Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

E-Z Connecters

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

E-Z Connecters

Old 08-02-2003, 03:41 AM
bobbdd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Z Connecters

I hear alot of people say that the E-Z con. are no good, they loosen-up, or what ever. I use them on everything, and at both ends. They are fully adjustable and E-Z to use. I have always said One could wright a book on the art of tightening things. I always hold the body of the E-Z con. with needle nose pliers or something to tighten them, and I'v not had any loosen yet.They are just a piece of hardware, it's all in how you use it .

bobbdd
Old 08-02-2003, 11:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default E-Z Connecters

Personally, I agree. I have used them on planes as big as 120 size, and never had a problem (and some of them are more than ten years old).
Old 08-02-2003, 01:13 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-Z Connecters

I have used them for a long time and the only time they have failed is when the plane does one of those inverted vertical landings.

There are some responces I have read about the EZ connectors that were down right angry about poeple who use them. I use them all of the time. I will take the liottle screw and toss it and use a allen head in its place.

If I know it is going to be a high stress area I will use a Rocket City ball link instead because I hate Z bends.

Dru.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:57 PM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

Default E-Z Connecters

Here's a "me too". I have used them for a dozen years or so without a single failure. Don't understand how some are so adamant that they will fail. Still waiting after all there years.

John
Old 08-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Default EZ Connectors

Well, one man's junk is another man's treasure , as they say.

I've just seen too many airplnes crash with these things, none of them mine. So, what's the trick to keep them tight to the servo arm so they don't wobble around, or is a tight neutral not a biggie. Certainly you don't use them with digital servo's, or do you??? And none of you has ever had a rod slip, or an unexplained trim change??
Old 08-02-2003, 07:07 PM
John Hawkins

Default E-Z Connecters

Thud, I can't imagine finding them in a precision flier's plane - prolly not a hot item at Central Hobbies. Hmmm...... maybe that's why I'm not a precision flier! Yeah, ya gotta keep an eye on them getting sloppy on the pin. Never had one actually slip though. I use clevises often on the servo arms. The wear on the hole is a lot less of a concern than with the EZ ones where they act as a lever on the pin. I find the metal snap helpful in that regard and back it up with a plastic one.

I have to wonder if the great mass of us middle of the pack fliers would benefit much from high precision servos and the very best linkage or would it be wasted on us? Would we get more enjoyment out of flying? I think most just need their stuff to be reliable. For me the EZ's have at least been that. Mostly doing stupid things is my problem.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Thud_Driver

Default E-Z Connecters

Actually, I'm not much on digitals either but do use typical sport servo's in a lot of planes. I'm not talking about being a precision flyer either. I can tell when the control centering isn't right and the trim won't set up right. Sometimes I have let it go but most times I fix it. Usually it's a sloppy or worn servo or a worn hole in the servo arm. I just think you'd be much happier with planes where the centering is the same every time andthat you don't have to compensate all the time for drift in roll or pitch. I don't think it's a waste for middle of the pack fliers. You might find the airplane more comfortable to fly and maybe make you look like a much better flyer.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:15 AM
blvdbuzzard

Default E-Z Connecters

I have had the temps change and cause the covering to wrinkle and cause more trim changes then the EZ connectors. To keep the slop down to a minimum I just replace the plastic washer on the bottom. I have not had a rod slip because I use the allen heads and I can crank down on them.

I use them where I want it to be EZ. I won't use them Oon my Curare, Corsair, Chipmunk(CG), Aeromaster or any of the more aerobatic types. I use the heck out of thm on the trainer types. I have them on my "E" planes. Are they for everyone, NOPE. Some times they do need a little more maintanace, but it is just a look see is all it takes.

Dru.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Combat Addict

Default E-Z Connecters

What I use is a z bend, at one end, then a cleaves at the other. That way works for me(or maybe thats why my planes crash). I can adjust the one end, while the other is not coming off with out taking the servo horn off.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:22 AM
VinceC

Default E-Z Connecters

There are various makes of EZ connectors:-
The plastic ones wobble a lot and look flimsy
The brass type are much firmer ...but
Did you know that Mutiplex make a neat metal one with a nut to fasten it on. That and a drop of cyano must be much better and it also looks a substantial unit.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:21 PM
John Hawkins

Default E-Z Connecters

As far as slop goes the Z bend is hardly an improvement over the EZ connector. They enlarge the hole in the servo arm installing them and wear the hole with use. Compared with the smooth shank of the EZ they are crude and non concentric with the hole to boot. It's true that the EZ's can get sloppy and should be checked regularly though. One solution to this was the rivet type where a tight fitting washer was used and the pin peened over. DuBro used to offer them but I don't see them in their current catalog. A suitable sized washer with the brass ones should work the same. I would consider the EZ and Z low end, Sunday flier set-ups but they work well enough for that use.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Rodney

Default E-Z Connecters

I'm with John Hawkins, the Z bend is the poorest of all connections and the most sloppy. I especially like the EZ connectors for throttle but I modify them slightly; I take out the hold down screw and throw it away. I then tap the hole the wire goes into for 2-56 threads (it is the perfect size to do this) and then just thread in a push rod with a 2-56 threaded end. That way I can adjust the throttle push rod to within a 1/100 an inch by just rotating it a half turn or more.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:43 PM
pinball-RCU

Default E-Z Connecters

I personally use a z-bend at the servo and a clevis at the horn, and it's simple to make, simple to adjust, and with a high quality clevis, pretty reliable.

However, I think the EZ connectors are probably OK, at least for .40 size planes. I always use the steel retaining washers, rather than the plastic. Have you ever tried to get one of those metal washers off? It's very difficult, so I think the chance of coming off in flight is zero. That leaves the chance of the set screw coming loose. If you use the softish push rods they sell at the hobby shop, the set screw will dig itself pretty well into the push rod, and in my experience, they don't come loose. You have to be careful if you make your own pushrods from bicycle spokes or hardware store rod, though, because the steel may be harder, and the set screws may not bite well enough.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:54 AM
glowplug

Default E-Z Connecters

I have EZ connectors on some of my planes, but I use the "FastLink" type connectors with L-bends in the rods more often......although I've never had a problem with an EZ connector (I fly 40 sized planes) One thing that I do is try to flatten the area on the rod where the set screw is to give it more bite on the rod.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Per_N

Default Can anyone post a pic or link

I'm sorry but what is EZ connectors? I'm sure we have them here in Sweden to but we probably called them something else.
Would be nice to understand what you're talking about here.

Regards.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 PM
John Hawkins

Default E-Z Connecters

Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99072_38035.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	56159  
Old 08-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Per_N

Default Aaaah! Thanks

Thanks John. I use them myself for throttle wire only.