Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Harbor Freight Diagnostic Scope Saves the Day

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Harbor Freight Diagnostic Scope Saves the Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Harbor Freight Diagnostic Scope Saves the Day

I am refurbishing a TF GS Corsair I picked up last year. The aileron servos needed replacing and the builder had drilled the ribs and ran a 4 wire cable not a typical extension then soldiered the servo lead to the cable. I cut the servo off then pulled back the cable covering about 2in then cut off 3 of the wires leaving one, bent it in a hook then took the new extension and placed one of the wires in the hook pulling back the others so the thickness of the connection was unchanged. I then covered the splice with heat shrink tubing.

One side pulled through fine but the other side got hung up on a rib and the splice separated. Now I had no way to try and snake a wire or weighted string past the retracts/sheeted wheel well and bent wing. Worst case scenario was to cut into the wing and make a hatch behind the wheel well to pass a new extension. I was able to see into the wing from the flap and aileron servo hatches using a dentist mirror and flashlight.

Then a Harbor Fright flyer came in the mail with the monthly sales and I saw their 2.4in screen diagnostic scope on sale for $69 !! http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-61839.html

I came with an AV line that I ran to a TV, it also came with a mirror, hook and magnet that can be attached to the end. Using the scope I was able to fish a wire into the cavity behind the wheel well and capture it with the hook on the scope then pull it through.

Saved me from having to open the wing.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope demo.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	2131602  

Last edited by Rocketman612; 11-20-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

nice job,,

well it looks the the price went up slightly

a tip when buying from HF in store, or online,,,,,always go to the home page and get the current discount coupon
http://www.harborfreight.com/#

today it's 20%

good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-black-friday-bnr2015a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2131607  
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Rocketman612

Yea HF has multiple coupons at times so you have to do some research. I printed the product info page that gave the price and discount code for it. Brought it with me to the store and they honored it.

Pete
Old 11-29-2015, 03:48 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For similar situations I use a long piece of ball chain. I feed lots of it into an opening in the wing (servo location for example) tip the wing on its end and then keep rocking the wing it around until the chain works its way down to the root, Now I attach it to a string or servo extension and pull it back out of the servo opening.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Rocketman612

Originally Posted by JL1
For similar situations I use a long piece of ball chain. I feed lots of it into an opening in the wing (servo location for example) tip the wing on its end and then keep rocking the wing it around until the chain works its way down to the root, Now I attach it to a string or servo extension and pull it back out of the servo opening.
I've done similar but that would not work here. the builder drilled the ribs and ran a 4 wire cable from the wing center to the aileron bays. the hole diameter was just enough for the cable very tight. For the life of me I don't know why he didn't use the existing rib cutouts to rout the extension.

Anyway the scope saved my Bacon

Maiden the plane this weekend and it was all worth it.

Pete