Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger TG7000 Gyro with Futaba issues....

Community
Search
Notices

Thunder Tiger TG7000 Gyro with Futaba issues....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger TG7000 Gyro with Futaba issues....

Also posted this in the Heli-General thread.

The helicopter folks at Ace Hobbies are away at IRCHA(?) or RCX this week so cannot get an answer there.

Recently purchased the Raptor V2 RTF version choosing to not use the included radio due to frequency issues in my area. In changing out the transmitter/receiver I encountered the following issues:

1. Gyro works fine with included radio (Basically a Hitec Optic 6 Sport with 8 channel Rx).
2 Gyro randomly but rapidly flashes red/green with 9ZAH on PCM (R309DPS Synth Rx) or PPM (R127DF Rx). Servo chatters wildly, does not follow stick movements.
3. Gyro may or may not initialize with Futaba 12FG FASST, 6014 Rx (this may be known low signal voltage issue). With R617 Rx (Tx to 7 channel FASST mode). exhibits same issues as 9ZAH PCM.
4. Gyro with Futaba 7CA FASST Tx with R617 Rx exhibits same issues as 9ZAH PCM.

In all instances the servo works properly when bypassing the Gyro. Rudder/Gyro Tx channel settings according instructions.

Since it works properly in FM/PPM mode I'm guessing it does not like the pulse information from PCM nor FASST.

The fellow I spoke with at Ace Hobbies Customer Service was unfamiliar with this particular issue and the people knowledgable in this area are unavailable this week.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this gyro/servo combo and Futaba systems?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 AM
cossi10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger TG7000 Gyro with Futaba issues....

Hi
I use futaba 401 Gyro or TG 7000 They bought work on Futaba Fasst 10Ch 2.4mhz.....I fly only thunder tiger Helli's... I thing they are really easy.......to install.
I can help you if u want..
Regads Charlie
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Dick T.

Thank you Charlie.

Could you list the rudder channel/gyro channel settings from your 10C?

Also in doing the set up, should I change the end points on the gyro pots to maximum or minimum? Reason for asking, while reading on a another forum about setting up a similar gyro, the poster said to maximize the pots then adjust after endpoints are set in the transmitter. Had not tried this.

There can only be two basic reasons this gyro is not working with my Futaba. One being the setup needs to differ or the gyro is defective in some way.

Thanks,

Dick T.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Dick T.

An email reply from Thunder Tiger proper in Taiwan states the gyro will not work with Futaba systems.

They are working on a fix and suggest using a JR system for the time being. That's nice....go buy another radio to make the gyro work.

Will shelve it until they make it work. Maybe then they will replace it.

So, at this time, if you fly Futaba gear, don't buy Thunder Tiger gyros.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
glover1482

Dick, your experience is similar to mine.  Mine worked fine with my Futaba 9C, but when I switched to a 12FG it would not work.  I swaped the gyro for a 401 (same TT servo), all was well.

My call to ACE was "blown off" as "not their problem".  The support person from A Main Hobbies (where I purchased the gyro/servo)  promised that he would make an attempt to duplicate the issue and get back to me.  But that has not yet happened.  I wanted to use that combo so that I could use my standard airplane RX pack of an unregulated 2S A123... which does work quite well.

Fly safe, Glover

Old 05-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Dick T.

Iposted in another thread my string of events and disappointment trying to work with Ace on the issue. They were little to no help, then stopped communcating altogether.

Either they are not informed by the parent company or don't care. That is why I sent a direct email to Taiwan and received a reply within hours. Iplan on following up with their progress and seeking a replacement or service when the correction is resolved.

Perhaps this is why Raptor helis are almost extinct at most hobby shops I have visited and have disappeared from a lot of mail orders vendors too.

Glad to know it worked with your 9C. It failed with my 14MZ (PCM and 2.4),12FG (2.4), 9ZAH (PCM and PPM) and 7C (PPM, PCM and 2.4).
Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
hobbimaster

I just purchased a Rapter 30 V2 super combo, the included radio right out of the box had an issue getting the TX battery plugged into the little white conector on the board. It would never snap into place, until I removed the back plate to physically make the connection on the board. Anyway, after that experiance I decided to scrap the radio anyway and installed my Futaba 9CHP with spektrum module. I was hesitant at first after reading all the reports of issues with Futaba/TG7000's, but mine seems to work well. I'm using the standard GY settings in my manual and it seems to switch from normal to HH mode, and a test hover has it holding the tail nicely. My thought is that if you use Futaba TX's in PPM mode 72MHz, or the spektrum system all is well with Futaba, seems the TG-7000 doesnt like PCM, and the new 2.4Ghz radios Futaba currently has. I'd love to buy a new TX, just the darn price tag getting in the way!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Dick T.

If it is working, leave it alone.

Mine would not work in PPM mode with a Futaba 7C as well as the other versions I tried. Guess the gyro has varying electronic tolerances, some work, some not.

I've never heard anymore from Ace/Thunder Tiger (USA or China) about an update or exchange so I may list it for sale. It appears to be a good gyro (it's pricy with the servo) but I won't buy any of their electronics from this point on. They obviously care little about making it right in some way.

The radio appears to be a rebadged Hitec Optic 6 Sport so it too is good. However I have taken it to several swap meets with absolute no interest from buyers. Everyone wants 2.4 now. I'll probably just keep it an drop it into a sport plane.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM
hobbimaster

Agreed, the radio is a hitec optic 6. I'll probably just give mine to a friend to get him into flying. Even though my TG7000 seems to work, I have been eyeing up the Futaba GY520 for a possible future purchase, but for now the TG will have to do.