Search
Notices

raptor beginner

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 AM
justheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor beginner

Hi, just started to fly, have got a raptor 30. it seems to spin on its axis as soon as it gets light on its skids. I have tried to correct it, but it then goes bonkers the opposite way. can anyone help?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 AM
tippy

Default RE: raptor beginner

ORIGINAL: justheat

Hi, just started to fly, have got a raptor 30. it seems to spin on its axis as soon as it gets light on its skids. I have tried to correct it, but it then goes bonkers the opposite way. can anyone help?
Sounds like your gyro is reversed. What gyro do you have? Have you verified that the gyro is "commanding" the servo in the right direction?

The heli tail rotor linkage should move foreward for nose right and aft for nose left.

(Electrically) power up the heli. Set gyro to RATE/NORMAL mode. Manually move the nose of the heli to the heli's right (YAW nose right). The gyro should counter this movement by "commanding" more nose left (linkage moves aft). The linkage movement will only occur WHILE you move the heli. The amount of movement will depend on how fast you manually move the heli. If the nose is moved YAW right and the gyro also "commands" YAW right (linkage moves foreward) ... you will get the out of control YAW spinning.

Depending on the gyro model ... there may be a switch on the gyro itself that is called "normal/reverse". Set this switch as required to get the gyro working in the correct direction. If you have a cheaper gyro, it may not have a reversing switch. In this case, you would have to unmount the gyro and flip it over to reverse the command.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM
justheat

the gyro is a CSM Sl420 smart lock gyro.

i am a real beginner and without sounding rude, do not understand the technical talk yet.

Im not even sure that the tail rotorblades are installed the correct way round after i dropped it and snapped the tail boom off?

i would however appreciate basic set up guides from anyone who can help. as mentioned before, i am a real beginner with no experience.

many thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM
justheat

q
Old 09-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Big feet

Hi justheat,
OK, I have only been flying helis for a year so I know where you are coming from re the thchnical talk. Lets see if I can help you a bit.
Gyro's. These fall into two types, RATE and Heading Hold. A RATE gyro will sense the tail moving without the rudder command ( due to a gust of wind) from you and it will move the rudder servo to stop the rotation. The tail stops moving but is no longer in the position that it started.
A Heading Hold (HH) gyro works in the same way except that when it stops the tail moving it then puts the tail back where it was before the gust of wind moved it. This is so fast the tail effectivly remains in a constant heading (heading Hold) until you move the rudder stick.
If you have the direction of movement of the gyro reversed, as stated above by tippy the gyro will be trying to move the tail but actually making the problem worse. Follow tippys advice to see what happens when you hold the model by the head and quickly move the tail left or right. Watch the rudder servo arm and see how it moves.

You gyro is a HH one, I think it has a switch marked REV on it. Read the instructions that came with it to see if this is the direction reverse switch.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 PM
soop7667

Check into http://www.RaptorTechnique.com for many set up Q and A. The set-up guides willhelp you immensely. As for your problem - Tippy's on the right track - your gyro is probably reversed. Theres a dip switch on it somewhere, I'm guessing, taht reverses the action of the servo attached to it. Other than that - you should still check out the linked web site, because if you know nothing, it couldn't hurt ya.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: justheat

the gyro is a CSM Sl420 smart lock gyro.

i am a real beginner and without sounding rude, do not understand the technical talk yet.

Im not even sure that the tail rotorblades are installed the correct way round after i dropped it and snapped the tail boom off?

i would however appreciate basic set up guides from anyone who can help. as mentioned before, i am a real beginner with no experience.

many thanks
As view from the right side of the heli, the tail rotates counter clockwise. When the blades are vertical (one pointing up, one pointing down), the top blade should have the leading edge (blunt edge) face aft or the trailing edge (sharp edge) facing forward. Of course, rotating the rotor 180, the other blade will be the same.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
tippy

justheat:: ... i ... do not understand the technical talk yet ...
Tell us what part(s) of our post you don't understand and we'll try to explain it in beginner terms ...
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I am new to the raptor also. Mine was doing this also, and I found I had a few things wrong. First, I didn't have enough head speed. I am talking about the main blades not spinning fast enough. It was causing my tail to not have enough RPM and not being able to hold the heli.

I corrected this by adjusting my high speed fuel mixture, and pitch/throttle curves.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

A low head speed will make the tail not hold well and make the heli feel real "soggy". You do adjust this by the throttle curve. If the heli spins once it's light on the skids then it is a reversed gyro (99.9% of the time). make sure your blades are on right like Tippy said, also make sure the blades are turning the right direction. If you twist the belt in the boom the wrong way it will make your tail blades spin backwards. The blunt end of the blade is the leading edge and it should go counter clockwise viewing from the right side, or the blade closest to the heli should be going up.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
snapperrr
My Feedback: (2)

oh my lord! justheat, a raptor 30 for learning []
Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM
djrapi30

can any one tell me the factor setting for my raptor 30
Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

ORIGINAL: snapperrr

Whats the problem with that?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 AM
elecfly

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: snapperrr

Whats the problem with that?
yes I would also like to know, Im learning with a raptor 30 now and its recommended by lots of people