Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hinge Tape Tutorial

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hinge Tape Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
flyinsolo11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge Tape Tutorial

Hello,

I am having difficulty with the hinges on my small foamie. Is there a tutorial out there? Did a little searching, but came up empty...

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hinge Tape Tutorial

In the DLG world I use something Blenderm tapefmade by 3M and it can be found in any good medical supply store.  Comes in various widths..  I may be simplifying it but I angle down the surface  a bit being sure to keep the edges touching and place a strip across the top the full length of the hinge line.   On the under side where you usually have an inverted V or groove to allow down movement you fold the surface back over on itself and apply a strip down that side.  Finger pressure is all that's needed to secure it a couple times up and down the length.  Very sticky yet  bendy stuff and rarely needs to be replaced.

http://www.woundcareshop.com/blender...FVZc2godgzYxHg

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you don't want to order 12 rolls Dubro sells the exact same thing in one roll packages it is $5.00 a roll though. works great by the way for hinges on a foamy. I bought mine from woundcare the 12 roll package 1" wide and pretty much have a lifetime supply now. Second way and not as easy way is to cut CA hinges into thirds. cuts slots and glue in place with thin foam safe CA. You still won't have a sealed hinge gap this way and will still need to seal the hinge gap with tape if desired
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gotten the surgical tape at the local pharmacy...never occurred to me to use it for sealing hinges.

I've ironed on clear doculam on the under side of the hinge on scale models so it is almost not visible...seems to work fine.

Jim