Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rattle Can Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rattle Can Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:12 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rattle Can Paint

Wondering where the good sources for fuel proof paint are these days. Krylon is available locally, but not sure it would be fuel proof. Any advice on rattle can paint advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:38 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The paint itself is not affected by fuel but use a fuel proof primer like Lusterkote to protect you plane. And I use Rustoleum, not Krylon.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I have not found Rustoleum to be fuel proof. IMO we no longer have any fuel proof pain in a spray can available. Lusterkote was the last to go. The old Pactra Fourmula U was good as was the Coverite 21st Century paints. Not sure if they would be available or shipping would be cost prohibitive in your location but there is a product that goes under the name of Spray Maxx that is a 2K spray paint. There is a small cartridge of catalyst at the bottom of the can that gets mixed in with the paint at time of use. Once mixed you have approx 48 hours to use.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 PM
thailazer

Speedracerntrixie... That is what I feared. I have some 2 part epoxy paints that I can brush on, but was hoping to do a quick spray from a rattle can on a project. Not sure I want to invest in a compressed air spray rig but that might be the only way to get a good fuel proof finish.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:46 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Paint cost is something that I am always evaluating. The cost of primer, paint and all the other things that accompany a good paint job do add up quickly. It all comes down to your expectations. Unfortunately I get way too OCD when it comes to painting. Even though I have developed a system that is as inexpensive as I can find while still giving the quality I desire, I can still end up spending up to 300.00 in painting materials for what I would call a mid sized airplane. A trip to Harbor Freight will get you a compressor, spray gun and some accessories for about the same 300.00. The good thing is that when you buy a spray can of Rustoleum for 5.00, it will take 6 cans to cover the same as one quart of Duplicolor Lacquer. The airplane shown has a fiberglass fuselage and balsa sheeted foam wings/tail that have been glassed with 3/4oz cloth using epoxy laminating resin. The glassed parts were then sprayed with Klass Kote primer to fill the glass weave/low spots. After primer the entire airplane was sprayed with Duplicolor lacquer white base and then colors were applied using Duplicolor Lacquer as well. The airplane was then shot with an automotive urethane clear.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:02 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got away from rattle cans when I was a teenager and painted my car with them. It didn't take long to recover the cost of paint, and that was when rattle cans were just over a dollar. Now they seem to be $7 thanks to the VOC rules. Now everything really needs to be a water base, which unfortunately is what methanol seems to be a solvent for. Even a small Harbor Freight compressor with a little tank and a touchup gun would be good enough for a plane for maybe $100. I got a 2 hp compressor, 35 years ago and never looked back. I oil spray three or 4 cars a year, paint cars, motorcycles, garden furniture, use the air hose to clean the shop, and planes. The air chisel gun is cheap, and cuts through sheet metal very fast with no chips and the scaler cleans rust from most structural steel quicker than anything else. Great investment over the years. Just oil spraying one car is $80 now, so the cost is really negligible over time. I find cleaning the guns easier than brushes as well, except for the Pasche airbrush with the extra needles. The automotive 2 part paints work well, but maybe are a bit pricey. Just a clear coat is good enough though for models.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:56 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Was just on the same search - found that my TX with the fancy custom "carbon fiber" paint job was not even mildly fuel proof, so needed something that was. Overcoating with Krylon clear did nothing to improve it.
Lusterkote is gone...except perhaps a few cans of white knocking around.
Only alternatives seem to be Klass Kote or this one, which used to be what Nelson Hobbies sold: https://www.systemthree.com/ But shipping for the small 4oz containers is as much as the paint!
Likely you can still find good old dope around, also.

I won one of these at a club raffle, that allows you to turn any paint into a "rattle can" equivalent: https://preval.com/diy-pro-products/preval-sprayer/
Mine is still in the box, so no idea how well or poorly it works.

I settled on Rust-Oleum engine paint in the can - not the super high heat version, but the one that is supposed to be gasoline proof. But that seems to be only available in red or black. Fingers crossed that it works.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 AM
aspeed

I have often wondered about the epoxy for garage floors. I tested a bit on a foam flutterboard to see if it attacked the foam, and it seemed ok and fairly strong with the cloth. There is a fairly expensive clear coat floor epoxy too. It costs about the same as an automotive clear though, so I didn't want to splurge on that. That wouldn't be a rattle can option without thinning, but most of the floor epoxies are water cleanup now. I would not want to waste the spray can above when it costs $10 + shipping, when it is an experiment.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want truly fuel proof clear, step up to automotive clear. Duplicolor sells a reasonably priced automotive clear lacquer that is available in places like Advance Auto. It's ready to spray out of the can, but you will need some sort of spray equipment. I have used the Preval sprayers to apply urethane base, but never tried it with this particular product.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...kRyCBD5nBpM%3D

If you want the ultimate in durability, then an automotive 2 part urethane clear is in order. They are available in a convenient one time use rattle can from an automotive paint supplier for around $20. Be aware that 2K urethanes contain isocyantes and need to be used with great care. At a minimum you should spray outdoors with a cartridge type respirator.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:49 AM
thailazer

Hemikiller...... Yes, good idea and worth considering. I painted a pattern ship years ago (when I had a compressor) with Imron and that was one incredible finish. For now I've decided to just use the common rattle can and brush on thinned Ezpoxy over the top of it.

