Notices

Raptor30v2 Tail problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 AM
si.cleary1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor30v2 Tail problem

Hi There.

I need help with my raptor 30v2, the tail seems to be twitching alot when hovering and when on groung, what could it be?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Raptor30v2 Tail problem

typically it's the engine  that cause tail twitching, is your engine running smoothly?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 AM
greg_m

gyro mounting - make sure the gyro is propperly mounted on gyro tape = engine vibration will affect gyro operation...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 AM
si.cleary1

Hi there, thanks you so much, ill check that out and let you know how i get on. one other thing, my tail rotors are abit out of track, how do i track them?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 AM
greg_m

wow that sounds odd - from my short experience they cannot be individually adjusted...

something wrong with the contstruction/setup or the rotor blades are warped/twisted/bent??? I have previously read about the linkages being put on the wrong way round...

anyway go to "www.raptortechnique.com" = awsum website for raptors and there is a detailed contruction manual to be found.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 AM
KC36330

out of track tail blades are most often a result of ground strikes that damage the blades and/or bend the output shaft.

just to clarify in the first post you called it twitching, you do mean a horizontal movement Not a vertical oscillation right?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 AM
si.cleary1

Hi there, yes mite try some new tail blades and see ho i go.

as tor the twitching, it moves left and right in a twitching way, also at low revs it seems if the tail belt is catching and almost stall the tail for a second, only a low revs as im about tou rev up, the belt is tight, im not too sure on that one

Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 AM
KC36330

still sounds like your engine is out of tune.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 AM
si.cleary1

ok i think engin is running fine as i had some one tune it up for me but ill double check.

i also have cheched to make sure gyro has no movement and taped down, and its as solid as a rock haha

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM
greg_m

hi - the gyro should not be rock solid = it should have small amount of flexible tape movement = engine vibration affects the gyro

as the engine fires it creates an acceleration which is then picked up by the gyro as unwanted movement = to elimante that the gyro must be "soft mounted" as it were. The propper tape for the job = gyro tape.

I had a similar problem - bought the raptor from someone else = never flown = but he mounted the gyro with tape then superglued the tape???

Anyway I noticed the raptor was unstable with new rich setting running but as the engine was leaned out the smoother running produced less unstable performance. A few days later I changed fuel which upset the engine a bit = rough running and the unstable response was back.

After that I decided to check the gyro it was solid mounted = superglue solid!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
si.cleary1

o ok, i shell get some gyro tape and get it on there like it should be, thanks for the info, im new to this as there is no one around where i live to help me. another question

what would cause the glow plug to come out, my new raptor 30v2 500E spat the glow plug out the other day during flight and had to auto it, could it be the wrong glow plug? think i was using os 8

Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
infernorcteam
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds like the glow plug was not torqued properly. The OS #8 is a good plug. If it keeps falling out, you have an issue with the head...possibly cross threaded and stripped.