Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Is Rust-oleum fuel proof? >

Is Rust-oleum fuel proof?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Is Rust-oleum fuel proof?

Old 07-29-2002, 01:04 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Rust-oleum fuel proof?

I painted a plane with rust-oleum, and somewhere I read that Min-wax water based Polycrylic was fuel proof....NOT!!! This was an electric scratch built, turned glow, and now this stuff is slimmy. I repainted it, and I heard rust-oleum was fuel proof too. Do I need to fuel proof it? If so, with what?
Old 07-29-2002, 02:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Rustoleum

Rustoleum primary colors are fuel proof up to about 20% nitro. The primarys are like gloss and flat black, Sunrise Red, Golden(?) yellow, etc. I think these are their "Hardhat" colors. The pastels and metallics are most definitely NOT fuel proof. Clear is also NOT fuelproof.

Like you I also found out that water-based poly is not fuelproof, and unfortunately nothing seems to take it off but sandpaper! Fuel makes it sticky and a little rubbery but it still doesn't come off.

On the other hand, Nelson Hobby's water-based epoxy is very fuel proof when the cross-linker is used. I've spilled 30% Heli fuel on my pattern ship's fuse that's painted with it and left it for a while with no ill effects.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:10 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the info....I used dark red, so I will try without fuel proofing it. It didn't seem to attack the paint, just the clear coat.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used red, white, black, yellow with no troubles at all over the long term with 15% and 20%. I DID have a problem with grey in that it was only 2 days dry when I fueled up, found a tank leak. The grey wiped right off. On my corsair I used it to feather into the blue topside. Let it cure for a couple of weeks, no problem. Just had to give it time. I've also used red and blue with 40% on a 1/2a that held up pretty well, but its only had a gallon thru it so far. Might not do so well on the long term. My 1/2a planes dont normally last that long anyway.
Edwin
Old 12-31-2002, 04:54 AM

Hello Pilots
Do you think Basecote clearcot car paint is fuelproof
Old 12-31-2002, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do have to give the rustoleum time to cure, at least two days/ preferably a week or more.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:49 PM

The problem was the Minwax Polycrylic. That stuff just turns to goo all by itself. It is not a fuel problem. I had it go gooey on a glider. I use Varathane water based poly urethane over all my paint jobs to fuelproof. Rustoleum is fine but it takes a long time to harden an even then is a soft finish.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:27 AM

Do you guys know of any other off the shelf fuel proof paints? I have used rustoleum in the past but found it took too long to dry.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:06 PM

Default fuel proof

Hydroguy,Red Devil Poly paint is fuel proof but hard to find in some areas.Rustoleum clear is fuel proof IF you let it set-up and
the solvents evaporate off.I've used Rustoleum and Red Devil on
nitro boats for years and never had a problem with them lifting
even with 45% nitro in a rigger.You must let them dry beteen coats,it takes a lot of time,but its a nice finish

The Butchman,just my nickels worth!!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:19 PM

Default Auto Paints

Automotive paints are fuel proof and dry quickly. Tehy come in more colors than you can ever need also.

The DiBo :thumbup:
Old 01-16-2003, 08:24 PM

Default How about Krylon?

Since this thread is about fuel proof paints, I was wondering if anyone knew if Krylon paints are fuel proof.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:51 PM

Default fuel proof

I tried Krylon once,it did'nt work,the fuel made it gooey and slimey
but it was with 25% nitro.I would'nt risk it.

The Butchman
Old 01-16-2003, 11:16 PM

I was wondering about Krylon too.... as it dries very fast!
I am glad to hear that automotive paint is fuel proof! They have such a great choice of colors. I have five boats to paint this winter and I thought I was goint to break the bank on fuel proof paint fron the hobbie store!
I painted my electric rescue boat with rustoleum last year and always wondered why the nitro diden't ruin it. Now I know! I was planning to sand and repaint it with fuel proof paint! Thanks for the info!