Notices

MAIN SHAFT

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAIN SHAFT

How do you check a main shaft after a crash. I recently reassemble a Titan 50 after a crash. Aside from some problems that are already solved, I have a blade noise that starts before hover speed. When checking for tracking it looks like the tracking is ok, but the entire disk is wobbling. I'm not sure how to describe what I see.

I landed and watched it spool down from up close. It looks like the entire head assembly is tilting, (a tiny amount), as it spins. I have replaced the main shaft and will probably be able to test tomorrow.

In rebuilding from the crash the mainshaft was removed and rotated against a straight edge, then laid on a granite countertop and rolled slowly with a light behind it. No obvious warp was noticed.

When held against the new main shaft, (today), I notice a little light between them as the old shaft is rotated. I considered putting in the drill press, but it doesn't seem as perfect as my heli main shaft was before the crash.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:24 PM
lottomunch

Default RE: MAIN SHAFT

I say buy a new one.

I'm not Mr. Moneybags but if there is the slightest doubt its not worth the time playing with a 10 dollar part. Save the old one and if the problem still exists (and you roll it on some glass or use your drill press to prove its straight) then I'd consider using it again.

Daniel
Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Just roll it on glass. If you hear it go tap tap tap its bent.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Flying Geezer

Thanks. I replaced it last night and flew a couple of tanks today. Much better. I should have replaced it after the crash, I already had the shaft.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Crazy Geezer

when i first got my raptor, i didnt even know my shaft was bent!!

i only noticed when i got my kasama head, as it has a head button, i span it with my finger, noticed button was moving from side to side, it was a tiny amount, but being a perfectionist.. it wasnt good enough..... but instead of buying the normal hollow TT shaft, i bought the upgraded solid mainshaft from Quick Uk... BOMBPROOF
Old 07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crazy Geezer
..... but instead of buying the normal hollow TT shaft, i bought the upgraded solid mainshaft from Quick Uk... BOMBPROOF

Are your frames bombproof too? 'Cause you just moved a failure point from "a bend on the mainshaft" to "a break in the frames"

I agree with upgrades that add reliability and performance to your helicopter, but when the upgrade is nothing than a transmission of energy, then I have to draw the line somewhere.

Rafael
Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Flying Geezer

My replacement shaft came from Heliproz and is hollow. I have noticed that the auto rotation gear has about 1/16" to 1/8" of play. Apparntly the hole in the shaft is bigger than the bolt that goes through it.

Is this going to be a problem?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Crazy Geezer

hmm, true say rafael true say, but i dont plan on crashing any time soon the only dislike with raptor 50's is that, there are no carbon frame upgrades, or metal frames or anything... like the trex 600N's and the avant auroras and JR's etc etc