Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

The Pepsi Challenge for Covering Balsa with LS

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

The Pepsi Challenge for Covering Balsa with LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The Pepsi Challenge for Covering Balsa with LS

CB,
Looks good. What coloring agent did you use? I've experimenting myself with mixing waterbase paint and Z poxy with some interesting results.

Best,
paul
Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Paul,

Iused a color agent made for styrospray. Industrial Polymers carries it.The odd thing is they told me you could not get real deep colors with it because the base of styrospray is white but looking at this, it looks like a dead ringer for missile red monokote which is fine for me.

One thing I noted that I did not see posted anywhere in this thread (or others leading to this one) is that this stuff is very bad toinhale.I felta little odd to my stomach when I started testing the stuff then read the MSDS info on this it. This isnot exactly something you want sitting in your living room curing. I highly suggest using an OSHA mask especially if you spray the stuff.

Works really well... Iplan on finishing a turbine jet with this. As I said, no prime, no sealing, no paint and no monokote!

Andy
Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,
That's what I was thinking as I was impressed on how deep the color looks. Mine doesn't look as good. I might try adding the waterbase paint to some WBPU and see if it affects it in any way. Can't wait to see your finished jet.

paul
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone tested it on open bays with fabric covering like koveral or solortex ?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: lazyace

has anyone tested it on open bays with fabric covering like koveral or solortex ?
read this post 119 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._5/key_/tm.htm
Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 AM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

What amount of this Product is needed for a 1/4 scale size Model with a 80+ inch W.S.?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:30 AM
pshiz

do you guys reckon this stuff would be suitable for finishing a plug before using it to make a fibreglass mould? Sounds like it would save the time and effort of glassing the plug before making the mould.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Yes it will.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Rocketman320

Hello ....... I've read the entire Pepsi Challenge and I thank everyone for their hard work on these two products. Great work everyone. I just have a few questions. I have two Multiplex planes (Fun Cub and Twister) neither of which I believe need the addition of FG cloth. I am looking for a glossy finish. Now that the products are being used quite a bit, I just want to get some updated information.

1. What are builders using to color the product?
2. Is thinning with alcohol, using a foam roller, the preferred application method - any problems?
3. How does it "Gloss UP" out out when wet sanding and 600/1000/1500 grit papers?
4. What is the big difference between LS-2 and Styrospray 1000 - what does everyone prefer?

Thanks and I look forward to sharing my results.

Johnny U.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 AM
CRX Turbines

To be honest here, I was very optimistic about this product when I got it. I tried this on some sample pieces then on a large balsa fairing Imade for a turbine jet project. My original plan was to coat this jet that I am nearly done with. The overall finish for me was not appealing. The whole point of this product in my head was to cover something and get a clean glossy surface. I went over very smooth balsa that was primed prior and all I can tell you is that I was not happy with the results. It is just not any comparison to a urethane enamel or lacquer finishes that I am used to.
For coloring, I used the coloring agent that Industrial Polymers sells. The color agents work very well! As for the plane I started out to cover, I shelved this product and wound up using it on a very large cub scouts project which worked great but I did elect to use a hardened urethane enamel on my plane. This was based on the finish results I got from coating primed and prepped balsa and the length of time this product needs to really cure well enough to sand.

With regard to LS2 and StryroSpray comparison studies,Terry Farmer confirmed through his experiments that LS2 and Styrospray are one in the same.I also phoned Industrial Polymers and they confirmed for me that Wow Planes (LS product) is purchased from them.

ORIGINAL: Rocketman320

Hello ....... I've read the entire Pepsi Challenge and I thank everyone for their hard work on these two products. Great work everyone. I just have a few questions. I have two Multiplex planes (Fun Cub and Twister) neither of which I believe need the addition of FG cloth. I am looking for a glossy finish. Now that the products are being used quite a bit, I just want to get some updated information.

1. What are builders using to color the product?
2. Is thinning with alcohol, using a foam roller, the preferred application method - any problems?
3. How does it "Gloss UP" out out when wet sanding and 600/1000/1500 grit papers?
4. What is the big difference between LS-2 and Styrospray 1000 - what does everyone prefer?

Thanks and I look forward to sharing my results.

