Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

HPLV Paint system

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

HPLV Paint system

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 10:53 PM
rudderbug-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPLV Paint system

I have just traded for a Campbell Hausfied HPLV paint system.
Have not received yet, due any day. Anyone have an opinion on using auto paint, (acrylics, enamel, etc.), with this system ?
Mixing, etc. Is anyone using this type system now ?
I need to get away from MonoKote, as I am going to scale.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 01:42 PM
BingoFlyer

I haven't used this system for modeling yet but have used it using polyurethane varnish to finish the trim in my house. It worked great for that and very little over spray.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:03 AM
GC Flyer-RCU

Hi-
You should be fine with that rig. I have one similar, from Wagner. The main thing is to thin the paint to the proper viscosity. A good rule of thumb is one drop a second of paint off the corner edge of a stir stick for 5 consecutive seconds. This will get you in the ball park as far as viscosity.
The other thing is to clean it out real well after every use. Flush it with the proper thinner and then wipe down the gun.
Also, don't let the paint get into the air intake. If you have a filter there, clean it out periodically.
I also have some rigs ( OK, I am the factory rep ! ) from Capspray. Great commercial rig, but a little overkill for hobby use. However, we have our HVLP training manual online at http://www.spraytechinc.com/training.html
It could be of some help.
Good Luck!