Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fast curing silicone

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fast curing silicone

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast curing silicone

This may have been posted before but thought I would share it as it has saved me a lot of money and time. If you want to make silicone couplers or silicone wing saddles or any other silicone product that goes on thick and you want it to cure fast, then by adding a few drops of cheap acrylic paint to the silicone I and mixing well, will allow the silicone to cure in under 1 hour no matter how thick it is applied. The good part is that you can make it any color you want just by adding the color of choice of acrylic paint. I haven't noticed any observable strength issues doing this.

NOTE: It is very important that you use only Silicone I and do not use the low odor Silicone II. I have not had any luck getting the Silicone II to cure after adding the paint, however the Silicone I has never let me down.

I made a mold to make silicone couplers/sleeves with pvc pipes and fittings machined down on the lathe. The silicone does not seem to stick to the pvc so a mold release was not necessary to make these. I am planning on using the silicone couplers on a couple of mousse can muffler setups. The silicone is good for 400 degrees so we will see if it is high temp enough for the job as soon as it gets warmer.

Last edited by flybyjohn; 12-28-2016 at 06:40 AM.