Johnny U.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 AM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

The trouble is I don`t think adding color to the product is going to get you a glass smooth mirror finish on a jet that guys like. This product should be used the same way you would if you were glassing a plane. Prep the wood, make sure all hills and valleys are filled in. I am sealing the wood before I paint the stuff on using Behr wood sealer and will let you know how it is. I am doing a warbird so I do not need a glass top finish. But after coating comes a sand with 400 grit to get rid of the shine more or less , prime and then base coat. After prime I will see if further filling is needed.
This stuff is just a coat to cover the wood so you can paint with out glassing. If you need extra strength in areas then I suggest glassing those areas. That is what I did with the center of my wing because I use 1/16 sheeting and I sand it too much. The entire plane is 1/16 sheeting. So also I will see how much of a shell I will get from 2 or 3 coats. NO I`m not worried about weight, its a warbird not a kite.

BTW this is a 80" Stuka scratch built.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to see some pictures of finished airplanes if anyone has any. I'm still curious about this.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Rocketman320

Thanks for the replies. How does one coat of LS compare to .5 oz glass and two coats of wbpu or resin? If much lighter, I can prime and paint as well. If I could color LS, trim in paint, then buff in a shine with 1000+ grit paper, I was hoping to keep the weight down. The bottom line, I want something that is tough, adds some strength, and provides a hard surface that protects from dings and takes the foam look away. Any toughts?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
CRX Turbines

Sounds like you are using this on a foam plane. That is really what the stuff was designed for but someone got the notion to try it over wood. If you are working on foam, you can thin it with a few things but I think only denatured alcohol will work. I seem to recall from talking to Industrial Polymers that you can use toluene, Xylol, Xylene ordentaured alcohol. Obviously toluene, Xyloland Xylene are going to reduce whateverfoam you cover to a mush so alcohol is the only option for thinning.You can spray this if you thin it enough but moisture is akey to curing this stuff and any water absorbed in your alcoholmight cause thisstuff to begin setting upbefore you are ready.

Thanks for the replies. How does one coat of LS compare to .5 oz glass and two coats of wbpu or resin? If much lighter, I can prime and paint as well. If I could color LS, trim in paint, then buff in a shine with 1000+ grit paper, I was hoping to keep the weight down. The bottom line, I want something that is tough, adds some strength, and provides a hard surface that protects from dings and takes the foam look away. Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Rocketman320

That is correct - the Fun Cub and Twister EDF are both of epalar foam. I talked to Industrial Polymers yesterday ans just received a sample of SS 1000 both on foam and plywood - this stuff is hard! I tried buffing it with 1000-8000 wet sand paper but it looks pretty much the same. I think this will be an excellent product for foam planes to toughen them up and provide an excellent paint base. Since I've never glassed an airplane before and have no basis for comparison, is it lighter than glass and resin/wbpu?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
CRX Turbines

You know the weight of fiberglass cloth is going to be a constant. You might also think about poly cloth (the stuff ladies slips are made from) as it is very strong and far lighter than any glass I have seen. Anyway whatever cloth you use remains a constant since you are trying to see what weighs more, meaning fiberglass resin or StryorSpray. I am sure you could probably find the weight and density figures forfiberglass resin somewhere on the netbut I am doubtful you would find anything on StyroSpray so I would take ameasured sample ofboth say 1oz of each material (without cloth)andweigh thetwo whencured.I would be curious to hear which is lighter.

That is correct - the Fun Cub and Twister EDF are both of epalar foam. I talked to Industrial Polymers yesterday ans just received a sample of SS 1000 both on foam and plywood - this stuff is hard! I tried buffing it with 1000-8000 wet sand paper but it looks pretty much the same. I think this will be an excellent product for foam planes to toughen them up and provide an excellent paint base. Since I've never glassed an airplane before and have no basis for comparison, is it lighter than glass and resin/wbpu?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM
tunakuts3d

if you haven't already, you may want to check out the other thread on the warbird forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10419252 several other guys were experimenting with this stuff and I think there is a link to the Wowplanes site that has a video about their stuff. As I recall on the video he applied a thinned out slurry of lite weight spackle to the foam and sanded it smooth then applied the L.S. . Take a look.
paul
Old 04-15-2011, 07:29 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Maybe I missed it..but do you need to (wet)sand this product before priming/painting?

Or does it adhere without sanding?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:58 AM
box car

ORIGINAL: SunnyFlyer09

Maybe I missed it..but do you need to (wet)sand this product before priming/painting?

Or does it adhere without sanding?
You don't have to but if you want a real nice finish it will help.
Ken
Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Rocketman320

What grit of wet sandpaper do you recommend Ken? Also, what method of SS/LS application do you prefer?

Thanks,

Johnny U.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 AM
box car

What grit of wet sandpaper do you recommend Ken? Also, what method of SS/LS application do you prefer?

Thanks,

Johnny U.
I use 300 and 400 and for super fine I use 600, 300 will give you a pretty nice finish. I use a foam bush.
Ken