Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Spinner Screw

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Spinner Screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 07:29 PM
kqutob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner Screw

The screw on my 3.5" aluminum spinner has given up the ghost. I've been struggling all day to take it out unsuccessfuly. Is there a way to do it w/o losing the spinner???
Old 09-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spinner Screw

There are several ways to attempt this removal.
1. With a dremel and a diamond pointed grinding tip (or several) try to grind the center of the Allen head screw away, so nothing retains the spinner and you slide it off & grab the stub with a visegrip.
2. With a grinder, then a drill, you carefully grind the center away from the slotted screw, until nothing holds the spinner, and then as above, you slide the spinner off and grab the screw stub with a vise grip.
3. With an EDM machine, you Electric Discharge Machine the center of the screw head away, and do as above with the screw stub.
4. With a tack welder, you weld some nichrome strip to the screw head, and twist the nichrome, or jam it down into the slot (or Allen wrench hole) & twist.
5. With a cutting torch, you blow away the screw. Unfortunately, this blows away a bunch of spinner, too. Don't try that unless you don't care about the spinner.
6. With a left hand drill bit, you drill the head off the spinner, and if you're lucky, the bit catches and unscrews it before the head is drilled off.

However, there's still a big chance that you'll lose the spinner.
Good luck!
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: kqutob

The screw on my 3.5" aluminum spinner has given up the ghost. I've been struggling all day to take it out unsuccessfuly. Is there a way to do it w/o losing the spinner???
Old 09-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Balsa Master

try using a dremel and cut off wheel to grind in a strait line accross the screw head. then you can sue a flat screwdriver to torque it out... if it wont budge, clamp on yoru vice grips to the screwdriver and let it knwo whos boss... (never used this on spinner b4 but have used in past on stripepd screws) id try this first before you get drastic and bust otu the arc welder
Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You could try to JB-Weld an old allen wrench in the end of it. Then after it dries apply outward pressure while unscrewing it.

David
Old 09-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

This is a good idea, I will try this one.
I have an adapter with a screw in it.
ORIGINAL: daveopam

You could try to JB-Weld an old allen wrench in the end of it. Then after it dries apply outward pressure while unscrewing it.

David
Old 10-01-2004, 06:53 AM
ZM2000
My Feedback: (1)

Once I tried all above methods, failed, and finally drilled the head off.

-ZM
Old 10-01-2004, 08:04 AM
davej78

May be that the tip of the allen key has become worn enough to let it slip in tha socket, if so cut it off with dremel and try with nice new fullsize tip!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:53 AM
davidmor

If it is an allen socket screw that has rounded out, try getting a star tip screwdriver a hair bigger than the allen size, tap it into the hole and turn. Taping it in (gently yet firmly if you understand what I am saying) will cut a small edge in the screw head for the star tip to grab onto. I have had success with this method several times if the hole isn't completely round yet. You might also try a small easy-out in the center hole. No bets on that though as the hole is going to be pretty shallow and the metal will be hard.

If nothing else works, drill off the head using a bit a little larger than the screw thread diameter. Once you get through the head to the actual top of the screw, the head will pop off allowing you to get the spinner off. Then turn the screw out with a pair of pliers or vicegrips.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:17 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you resort to drilling the head off, try using a left handed bit. It may just grab and back the screw right out for you. We use this technique all the time for removing broken screws at work.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:12 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had success in this situation using a small easy-out. I had to grind the pointed end off the easy-out, to allow it to go to the bottom of the hex cavity.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
kqutob

Thanks guys , I finally drilled the head off & the spinner is still intact. I've learnt my lesson to use only good quality tools from now on , especially allen keys and screwdrivers!!
Thanks again