
Different Gears
Different Motor Mount

There a couple of other little things, but they are the same heli really.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question gets asked every few weeks. Without fail the majority of people will say to get a 50. I listened to their advice and purchased a R50V2 as my first heli and am 100% happy that I did so. If money is really tight then get the 30 and you can upgrade later. If money is not so much of an issue then get the 50 straight away.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Raptor Crazy

I'm with everyone else and think you might as well start with a 50. I bought one of the Heliproz Titan combos that came with alot of metal upgrade parts. Since I don't really need them yet for my flying, I'm using all the stock stuff, and when I get better or need crash replacements I already have them. The new Spectrum 7 channel radio has gotten very positive reviews, and is very affordable. Raptortechnique is endorsing it.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
portblock

The Stinger is the same as the Raptor with a metal head, I Have both, Raptor and Stinger, but after the Raptor crashes, I use stinger parts to repair it, lower cost.

http://www.thehelishop.com/rc_heli_p.../GBS50-21.html
Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 AM
ross001

I would say go with the titan 50. A 30 is more a beginners heli, it is capable of 3D but can't do it as easily as a 50.
Maybe later on think about buying a quick UK metal head if you're into 3D.
Also buy a decent gyro: GY401etc.

Ross