Search
Notices

New Raptor 30v2, Houston help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
mbardsley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor 30v2, Houston help

Just bit the bullet, got a Raptor 30v2, OS .37, Hitec Optics, to try this area of flying out. I have been flying RC planes for a few years, and my 15y son wanted to learn the Helicopter. So, we are in the katy tx area, and looking for someone that has experience with this model, to look it over(was a kit), trim it out, and help use learn to start flying it. We are going to put on the FMA Co-Pilot, but am a firm believer in the buddy box, and live instructor. Any help would be great.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts
Default RE: New Raptor 30v2, Houston help

Here's some info for you http://www.raptortechnique.com and http://www.pilotlocator.net
Old 11-22-2007, 10:38 PM
AutoMike

Invest the cost of the co-pilot on a flight sim instead. I've used co-pilots on camera rigs and they do help reduce the workload in that enviroment but, after using them and also based on training others to fly, they really tend to impeed the biginners ability to learn to fly a heli. While its logical at first to think a co-pilot is the ideal gadget to help the beginner, its really just one more thing along with so many others to figure out how to get to work properly and then as you start flying its preventing you from really feeling what the heli needs from you in order to fly it. After all, a co-pilot wont teach you to nose in hover, loop, or roll or even prevent you from just flying into the ground but all this and more can be learned on a flight sim before you even build the heli your intending to fly.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second Mike's reply. I learned on a Sim, then moved to the real thing and had NO problems making the trans. That's a great idea if you already have a PC that will run the Sim of course.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:14 PM
soop7667

but am a firm believer in the buddy box, and live instructor
I've never seen anyone attempt to buddy box a heli, not that it's not been tried, I'm sure someone has, but there's very little time while flying heli's for someone to kit a switch and save your skin. I'd get a sim and practice a whole lot on that first.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

For the most part we make complete newbs learn to hover with a combo of sim training and training sticks. Once you start flying around we buddy box for confidence but as soop said, during initil hovering there isn't much time to bail out a student.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
AutoMike

but there's very little time while flying heli's for someone to kit a switch and save your skin.
No kidding!, however this past summer I gave it a try, training via buddy box right from the start. The way I worked it out is that I'm mimicking the students imputs right along with him but I'm useing the correct imputs and when he makes the wrong imput and its a large enough mistake I feel he cant recover from I just release the T-switch and the proper stick imputs are already in place and the heli recovers right now. This does mean that I'm instructing with a concentration level that has to take into account what I think the student's next reaction or mistake might be but I've worked it out to the point that I'm confident the student wont get away from me but I'm always open to the possablity he could so with that in mind I try to stay a few moves ahead of him. I wont let him struggle with it long at all after a mistake. If he goofs up his next imput must correct the situation or mine will. So far I think I can do this safely but it is quite demanding.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM
shredder777

I agree on the sim. Been flying heli's since march and I been practicing on my clearview sim along with my friend helping me and now I am able to do flips and mild 3D.

I fly the Raptor 30 v2 with OS 37sz-h and a CP Pro. I been flying airplanes for over 20 years. The only weird problem I had was the inverted part. But, after I got the concept of idle up, now it is np..

Good luck and you will have a blast.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:40 PM
savage 40

get the sim.... it will save you and your buddy being buddies!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 AM
telejojo

I just bought one too,the arf with engine (TT) new in box at the LHS big sale for 300.00 I have a Raptor 50 and Trex 600 but just could'nt pass it up.I think it is a very good bird for a newbie................enjoy
Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 PM
mbardsley

Well after weeks of working on it from time to time, and triple checking all items, we got the Co-Pilot on board, calibrated it, and started engine break in. During the 2nd tank, was playing with the throttle, and up she went, especially with some nice 10mph wind, lol. So since the co-pilot is working, started doing simple rudder control movements, and forward motion, with rudder. I can see were the co-pilot is great, but then you become dependant on it, and become a spectator, and dont think the controls through. But it sure does work great, especially being able to dial the sensitivity down via radio.