Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Skyriter smoke pumps >

Skyriter smoke pumps

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Skyriter smoke pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyriter smoke pumps

I cant seem to get my pump to stay primed. I also turned it down to eliminate using oil to fast and I still cant keep it primed. Is there a trick to this or what?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:48 AM
Banned

Default RE: Skyriter smoke pumps

Got a check valve in the line between the pump and the muffler? That SHOULD prevent you losing the prime.

If desperate... you can T the smoke tank vent to the muffler pressure line and thus presurize the tank. This may cause the fluid to keep flowing with the pump off though... and can require you to add a valve to positively shut off the oil.

Some of the pumps, you can use a battery pack with a higher number of cells to help the pump overcome the muffler pressure. With my TME system I had to go to a 5 cell back for the pump (separate pack fromthe RX power) in order to get reliable smoke oil flow at full throttle. (O. S. .91 FS II Surpass with older version .70-90 FS, pre-surpass, muffler. The smaller muffler and exhaust outlet give higher backpressure to deal with.)
Old 04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you contact Sullivan, they will send you an updated manual showing the right way of plumbing your pump.
They also recommend higher voltage, or 8.4 - 9.6 Volt battery.
Mine is set up that way and doesn't miss a beat
Old 04-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Banned

I've lost the instructions on my TME system... I do remember its rated for 4 cell to at least 8 cell packs to power it. Choosing the pack voltage is a method of helping to regulate the flow (and that cheezy squeeze the line "metering valve" needs all the help it can get.... like replacement with a remote needle assembly.)
Old 04-29-2004, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I do have a check valve between the pump and the exaust. Maybe I have a leak letting air into the lines. I will check this. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I waked into a conversation going on at Toledo about the early versions of the Skyriter pumps having problems. I mentioned I had one NIB and could I send it back for the update and they said yes. I haven'yt tried to send mine back but I would recomend that you contact the MFG and see if they have any updates or what ever to make you a happy repeat customer.
Sparky