Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Looking for tips for the disabled. Flying field gear, hints, etc >

Looking for tips for the disabled. Flying field gear, hints, etc

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Looking for tips for the disabled. Flying field gear, hints, etc

Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for tips for the disabled. Flying field gear, hints, etc

Yo! I've poked around here on and off a few years ago and might have posted a time or 2 - I don't remember... But I had to get out of the hobby for a while since life took a turn and got in the way. I'm back, but with limited mobility. I fly sport and a bit of 3d ranging from 48 inchers to 33% scale. My problem is the limited use of my legs which in a few years will be "no" use of the legs so I need some tips for working around these limits. I'm normally more clever but I'm stuck here! What I need are ideas on lighter/compact flight boxes that don't scrimp on usefulness, stands to work from to start and work on planes yet allow easy transport to the ground once running, and just general stuff I should be asking but don't know I need to ask! Working from the ground isn't possible. I currently have my starting/work table on wheels so I can move it to the flight line, but I'm simply open to discussion on the topic as I don't see much about it online. There's a small crowd out there who can benefit from these ideas so toss them out there.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The field a I fly at is wheel chair accessible. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. Dan.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...688944!6m1!1e1
Old 09-15-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ditched the heavy flite box a long time ago and bought a couple of the nylon tool bags you can get at Home Depot and the like. I carry all the tools I need for basic maint at the field. I also made a simple caddy for my fuel bottle( I fly gas) and use a 12v lipo to power the pump. I also converted my starter to run on a 4 cell lipo and carry that strapped to the fuel caddy. There are adjustable height work stands out there just google it. Sorry to here about your recent disability, but applaud your determination not to slow you down.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:01 PM

I'm disabled motorcycle accident my solution was a used gas powered golf cart since electric ones are REALLY HEAVY. Bought two Walmart tractor type lugged tires, a no-no on golf courses, for rear drive wheels. Now I just drive to where I need to with nice cover to keep me in the shade follow modelers will become big fans too. 12 volts via carts battery powered cigarette lighter. A riding mower tow behind trailer and you can carry loads of stuff without breaking a sweat. I adjusted to speed limiter from 12 to 20 mph so to tow sailplanes if needed. One caution your sweetie will soon discover taking out the trash isn't a big deal anymore and children will eye it too. Your wheelchair will replace the golf bags in the rear. Check Craigslist too there is no shortage either since China entered the market so deal. No sale tax in most states for disable use.

$3900 New

$3200 New

Bidding at $2000 at Biltmore GC

Ed
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 AM

Hey I really appreciate the replies! A golf cart is on my todo list provided I EVER get past the SSDI scrutiny. 3.5 years without income so far... (Anyone with ANY advice on how to get RFCs accepted without test results due to a neurological problem not detected by MRIs and EMGs feel free to PM me! An RFC stating "no standing more than 15 minutes, no lifting more than 5 pounds, no stooping, bending, crouching, etc" without this evidence is a white sheet of paper to SSA)

PMs only regarding anything above, thanks.

In the mean time, any more hints regarding work stations, lifting and lowering running planes, and handling in general are welcomed. I've downsized my flight box, switched to "almost" gas only, modded an electric glow pump for gas (not totally safe so don't ask as I won't tell), slapped together an ugly trailer for hauling although I can only carry one ugly bird assembled in it with 2 more wings off, and have wheels on my flight stand so I can move it to the flight line with a plane on it. For now I can still walk just enough to make this work. My future I'll be in a wheel chair and will be looking for mods to do in the mean time, preferably while I'm still somewhat mobile.

Last edited by TexasFlash; 04-10-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good flying buddy or two to help you out is indispensable and is free and comes with the bonus of companionship. I couldn't imagine guys at the field giving a hand.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Ours is a small club with only 3 or so active fliers. One goes overboard to help making me shoo him away which is awkward, but I'm still trying to keep my independence. Help like his will be needed soon enough, I just want to prolong that need. Also there are many days I'd be out alone. Requiring my wife to tag along as a babysitter isn't sitting too well with me.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Rather than a golf cart or gator/rhino, consider a zero turn mower
without the blade deck.

Onboard starter for the large airplanes would be very helpful.
Switch to electric power for the small planes.

On the trailer that carries the cart or mower, add a fold down
or slide out "table." Also add an electric "lift gate" appropriate
to the size of your rc equipment. If your needs are small
you could make it hand powered. Mostly it will raise things
up from the ground to where you can handle them and
then put them back down on the ground again.

