Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hanger Rash

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger Rash

After getting a Nexstar as an early Christmas present, I soon realized that the plane was going to get a severe case of 'hanger rash' before I ever got it up in the air! The Northeast weather has not been suitable for learning to fly, so I put my time to good use to protect my new addiction.

I posted this in Q&A . . . Probably should go here.

I looked at the various suppliers of wing bags, and decided I was not going to spend nearly $100 protecting just half of my plane. I went down to the local fabric store, bought 3 yards of fleece, 3 yards of canvas, and a good pair of scissors ($18).

$66.78 and about 6 hours later, I have a great wing bag and a matching 'fuse bag' for the plane. Now I am by no means a master of the sewing machine, in fact I don't think I ever used one before, but a little bit of planning, and some t-pins let me shape a custom fit protective cover in matching red in no time at all. By the end of the project, I was sewing like a pro, learning a few tricks to make life easier.

A few tips I learned:

OVERSIZE! Be very loose with your measurements. It always seems to end up smaller than what you plan.
ALLOW FOR SEAMS. I figured out that at least 1/2!QUOT! is needed.
PIN EVERYTHING. There is no way you can hold the right shape. (Not me at least!)

Oh yeah, and keep your fingers away from the pointy part! OUCH!

So when the weather prevents you from flying, and you have nothing left to build, take a trip down to the fabric store. You'll be able to make what you want, exactly how you think it should be, and save yourself some HUGE $$. The money I saved is going for a radio upgrade!

Pictures to follow soon, as soon as I can find my @&$%* USB cable.

Fletch
AMA 796990