Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

'Scale' louvres anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

'Scale' louvres anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Scale' louvres anyone?

Went to Lowe's and found the smallest soffit vent with louvres, but the louvred section was too wide-about 4" each. Anyone found any premade aluminum ones smaller? I need some about 2 1/2" wide for an intake and really dont want to try and make them.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:01 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 'Scale' louvres anyone?

I've never made louvers, but have a project coming up that will require them. The ways I've seen it done (how-to's in magazines) was a punch and die setup using soft aluminum. Either that or using a male mold to make a bunch of louvers from fiberglass.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:09 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 'Scale' louvres anyone?

Used to make louvres in balsa cowls by determining the area needed, cutting it out and gluing small thin strips of hardwood at an angle in the opening. Not to worry about making them flush as a final sanding will take care of that. They looked quite good and were as efficient as any others. If your cowl is plastic you can do the same thing if you take a little time and use MEK for the plastic welder. Small delicate work but worth it. If you paint the inside flat black it will enhance the appearance.