Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Balsa Storage, Part 4

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Balsa Storage, Part 4

Old 12-17-2017, 03:45 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Balsa Storage, Part 4

I've gone through trials and tribulations when it comes to balsa storage. This is my part 4. All the other storage changes have improved one by one but never were quite the best set up. I think this idea may be it. Of course I may be wrong. I've had this old Futon frame stored for a few years. Never could throw it away. I figured it would be useful some day. So I got it out to clean it up and start to disassemble
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	2247974  
Old 12-17-2017, 03:50 PM
ETpilot

This is what I was looking for. Two rails 6’ long with a groove down the middle. I'll need to buy some lumber and see how this works out. Feel free to post how you store your balsa. It may help others with their storage problems.

Views:	96
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2247980  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM
ETpilot

Here is where I am at in my project. I made 3 T cross members. They are even with the top of the 2 rails. I will add a cross piece as pictured to make 4 rectangles. Then add 4 angle pieces in each corner to keep the frame square. This will be topped off with hardboard, plywood or maybe a sheet of foam that I have.

Then I will hang it from the ceiling in a free corner of my garage. I will tie it onto the ceiling joist above. So good holding power. I plan to allow for a second deck should I ever need one. Partitions will be used to separate the different balsa pieces. Frame is 46” wide. So 48” stock will stick out 2 inches. The 36” stock will have a stop block so it too will stick out 2 inches.

I think it should work good. Much better than what I have now.

Views:	53
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	2248203  
Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just store mine on a rolling cart so I can move it out of the way. It is not on the top shelf. It would be nicer on the ceiling, but the basement has low ceilings and I am pretty tall. I wish I could store some planes up there too.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM
ETpilot

Aspeed, balsa storage has been a problem for me. I started working from the cardboard boxes that the balsa was shipped in. A real pain. It got a bit better as I tried different storage ideas. This one may be best. I can separate the different pieces and have easy access.

I glued and screwed the cross pieces. The frame came out square without any need for adjustment. Coming along great. I'll post a final picture when finished.

Today I dismantled my first starting bench/working station. It served me well but was too small for the size models I am now building. I built another which is pictured under the storage frame. That one is larger and will serve all my needs for now.

Airplane storage is another problem. I have them scattered all over. My current build may be it for a while. Problem is I like to build.

Views:	59
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2248311  
Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM
ETpilot

I haven't worked on the storage rack since last post. I've been working on a build which has taken my free time. I've had this rack on the floor of my shop. I didn't want to move it until I put in the corner braces. So I've been stepping over it all this time. Any way I installed the corner bracing, drilled some wooden blocks that I will bolt to each corner. Using threaded rod I'll hang this in the garage.

Views:	51
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2251818