If taxiing in the pits is forbidden, as is normal, make a
stick with a large loop of string at the end. Put the loop
around the prop hub and pull the airplane around. Don't
worry about hurting the engine. It pulls the plane around
all the time.

Jenny
Old 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFlash
Yo! I've poked around here on and off a few years ago and might have posted a time or 2 - I don't remember... But I had to get out of the hobby for a while since life took a turn and got in the way. I'm back, but with limited mobility. I fly sport and a bit of 3d ranging from 48 inchers to 33% scale. My problem is the limited use of my legs which in a few years will be "no" use of the legs so I need some tips for working around these limits. I'm normally more clever but I'm stuck here! What I need are ideas on lighter/compact flight boxes that don't scrimp on usefulness, stands to work from to start and work on planes yet allow easy transport to the ground once running, and just general stuff I should be asking but don't know I need to ask! Working from the ground isn't possible. I currently have my starting/work table on wheels so I can move it to the flight line, but I'm simply open to discussion on the topic as I don't see much about it online. There's a small crowd out there who can benefit from these ideas so toss them out there.

You have quite the dilemma. A realistic workable solution might mean some pretty big compromises. I am going to make some assumptions from what you have posted correct me if I am wrong. First consideration is you have had no income for 3.5 years tells me that budget is a major concern though if you can still participate in the hobby you are not destitute.

Your models were what you were flying prior to how disabled you are today and are a concern with how your disability will progress in the near future.

A chair is in your future and though we have tried there is just no way a person in a chair can safely move a running model from an elevated station to the ground. I would cringe every time you would attempt this and heaven forbid a slip when you are out alone or with the wife. I just cannot see putting someone I care for through that.

The only safe way to do this is have a helper start and place the model on the ground for you. Anything in the 1/4 size or bigger is out of the question for you to do it yourself safely.

You have also said you have stooping and bending restrictions so again I would hate to see you hurt yourself trying to be so darn independent.

I am not trying to be negative but I have some experience working with members who because of health problems thought they had to give up the hobby. Sometimes you have to lower your expectations and accept help when it is offered.

Consider electric rather than internal combustion. Most radios have a throttle lock so the motor cannot run when you are handling the plane. No starting equipment needed. Any of the X stands should work they will allow you to tilt the plane to you making battery install easier. Since the engine is not running getting even a 1/4 scale aerobatic model to the ground should be a piece of cake for a determined guy like your self.

All tools and chargers/spare batteries stay in the vehicle until you need them, no unloading except for the models.

Letís consider what will be needed to get to the flight line. Right now with limited walking you may be using one of those 3 or 4 wheel electric carts or an electric wheel chair. Both should operate over grass so simply drop a loop of 1/4 rope over the prop and with the radio on your lap tow the plane to the flight line. Arm and fly. When done lock the throttle loop the rope over the prop and tow back to the pits.

Sell your internal combustion models and convert your stable to electric. Keep it simple and be realistic about the size of model you can comfortable handle and you will spend more time enjoying the hobby. The best part is you will likely not need to invest in any complicated or expensive support equipment and you will be safer without the spinning props.

Good Luck

Dennis
Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with propworn. We have plenty of guys in our club with enough problems to fill a medical journal. Their solutions were electric power and smaller models. It may not be what they desire but it keeps them involved and at the field. Here's a website for our field. All the pits and pilot stations are wheel chair accessible. Dan.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...!4d-117.628963
Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 AM

Now see, TexasFlash, I went thru the same ordeal as you, 3.5 yes. with zero income, & the same rfc bull#&$ too, finally got that, still got fubared, once your unable to put money into the system, you become "undesirable" & they will do everything possible to delay, blah,blah..Until your dead, or give up...That's what I've seen over the past 7 years of trying to get my ssi/ssd.... It is complete chaos..I burned thru what savings we had, sold everything I broke my back earning, pretty miserable, only thing that puts a smile on my face, is building, then trying to get her in the air.. a feeling of accomplishment, ect..Ect...Happy I found this site, & after reading the 50+ thread...Made me laugh & cry at the same time, & the memories flooded in.... Awesome site guys...Jester S1 is very nice too, few members have encouraged me & I feel like , I ran into some old friends again, truly amazing...