RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/thunder-tiger-raptor-30-50-60-90-218/)
-   -   Fingers or Thumbs on the Transmitter? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/thunder-tiger-raptor-30-50-60-90-218/2008721-fingers-thumbs-transmitter.html)

emosolo 07-20-2004 09:24 PM

Fingers or Thumbs on the Transmitter?

Hi,

It was suggested to me by one of the guys at the flying field that I should try flying with the sticks between finger n thumb rather than using my current style which is thumbs only...

Votes n suggestions pls.

Regards
Solo.

Want2BRealPilot 07-20-2004 09:58 PM

RE: Fingers or Thumbs on the Transmitter?

I use the technique of wrapping the index fingers, around the front of the sticks, and thumbs on top. I find this works best, for me, and gives me the best control. Some of the best heli pilots, use the thumbs only technique, so I guess it's a matter of preference. Try it different ways, and see what works best, for you.
Mike

-pkh- 07-20-2004 11:02 PM

Thumbs only!

I've read a couple of places that you have better control with the "pinch" method (using thumbs and index finger), but that seems pretty awkward to me. I saw a photo of a guy (Futaba sales rep, I think) showing off with an inverted hover a few inches off the ground... he was using thumbs only! Plus, with the pinch method, I can't really operate switches or sliders very well. With thumbs only, I hit any switch or slider I want to on my 9CHP while I fly...

aldomontoya 07-21-2004 03:07 AM

I use both to avoid the problem of a thumb slipping off the stick. i have seen this happen before, and having a finger nearby at least avoids a spring back to centre, which is not always clever!

my two pence.

AL

changed 07-21-2004 08:35 AM

Thumbs Only! never had my thumbs slip. tried the other way and don't like it at all!

-pkh- 07-21-2004 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: aldomontoya
I use both to avoid the problem of a thumb slipping off the stick...
My 9CHP has "teeth" on top of the sticks that bite into your thumbs... no chance of slipping off of those! In fact, I still have to get used to them... on occasion I'll land and rub my thumbs to give them a break! I got used to the "teeth" on my USB controller that came with RealFlight G2, but the 9CHP has much more aggressive "teeth" on it's sticks.

dan. 07-22-2004 10:09 AM

i noticed i use finger and thumb for collective/throttle and thumb only for cylic. mine has teeth too, doesnt feel right if i use thumb and finger for both strange!:)

MerlinL14 07-22-2004 10:42 AM

I never even thought about how I was controlling the sticks til I saw an earlier post asking the same question. I use my thumbs, main reason is my hands are not big enough to hold the TX steady and use the pinch method. I dont use a neck strap either as the first time I went to see R/C planes at a club (before committing huge amounts of cash) a pilot had the strap belted by a prop when starting his plane, luckily it (the stap) just spun out of the way, the though of being grabed by the throat and pulled into a spinning prop totaly put me off them.

emosolo 07-22-2004 12:02 PM

Mornin....

Thanks for the response on this one so far guys.... The poll looks pretty even so far....

Regards
Solo.

beavertail 07-22-2004 12:06 PM

Thumbs only, I like to be able to reach the switches easily also.

-pkh- 07-22-2004 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: MerlinL14
...I dont use a neck strap either as the first time I went to see R/C planes at a club (before committing huge amounts of cash) a pilot had the strap belted by a prop when starting his plane, luckily it (the stap) just spun out of the way, the though of being grabed by the throat and pulled into a spinning prop totaly put me off them...
I bought a very nice neck strap for mine... wide, foam, very comfortable... haven't used it yet, either! I find that I don't get tired holding the TX while I fly (flights are only 10-15mins, anyway), and I like to be able to set the TX down and pick it up w/o screwing around with the strap!

aldomontoya 07-23-2004 02:59 AM

i suppose what this forum confirms is that it is all down to personal preference, try it all and see!

