My First Nitro !

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My First Nitro !

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

You have a while before you need to worry about replacing bearings.

You won't find many people that ran air filters on heli engines. There's a few, but not many. Most people I know that messed with them didn't like the tinkering they had to endure with the engine.
Yea but i wanted to go ahead and do it while everything in the engine is still loose.

So i have a question tho, I watched the vid on how to replace the bearings at helifreak and he says on the front bearing leave one seal on and remove the other, well i have 4 sets of stainless replacement bearings and i removed the seal on one side of the front bearing and seen that it was packed with grease, Can i still use this bearing ? or should i have left the seal on it ? i have 3 extra front bearings just incase i need to put a complete sealed bearing in. Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

They aren't seals they are shields and that grease is washed away after the first run by the alcohol.

I don't mess with the shields.

Also, the bearing that causes the problem isn't the front bearing, in all the bearings I've changed I've only seen one bad front bearing and it was leaking.

You can use it that way, I wouldn't worry
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Crossfade

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

They aren't seals they are shields and that grease is washed away after the first run by the alcohol.

I don't mess with the shields.

Also, the bearing that causes the problem isn't the front bearing, in all the bearings I've changed I've only seen one bad front bearing and it was leaking.

You can use it that way, I wouldn't worry
Yea i just noticed they were only sheilded looking thru the bearing with the open end facing me i can see daylight thru to the other side around the sheild, want this thing leak ?

I removed the orginal bearing but since it is sealed should i just put it back in ? its smooth rolling, I just got the casing out of the oven and the rear bearing fell out on it's own in the oven, I have the stainless one in it now, The old rear bearing was a lil notchy also after only 1 tank.

So should i just put the old front bearing back in it and forget about it ? or will the stainless front shielded bearing be ok with the inside shield removed.

When i raced go karts when i was younger i built my own 5 horse brigs motors which ran on methanol so i like doing stuff like this anyways.

Thanks BCH
Old 08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If your rear bearing is notchy after one tank of fuel put it back in and send the whole thing to OS.

The front shielded bearing with the rear shield should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 PM
rcjon

>>If your rear bearing is notchy after one tank of fuel put it back in and send the whole thing to OS. <<

Be sure to tell them that the bearing was notchy after you cooked it in the oven and beat it out of the brand new engine. LOL
Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Crossfade

I'm not going thru the trouble of sending it back, Not really worried about it, I have replaced em with stainless and should'nt have anymore problems, Everything was on hold becuz i accidently cracked the piston ring while disasembling the engine, everything is back together now, except i tore the whole heli back down to grease all the bearings since i did'nt have the greaser when i got the heli, 99% of the bearings had no factory grease at all, There was only 1 bearing which was in the tail that forced out a clear grease and i pressed down on the plunger until the red grease came out, I like this Greaser tho this thing is neat.

Now i have to put my raptor back together i needed a break.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 AM
Crossfade

Alrite it's 4:14 am EST and i've got it back together now, I'll see how she does sometime this weekend