Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Removing dried glue from CA caps/lids

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Removing dried glue from CA caps/lids

Old 05-27-2004, 11:57 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing dried glue from CA caps/lids

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to use up about 2-3 lids and caps per 2oz bottle of CA be it thick or thin. I usually have 2-3 extra ones laying around that are caked with dried glue and no longer useable.

I learned at a fly in (from Gordo-Outlaw) that soaking the caps/lids in a jar of acetone removes all the glue. Just plain ole Acetone... it eats the glue but not the plastic. I came home, soaked a few for a couple of days and other than the exacto scratches from trying to clean them off previously, they look brand new! I know they aren't that expensive, but it's nice to be able to recycle them instead of tossing them after every build. Try it, it really works!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Removing dried glue from CA caps/lids

What I reall like is the cool residue left in the jar after the acetone has evaporated. But then, I guess I'm easily amused.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:29 AM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Yep, I do the same thing! It really works well. I always keep a few caps soaking in the jar so they are always ready for me. When one clogs, I just pull out a clean one and toss the clogged one back in the jar.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:39 AM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

LoL,I was tickled to death to find out that something would even do that. I had considered soaking them in debonder, but that would be quite expensive. I had never heard of using acetone...
Old 05-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Another trick in the use of CA is to glue a 3"X3" piece of scrap plywood to the bottom of the bottle , this larger base stops it from tipping over.