Edit: Looking at Craigslist, lots of compressors for sale for around 50 bucks.

Last edited by thailazer; 08-11-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I fly electric I don't worry about fuel proofing but..... I find the Krylon paints to be a bit dull even with the gloss. I painted an RC boat with Fusion, waited a week then covered it with the clear version, leveled and polished to a nice gloss.
Now I'm discovering Rustoleum as it has a much better gloss and a more consistent coverage and a harder finish. Just let it cure for a week or so.
At this point I can't justify the money for Klass Kote or custom mixed paints.
Haven't tried Sig colored dope yet.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:20 AM
r ward

it's worth the few extra dollars to go to NAPA and get their auto paints in a rattle can. set the can in hot tap water for several minutes before spraying. the higher temp makes the can have more pressure and it sprays better. this works for any rattle can paint, as well.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:37 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
I got away from rattle cans when I was a teenager
Great posting. One of those, once you go there, you cannot imagine why everyone cannot see this
Old 09-08-2018, 05:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
Great posting. One of those, once you go there, you cannot imagine why everyone cannot see this
What experience do you have with this ? You say that you have been out of the hobby for decades. How do you know what works ?

Even if you can't get a good finish from an aerosol, that doesn't mean that others can't.

The question that you posted about using a house spray painting unit to paint models illustrates a lack of comprehension of the products and equipment used in our hobby. Posting from experience is fine. Posting on conjecture cam easily lead others down the wrong path.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
The question that you posted about using a house spray painting unit to paint models illustrates a lack of comprehension of the products and equipment used in our hobby.
I know zero about spray systems but I am learning.

I do make mistakes. I am certainly an amateur. I am not online to offer professional advice. I do offer my thoughts as everyone is free to do. I do notice when someone is wrong or mistaken and I just move on to the more knowledgeable
There was a time in my life when I was a rattle can fanatic. Yes I won model contests. I am still using rattle cans and always will. I have zero experience with spray guns. I am looking and learning about spray systems. I do have a small Paasche system that I think I will expand. At the moment I am focused on a compressor and large tank on wheels + gun.
I have rattle cans in the house and have a model paint job planned this afternoon. I started with rattle cans 55yrs ago. I will always use rattle cans regardless of any pressure tank spray systems I may own in the future.
I am the type that delays my first experience with things but once I try them and like them I wonder why I delayed starting. When I am in one of my boats on the ocean or scuba diving offshore on a sunken WWII German U-boat, I wonder why I waited so long?

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 09-08-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I painted a plane with flat Behr latex paint and then clear coated it with Systems 3 WRLPU. I had to experiment a little with the latex to get the thinning right so it wouldn't show brush marks, but it works. I gave it a very light sanding after letting it dry for a couple of weeks (important to do) and then brushed on the S3. It also is particular about thinning- about 60/40 paint to water worked for me. The finish is super hard and is fuel proof if you use their crosslinker. I put a thick coat on because I wanted to cut and buff it, but it will flow out nicely if it's thinned right too.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:23 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Its a real bummer that all the glow fuel paints and clear coats have disappeared. For a gasser, I've used Rustoleum with success. My Nieuport 28 and Mr. Mulligan both have Rustoleum on them and I have no issues at all with gas doing anything to it. The problem is you use standard colors. The Mulligan is all white - the Nieuport is camoflauge so the flat colors they had worked just fine. Where the paint sort of works with the plane you can do that. But when you want a particular color, Rustoleum doesn't work. Or if you want to match Monokote.

I really miss Nelson paints. I can't say enough good about them. But you can still by paint from System 3 paints in their standard colors. Two of them are Clear Gloss and Clear Flat. So my next paint job will be with a custom mixed latex paint to the color I want with a System 3 clear coat.

The other option for painting is good old Dope. I remember brushing it on in my parents basement some 60 years ago and it still works today. The only downside is the odor which can be harmful if you don't take proper precautions. I painted a 1/3 Spacewalker 25 plus years ago and it sill looks like new.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Krk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray paint

How about Preval system with Klass Kote?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 AM
aspeed

Preval looks like a good option. Just remember it is $12 to get started, and $8 for a refill, plus a trip, or waiting for another bottle to come in the mail... I used something similar when I got my first airbrush with a propellant can. It would freeze up and stop working, and emptied out before the job was done. I have never made large planes either. As I said, a cheap compressor and you will never look back. Something with a tank on is best. I eventually got a 2 hp one, as I use it for painting cars and use air tools, blow out the sprinkler system etc. A Harbor Freight type $100 or less one will suit model use though. Look for sales, use a coupon and check Cu Ft /min rating of the sprayer and compressor size needed.