Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Ideas for a work Bench >

Ideas for a work Bench

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ideas for a work Bench

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for a work Bench

Hey guy's I'm looking to set myself up to build my first kit, and i am sure it wont be my last, so i want to build the bench right the first time, if you could post a pic of yours if you have any, and materials used for the top or make suggestions....... or if there are plans available here from previous post it would help tremendously..........thanks BILL
Old 05-12-2004, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Ideas for a work Bench

Sorry no plans for you. From my experience I have a work bench (recycled counter from a bank demolition the drawers are really handy) that has my drill press and scroll say bolted to it, this is along one wall. I also have an old desk in the centre of the workshop (so I can walk around all sides) with a sheet of gyprock ( I think you yanks call it dry wall) covering the top so I can pin through it.

I use the desk for most building tasks (covering is easier when you can walk around rather than move the model) and the bench to store assemblies as they are gluing and for cutting. I guess what I am saying is consider the layout before you build.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I've gone to my local Home Depot or Lowes, purchased 2 pre-made cabinets and placed a door on top between them. Makes for a strong and level building surface. You can use ceiling tile board or sheetrock for pinning balsa during building. But then I also have a center table that I can walk completely around for assembly and any other things I need to do to my planes. I would highly suggest a walk around table of some sorts.

JR Gautreaux
Old 05-13-2004, 09:19 AM

Do a search on workbenches and building boards.
These subjects have been discussed enough to create a book.
KW_Counter
Old 05-13-2004, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have two benches in my shop. If you have room for two, I highly recommend this setup. The first is bolted to the basement wall, and as such, is sturdy as a rock (A good place to clamp a vise, or do any serious pounding/bending, etc.)

The second is a free-standing frame with a solid core door as a top for building. The advantage here, is that you have 360 degree access to the table (and whatever you're building)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19220.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	131934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63623.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	131935  
Old 05-13-2004, 10:25 AM

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Let%27s_see_your_work_shop%21/m_1350936/tm.htm]Here[/link]'s a thread that's been going in this forum for a while. Lot's of shop pics and discussion.