Al

grotto2 07-26-2004 01:29 PM

Hmmmm. If you had a small pencil you could attach to the ball of your thumb, could you do as good a job of signing your name?
I vote for thumb and forefinger.
-Ron

-pkh- 07-26-2004 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: grotto2

Hmmmm. If you had a small pencil you could attach to the ball of your thumb, could you do as good a job of signing your name?
I vote for thumb and forefinger.
-Ron
Hey, I've seen a guy play a guitar with his feet... it all depends on how you learn to do it and how much practice you put into it.

Can you sign your name with both hands? Does this really matter?? Is there any relationship between signing your name with a pencil and controlling two joysticks... I say no... :D

FLYBOY 07-27-2004 09:24 AM

I use finger and thumb, but many use just thumb. Use what ever works best for you!

reilly13 07-28-2004 12:38 PM

I learned to fly planks with my thumbs and after getting into heli's I've learned to used the pinch method.
After getting used to it the thumb method feels less secure.
Probably more personal preference than anything.

lesliehowell 08-11-2004 02:11 PM

I used to compete in pattern and I never could get over the top to be more competative. A much better pilot than me came over and said "kid hold your hand out in front of you, and move your thumbs in a straight line left and right, now up and down. You can't do it can you?". Well I started holding my thumb and finger on the stiks and then I surpassed my teacher in competition. You change everything when you change this one function.

Big Edge 08-11-2004 03:45 PM

Learned to fly planks using thumbs and have been doing the same with helis. I was doing flips on the G2sim last night and was having trouble keeping the heli in one spot, so I decided to try the pinch method. It felt strange at first, the feel of the sticks and getting to my switches but I could keep the forward flips going and going. I decided then I was going to change my grip (on the transmitter) and move to the pinch method. My thumbs did not feel fatigued like they did using thumbs.

lawnhawk 08-11-2004 08:16 PM

Thumbs. I have the same grips on top of the sticks that others have mentioned.

I'm sure I could show off a spectacular crash trying it the other way!

tadawson 08-12-2004 01:17 PM

<Somehow got a duplicate - sorry!>

- Tim

tadawson 08-12-2004 01:18 PM

I find I use both, depending what I am doing. For precision moves (hovering, landing, etc.) I feel a LOT more precise with finger and thumb, but when I get upstairs into fast flight, loops, rolls, etc. I tend to go to thumbs, since it is easierrto put in the large control inputs for this type of flight. As such, I voted "other" - you don't have to be exclusively one way or the other!

- Tim

aambrose 08-18-2004 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: reilly13
I learned to fly planks with my thumbs and after getting into heli's I've learned to used the pinch method.
After getting used to it the thumb method feels less secure.
Probably more personal preference than anything.
Same here!!!

ORIGINAL: lesliehowell
I used to compete in pattern and I never could get over the top to be more competative. A much better pilot than me came over and said "kid hold your hand out in front of you, and move your thumbs in a straight line left and right, now up and down. You can't do it can you?". Well I started holding my thumb and finger on the stiks and then I surpassed my teacher in competition. You change everything when you change this one function.
This is my opinion too.

Bottom line...Neither is best. All that matters is what feels best to each individual pilot. :) Try all the combinations and see what works and feels best!

WH 08-22-2004 09:52 PM

LOL I love this post...

I have 100+ people that I taught to fly in the late 70's early 80's. I required all to use their thumbs and index fingers... I was aware that very few could do as well with their thumbs at this time, atleast in my opinion. It all boils down to personal taste. I still feel that the two fingers will be an advantave, but to each is own. I personally buy extended length sticks and use both thumb and index finger. Neither is right, neither is wrong. Just do what comes natrually!

WH

emosolo 08-22-2004 10:17 PM

Mornin.

I think this post is going to be around for a while. I am enjoying the different posts from you guys, thanks for all the "input";)

Regards
Solo.

Dreddi 08-23-2004 11:49 AM

I've been flying fixed-wing for 7 years now and was considered an expert. I had always flown with thumbs. So when I got into rotor-wing, thumbs is where I'm most comfortable. The obvious point is to fly however you're most comfortable.