Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

Best fuel for TT PRO-36H/39H(both trashed)

Community
Search
Notices

Best fuel for TT PRO-36H/39H(both trashed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
philipev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best fuel for TT PRO-36H/39H(both trashed)

Learning on a Venture 30 with a TT PRO 36H, have been using Wildcat CY30. Have been having trouble tuning, getting hot. Rear bearing went out and locked up engine. Bought a new TT PRO 39HR, got it Monday. Installed and took out Thursday and while adjusting and hovering the engine died. Wouldn't turn over, the crank end of the rod was broken. Ran for about 15 min. total 3 to 5 min. hovering. Had the needle at 3 turns and started and idled good at first. Opened up to about 4 turns to break in, had to trim throttle up to keep idle. Seemed to have plenty of smoke. Talked to Ace Hobby tech and he said he would repair/replace it. When I said what fuel I was using he said their engines (TT) don't like Wildcat CY30. Recommended CoolPower 30. Has anyone else had this problem, if not what should I be looking at that would causing me to trash two motors. Thanks
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM
philipev

Default RE: Best fuel for TT PRO-36H/39H(both trashed)

If you can't tell I am a little frustrated. I don't want to damage the 39H when I get it back. I guess what I am asking is do I really need 30% fuel for learning/sport flying. Also do I need fuel with some caster in it. I have checked the fuel system for blockage. I need to keep the temp down, don't seem to be able to get it too rich at hover speed or above. I hope it is not a problem I am flying a Venture but I am using Thunder Tiger engines and thought this was the best forum to get help with the engines.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:42 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15% is plenty good for learning - Coolpower has worked fine for me. I'm wary of TT engine quality control as I had a 36 a few years ago that only lasted 4 gals. before it lost compression - and pretty much everyone at the field said "no surprise." The OS 32 that replaced it had no problems for many gallons. Just run the engine on the rich side to be safe like you've been doing - you don't need lots of power when learning anyway. Hopefully you'll get a good one this time.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 AM
jez33

hi .
ive used both tt 36 and 39 on just 5% nittro using cheep fuel for years. i think its mostly symfetic but has got 2% castor in it.
my 36 engine is now resting in peace because i didn't change a bearing in time before it blew up and recked the engine but i put loads of uk gallons through it (uk gallons =8 pints and not 6 pints as i believe the USA gallon is).

i find tt engines prefer fuel without thermal reducers in them which some of the more expensive fuels put in for heli engine use. not that i think these fuels are bad to the tt engine its just they run more consistently on the other fuel
if using the cheaper fuels as i do though i would run the engine a tad rich and slowly tweek just incase you make it to week but after a bit of experience in heli tuning its not a big deal..

do keep in mind though that the higher nitro content you use the more your main needle needs to be screwed out so make sure you're not running to hot or week with your current fuel..
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
philipev

Just got back from IRCHA Jamboree. Awesome event. Got a Century Swift RTF (30 size with 2.4 radio) in the give away. Ace got the motor to me on Wednesday in time to get it in the Venture for IRCHA. Switched it over to my 2.4 radio and got help setting it up. Had some trouble adjusting the motor, low power overheating. TT rep from Ace got the motor tweeked in on Cool Power 20%. Flew a full tank no problems so I bought a case. Thanks for all of the input/advice. If you get a chance to go IRCHA Jamboree do it. Awesome pilots and all kinds of help.
Phil
Old 10-14-2008, 03:08 PM
notorious4523

just bought a raptor 30 v2 half way through the first tank of fuel connecting rod in the engine broke. high speed needle was three turns out , fuel cool power heli 20% .when i spoke to my hobby shop he said he could do notthing about that . the same thing has happened to another guy that i know. is there a problem with the engines and how can i get on to thunder tiger.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
raptor fan

i use 15% and it works great.