Search
Notices

How many ch radio needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
stitch1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many ch radio needed?

How many channels would one need for a Titan 50? I am looking to get a new TX and plan to get a Titan 50 this spring. I fly both a CX/2 and a Falcon 3D. I may even get a mini Titan 1st or a T-Rex.... But would like to go nitro sometime this summer. I have been looking at the up coming DX6i and the DX7. I would really like to have one like them that can run all of my helis.. Also I plan to start working my why into planes at some point.. Thank you all for any and all help you provide me!

-Stitch
Old 12-16-2007, 02:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: How many ch radio needed?

If you want to fly nitro don't get anything less than 7 channels.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
stitch1

If you don't mind me asking why? What is use by each channel? I really know nothing about the nitros.. Thanks!!

-Stitch
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM
soop7667

7 Channels -

On a Raptor - The following channels are not in order according to channel.

1 for Throttle
1 for Collective Pitch
1 for Left/Right Cyclic (Aeileron)
1 for Fwd/Rev Cyclic (Elevator)
1 for Rudder/Tail Rotor
1 for Gyro Gain (Optional, some gyros have gain settings on the gyro)
1 for Governor (Optional, some choose not to use a gov.)
Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 PM
calvino

I am currious why you would want to have the gyro gain operated remotely, for trimming or what???
Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 PM
soop7667

I am currious why you would want to have the gyro gain operated remotely, for trimming or what???
For one thing it enables you to switch between Rate mode and Heading Hold mode, and another is that if you're using drastically different head speeds in different modes, you need the ability to adjust the gain on the fly. If you run, for example only, a head speed of 1700 RPM, and your gain being set to 85% has your tail functioning properly, when you switch into a different flight mode, with a head speed of 2100 RPM, your tail could quite possibly wag back and forth pretty hard - you'd need to reduce your gain. My radio adjusts gain depending on what flight mode it is in, so I run a lower gain value with a high head speed and this has my tail finctioning properly with high head speed, and low.

Besides those erally good reasons - Why wouldn't you want to do it by remote? If nothing else, it saves you from having to land, whip out a screw driver, and adjust it manually.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: soop7667

For one thing it enables you to switch between Rate mode and Heading Hold mode, and another is that if you're using drastically different head speeds in different modes, you need the ability to adjust the gain on the fly. If you run, for example only, a head speed of 1700 RPM, and your gain being set to 85% has your tail functioning properly, when you switch into a different flight mode, with a head speed of 2100 RPM, your tail could quite possibly wag back and forth pretty hard - you'd need to reduce your gain. My radio adjusts gain depending on what flight mode it is in, so I run a lower gain value with a high head speed and this has my tail finctioning properly with high head speed, and low.

Besides those erally good reasons - Why wouldn't you want to do it by remote? If nothing else, it saves you from having to land, whip out a screw driver, and adjust it manually.
yeah, and if conditions do change.... man have I got questions
Old 12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
tippy

soop7667: ...
If nothing else, it saves you from having to land, whip out a screw driver, and adjust it manually.
Don't forget ... land, shut the engine off, get the main rotor stopped, whip out a screw driver, and adjust it manually, then start the engine again, go fly.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:14 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: tippy

soop7667: ...
If nothing else, it saves you from having to land, whip out a screw driver, and adjust it manually.
Don't forget ... land, shut the engine off, get the main rotor stopped, whip out a screw driver, and adjust it manually, then start the engine again, go fly.

and by the time you get done, the weather is bad, or someone has your freq....
Old 12-16-2007, 06:39 PM
soop7667

or someone has your freq
This is why I have a Spektrum! As far as weather goes... I was up today with winds gusting to 35mph.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:12 PM
stitch1

So then would the DX7 be a good bet for a TX... Im sure not the best, but how far would it get me?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 AM
soop7667

Dude - I run the DX7 and I love the hell out of it. It's more than adquate for a Nitro or Electric heli, not to mention any plane you'd want to fly. It supports every type of Heli that I know of. You would not be dissappointed!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 AM
stitch1

Ah thank you very much!!! I think there just might have to be a DX7 under my tree!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:59 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: stitch1

Ah thank you very much!!! I think there just might have to be a DX7 under my tree!!!
just be mindful that I hear the servos aren't so great for heli's[], hey, sell them on ebay and use that money for some GOOD servos
Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 AM
soop7667

just be mindful that I hear the servos aren't so great for heli's , hey, sell them on ebay and use that money for some GOOD servos
Correct! There's a site that you can get a DX7 with no servos, and it's a bit less sexpensive. The DS821 servo's that come with heli radio are not suitable for a Raptor - they tend to have a shearing off problem. (They break too easy)
Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM
BarracudaHockey

It's more than adquate for a Nitro or Electric heli, not to mention any plane you'd want to fly. It supports every type of Heli that I know of.
Elevator, Aileron, Pitch, Throttle, Rudder, Gyro, Governor, Lights, & Retracts. Maxed out my 9C

Oh and if you want a good gyro they dont allow you not to connect the remote gain wire or the gyro won't boot correctly such as the case with the 401, 611 etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44009.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	827943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21900.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	827944  
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
stitch1

WOW Thats a Great looking bird!!!! Cute kid too!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: stitch1

WOW Thats a Great looking bird!!!! Cute kid too!
lol, it is almost as big as she is, can I guess, 50 size??? yeah, well, if you have the mula, look into an 8+, for rockets, retracts, megaphone..... (jk), but little aditions down the road would be neat[8D]
Old 12-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

With that rig, maybe two radios and a co-pilot would be a good idea.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
soop7667

Yah - Scale heli's for sure are going to take more channels if you have functioning lights, retracts, or other optional stuff running.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
calvino

Yah - Scale heli's for sure are going to take more channels if you have functioning lights, retracts, or other optional stuff running.
that is my thought as well, you are focused enough on it, the last thing you want to worry about is fliping the correct switch to bring down the retracts....
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 AM
mxracerx43

Hey BH time for a 14mz?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
BarracudaHockey

Trust me I've thought about a 14 or 12fg

I mixed the lights to the retracts so that the strobes and nav lights are on all the time and the landing lights come on when the gear are extended, also throttle hold extends the gear so I dont have to think about switch flipping in an emergency auto.

Its 90 size, Vario Bell 230 fuselage, DNHP mechanics. I ended up selling it, it made my hands shake and mouth dry out every time I flew it and the mechanics would be a chore to get parts for as the one US distributer closed up shop.

Thats my step daughter Taylor, she appears in my reviews from time to time.

Here's a short vid of the test flight if you care about such things... http://www.bladebusters.com/video_viewer.php?id=53
Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Trust me I've thought about a 14 or 12fg

I mixed the lights to the retracts so that the strobes and nav lights are on all the time and the landing lights come on when the gear are extended, also throttle hold extends the gear so I dont have to think about switch flipping in an emergency auto.

Its 90 size, Vario Bell 230 fuselage, DNHP mechanics. I ended up selling it, it made my hands shake and mouth dry out every time I flew it and the mechanics would be a chore to get parts for as the one US distributer closed up shop.

Thats my step daughter Taylor, she appears in my reviews from time to time.

Here's a short vid of the test flight if you care about such things... http://www.bladebusters.com/video_viewer.php?id=53
I do, man, that thing looks NUTS, good idea with the landing gear atached to the throt channel, I would also be TERIFIED to fly something that fancy... get like a 50 and slap on a MD550 shell, that would be awesome[8D]
Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
BarracudaHockey

Thats exactly what I did, its MUCH more relaxing to fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.